The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Virgin Suicides (1993)

by Jeffrey Eugenides

8,893157339 (3.81)1 / 293
Recently added bysetherfan91, KelMunger, pattykins42, AryaDragon, mrwerner, private library, mcarmenbriones
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (readerbabe1984, RosyLibrarian)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: share the same exquisite sense of setting: boring, but not terrible suburban America, second half of last century.
    See How Small: A Novel by Scott Blackwood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (RosyLibrarian)
    Practical Jean by Trevor Cole (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (weener)
    weener: Both books with a srong sense of setting, with a sense of foreboding and decay.
    Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: The styles and narrative perspectives of these two books remind me strongly of one another.
    Whores on the Hill by Colleen Curran (jbarry)
    Paint It Black by Janet Fitch (jbarry)
    Quiet Chaos by Sandro Veronesi (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both original and intriguing stories about loss and grieving.
    We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (ainsleytewce)

English (149)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (156)
4th read of booktubeathon. This was just eh for me I've read a lot better suicide books before. ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
Oh me oh my what a marvelously different book. So I think that I am becoming a really big Eugenides fan. His ability to write about the most uncommon topics (a family of suicidal sisters? hermaphrodites?--the man has a good imagination)...and his storytelling is unique as well.

This story, uniquely enough, is told by a narrator who never really identifies himself, but only says that "we" (he and his friends?) were obsessed with the Lisbon girls. He tells the story of how after one sister kills herself, the entire family sort of retreats from life...until the other sisters do so as well.

The thing I appreciate about this book about suicide is that during the entire thing as the reader I am wondering "WHY!? Why did they do it?!" But in the end, the narrator has no answer. Was it bravery? Cowardice? Not a clue. For me this makes it real, which I find better than him coming up with an answer that might have appeased my curiosity...but left me critical of the entire book. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Mr. Eugenides is blessed with the storyteller's most magical gift, the ability to transform the mundane into the extraordinary.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Suzanne Berne (Apr 25, 1993)

Adopting a tone simultaneously elegiac and loony, The Virgin Suicides takes the dark stuff of Greek tragedy and reworks it into an eccentric, mesmerizing, frequently hilarious American fantasy about the tyranny of unrequited love, and the unknowable heart of every family on earth — but especially the family next door.

Jeffrey Eugenidesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gus and Wanda
On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide -- it was Mary this time, and the sleeping pills, like Therese -- the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope.
Obviously, Doctor… you’ve never been a thirteen-year-old girl.
They knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all.
The girls were right in choosing to love Trip, because he was the only boy who could keep his mouth shut.

Juxtaposing the most common and the most gothic, the humorous and the tragic, author Jeffrey Eugenides creates a vivid and compelling portrait of youth and lost innocence. He takes us back to the elm-lined streets of suburbia in the seventies, and introduces us to the men whose lives have been forever changed by their fierce, awkward obsession with five doomed sisters: brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and pale, saintly Cecilia, whose spectacular demise inaugurates "the year of the suicides." This is the debut novel that caused a sensation and won immediate acclaim from the critics-a tender, wickedly funny tale of love and terror, sex and suicide, memory and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:08 -0400)

The narrator and his friends piece together the events that led up to the suicides of the Lisbon girls--brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and saintly Cecilia.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible