The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Virgin Suicides (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Jeffrey Eugenides

9,410185312 (3.8)1 / 312
Member:chevrefeuille
Title:The Virgin Suicides
Authors:Jeffrey Eugenides
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1994), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, suicide, american, mi, 1970's, fiction, pb, mooched, outstanding

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (1993)

Recently added byeeminxs, Mnedge, Midge427, private library, sandrikoti, NoraWorkman, elctrcmyhm, pprocko115, Jessica66
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: share the same exquisite sense of setting: boring, but not terrible suburban America, second half of last century.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian)
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (rosylibrarian)
    See How Small by Scott Blackwood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Crime in the Neighborhood by Suzanne Berne (si)
    Practical Jean: A Novel (P.S.) by Trevor Cole (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (weener)
    weener: Both books with a srong sense of setting, with a sense of foreboding and decay.
    Quiet Chaos by Sandro Veronesi (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both original and intriguing stories about loss and grieving.
    Paint It Black by Janet Fitch (jbarry)
    Whores on the Hill: A Novel by Colleen Curran (jbarry)
    Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: The styles and narrative perspectives of these two books remind me strongly of one another.
    We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (ainsleytewce)

English (174)  Dutch (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (184)
First of all, I gotta say I really loved this book. It’s one of those books that I wasn’t entirely sure I was enjoying or understanding while I was reading it, and I found it aggravating at times, but it still has me thinking about it a week after I finished it.

Full review → Joie des Livres ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
Having seen the movie already, I was thrilled at how much more depth and breadth of plot, character development, and beauty was in these pages. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book was well written, no doubt about that. For me, this book belongs to a genre that's one of a kind, where the goal isn't to solve anything - it's to tell a story. It reminds me of the "Submarine" movie I recently watched. Anyway, it wasn't bad but it just wasn't exactly my type of book. I never really got hooked, and yes, there were moments when I felt a bit more drawn to it but overall it was more of a 'passing through' than anything. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This is not a good book.

Also, I do not care about Trip's nipples. There, I said it.
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
I knew the rough plot already from having seen the movie years ago, but the book still managed to blow me away. The language was gorgeous and sumptuous, which made an amazing contrast to the somber subject of the novel. I will pick up another book by Eugenides soon, to see how he weaves words around a different subject. Anyone have a particular recommendation?

It's been a long time since I was so impressed with both the command of language (such descriptions!) and the mastery of plot and pacing. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Mr. Eugenides is blessed with the storyteller's most magical gift, the ability to transform the mundane into the extraordinary.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Suzanne Berne (Apr 25, 1993)

Adopting a tone simultaneously elegiac and loony, The Virgin Suicides takes the dark stuff of Greek tragedy and reworks it into an eccentric, mesmerizing, frequently hilarious American fantasy about the tyranny of unrequited love, and the unknowable heart of every family on earth — but especially the family next door.

Jeffrey Eugenidesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gus and Wanda
On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide -- it was Mary this time, and the sleeping pills, like Therese -- the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope.
Obviously, Doctor… you’ve never been a thirteen-year-old girl.
They knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all.
The girls were right in choosing to love Trip, because he was the only boy who could keep his mouth shut.

Juxtaposing the most common and the most gothic, the humorous and the tragic, author Jeffrey Eugenides creates a vivid and compelling portrait of youth and lost innocence. He takes us back to the elm-lined streets of suburbia in the seventies, and introduces us to the men whose lives have been forever changed by their fierce, awkward obsession with five doomed sisters: brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and pale, saintly Cecilia, whose spectacular demise inaugurates "the year of the suicides." This is the debut novel that caused a sensation and won immediate acclaim from the critics-a tender, wickedly funny tale of love and terror, sex and suicide, memory and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

The narrator and his friends piece together the events that led up to the suicides of the Lisbon girls--brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and saintly Cecilia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,877,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible