The Tsarina's Daughter by Carolly Erickson

The Tsarina's Daughter

by Carolly Erickson

Tania comes across as a bright caring girl. Usually it is Anastasia that is the one who survives. I think this is the first time I saw the idea that Nicholas had a mistresses. Usually Nicholas and Alexandra are portrayed as one of the great love stories of history. Nicholas in this book is week and Alexandra is nuts.

The Romanov Monarchy seems to have been doomed. Could they have ever agreed to giving up power? Would the tragedy had to have happened? If Nicholas has been trained to be a Tsar? If Alix wasn't a hemophiliac?

Tania's fear of institutionalizing her mother was understandable. The institutions of the day were primitive. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 21, 2017 |
Also a first time read of this author. This book gives a unique twist to the story of a surviving Romanoff daughter. Rather than holding with the usual suspicion that it was Anastasia who survived the family's massacre, this book takes the premise that it was the second daughter, Tatania. She is the narrator of the story. It was an interesting read, and gave a nicely balanced view of both life in the royal palace and on the streets of St. Petersburg. It also went into detail about the intertwined (confusing) geneology of all the european royalty at the time. I either never knew, realized or have forgotten how they were all related. Aside from the Russin revolution, the war was family declaring war on family ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book is borderline fantasy, because it takes a real person and generates an alternate reality for her.

Grand Duchess Tatiana Romanov was shot along with her siblings and her parents, Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra, in July 1918, when she was 21 years old. There were rumors for years that one of the tsar's four daughters (usually Anastasia) had survived, which were finally put to rest on April 30, 2008 with DNA testing. This book was published five months later.

Author Carolly Erickson has Tatiana, or "Tania," surviving and living in Canada under the name Daria, looking back on her life at the age of 92 in 1989. She escaped, and it's pretty clear early on that a young servant with revolutionary tendencies named Daria has taken her place and was murdered instead of her, but exactly how that comes about is not revealed until the end.

If you are looking for believable historical fiction, this is not the book for you. Erickson has Tatiana behaving in ways that were unrealistic for a girl of her time period and station in life. TWO lovers before the age of 18? Frequent trips away from the palace, on her own, to help at a clinic?

I'm not sure why the book is called "The Tsarina's Daughter." Why not "The Tsar's Daughter"? Supposedly Tatiana was her mother's favorite, but Erickson often has Tatiana thinking disparagingly of her mother and her weaknesses in the book. Tatiana was also supposedly very close to her older sister Olga, but that is not the impression one gets when reading this book.

However, many details of the book are based in truth. For example, the girls did sleep on camp beds as children, and the older two were nurses in World War II. Tatiana did apparently fall in love with one of the men she was nursing. I did feel, after listening to this book, that I had learned a little more about the lives of the Romanovs, and am interested in reading more about them.

British actress Susan Jameson is the reader. Her voice comes across as a bit too old for most of the characters. I suppose her British accent is appropriate, as Tatiana was the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria of England, but I cringed every time Jameson pronounced Olga's name as "Olger."

© Amanda Pape - 2015

[The audiobook, and a print copy for reference, were borrowed from and returned to my local public library. This review also appears on Bookin' It.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | Mar 30, 2015 |
La princesa Tatiana, ya en la vejez, rememora su infancia y juventud. La suya es una historia romántica, que habla de un tiempo ya extinguido, de intrigas y amores tempranos, de terribles realidades como la guerra y la pobreza, y también del esplendor de una gran corte cuyos muros ocultaban la miseria y la marginación del pueblo ruso.
  gfernandezceu | Oct 15, 2013 |
Please visit my blog for my full review:

This is a "what might have been" story of Tatiana Romanov, the second daughter of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra. The story itself wasn't bad . . . other than the fact that it was extremely far-fetched and the characters unbelievable. As a historical fiction, I would only rate this a 1 1/2 stars but as a work of fiction, I would give it 4 stars. I would recommend this book with extreme caution - if you are a purist, don't touch it as the inaccuracies will drive you crazy, however, if you don't care about the history aspect and you are just looking for a good story, then this is a decent read. ( )
  keida | Mar 15, 2012 |
My story begins at the extreme edge of memory, on a snowy January afternoon when I was six years old, and it seemed as if all the bells in all the churches of St. Petersburg were ringing at once.
Prologue: My name is Daria Gradov and I live in Yellow Rain, Saskatchewan.

It is 1989 and Daria Gradov is an elderly grandmother living in the rural West. What neighbors and even her children don’t know, however, is that she is not who she claims to be—the widow of a Russian immigrant of modest means. In actuality she began her life as the Grand Duchess Tatiana, known as Tania to her parents, Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra.

And so begins the latest entrancing historical entertainment by Carolly Erickson. At its center is young Tania, who lives a life of incomparable luxury in pre-Revolutionary Russia, from the magnificence of the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg to the family’s private enclave outside the capital. Tania is one of four daughters, and the birth of her younger brother Alexei is both a blessing and a curse. When he is diagnosed with hemophilia and the key to his survival lies in the mysterious power of the illiterate monk Rasputin, it is merely an omen of much worse things to come. Soon war breaks out and revolution sweeps the family from power and into claustrophobic imprisonment in Siberia. Into Tania’s world comes a young soldier whose life she helps to save and who becomes her partner in daring plans to rescue the imperial family from certain death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

From the bestselling author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette comes a dramatic novel and powerful love story about the last Russian imperial family. It is 1989 and Daria Gradov is an elderly grandmother living in the rural West. What neighbors and even her children don't know, however, is that she is not who she claims to be--the widow of a Russian immigrant of modest means. In actuality she began her life as the Grand Duchess Tatiana, known as Tania to her parents, Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,728,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible