The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey by…

The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey (2008)

by Emmanuel Goldstein

Usually I hate glossaries. They're usually simple, insulting, and useless. This book needs one though, given the wide range of time and technical materials. I got it from the library, but due to it being heavily requested and my schedule didn't make it through. I should have paid closer attention to the table of contents before I started and read it non-linearly. I think this book probably should have been a series, not on large tome. At least they should have pulled out the editorials and legal battles into a separate book which I would imagine would be useful to a researcher.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |
Nearly 20 years of a very specific part of computing history. If you are also interested in social and legal issues in terms of computer hacking and want to learn the details of famous cases such as the Mitnick case or DeCSS (DVD decryption) case this is a very good reference and a page turner. It also has quite technical bits which is definitely a plus.

Natural intelligence recommendation: If you liked this book then you'll also like Phrack ;-) ( )
  EmreSevinc | Apr 28, 2009 |
This book, and all of the articles contained herein, is dedicated to anyone who has in any way proclaimed themselves "different from the rest" and has had the courage to stand up against the forces of sameness which pervade our world. You have always been my inspiration.
The question we get asked more than any other at 2600 is how in the world did we pull this off? Meaning, I suppose, how did we manage to not only put out a magazine for nearly a quarter century that was written by hackers but also to get the mainstream public to take an interest in our subject matter?

Since 1984, the quarterly magazine 2600 has provided fascinating articles for readers who are curious about technology. Find the best of the magazine’s writing in Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey, a collection of the strongest, most interesting, and often most controversial articles covering 24 years of changes in technology, all from a hacker’s perspective. Included are stories about the creation of the infamous tone dialer “red box” that allowed hackers to make free phone calls from payphones, the founding of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and the insecurity of modern locks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,933,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible