The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Virgin Suicides (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Jeffrey Eugenides

9,301178322 (3.8)1 / 309
Member:chevrefeuille
Title:The Virgin Suicides
Authors:Jeffrey Eugenides
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1994), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, suicide, american, mi, 1970's, fiction, pb, mooched, outstanding

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (1993)

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: share the same exquisite sense of setting: boring, but not terrible suburban America, second half of last century.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian)
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (rosylibrarian)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    See How Small by Scott Blackwood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Practical Jean: A Novel (P.S.) by Trevor Cole (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (weener)
    weener: Both books with a srong sense of setting, with a sense of foreboding and decay.
    Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: The styles and narrative perspectives of these two books remind me strongly of one another.
    Quiet Chaos by Sandro Veronesi (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both original and intriguing stories about loss and grieving.
    Paint It Black by Janet Fitch (jbarry)
    Whores on the Hill: A Novel by Colleen Curran (jbarry)
    We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (ainsleytewce)

English (167)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (176)
very sad book, not very likable characters ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |

1 vote thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - Good

Listed in the 1001 books you must read before you die http://www.listology.com/list/1001-books-you-must-read-you-die

Listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/23/bestbooks-fiction

So this book is listed in the above challenges and I have no idea why. Granted it was an interesting read, well written etc. But one of the great books? Don't really thing so myself. Anyway...

The five Lisbon sisters are living a quite sheltered life. Their father teaches at the school they attend, they rarely socialise in school let alone out of it. They seem quite self contained until the day the youngest attempts suicide. From there it is a spiral of disintegration as the parents first try to widen their social circle and then, following a second, successful attempt, clamp down on the girls until they rarely leave the house and no longer attend school, let alone socialise.

All this is documented by a group of boys that attend the same school, live in the same neighbourhood. They watch over and fantasise about the girls and continue to do so long after the events of that fateful year have passed.

Ok, as I write this, maybe it is better than I initially thought. Worth a read, but maybe not a 1001!

PS I do hate books that don't have a good chapter structure...there is never a good point to put it down!

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Mr. Eugenides is blessed with the storyteller's most magical gift, the ability to transform the mundane into the extraordinary.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Suzanne Berne (Apr 25, 1993)

Adopting a tone simultaneously elegiac and loony, The Virgin Suicides takes the dark stuff of Greek tragedy and reworks it into an eccentric, mesmerizing, frequently hilarious American fantasy about the tyranny of unrequited love, and the unknowable heart of every family on earth — but especially the family next door.

Jeffrey Eugenidesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gus and Wanda
On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide -- it was Mary this time, and the sleeping pills, like Therese -- the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope.
Obviously, Doctor… you’ve never been a thirteen-year-old girl.
They knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all.
The girls were right in choosing to love Trip, because he was the only boy who could keep his mouth shut.

Juxtaposing the most common and the most gothic, the humorous and the tragic, author Jeffrey Eugenides creates a vivid and compelling portrait of youth and lost innocence. He takes us back to the elm-lined streets of suburbia in the seventies, and introduces us to the men whose lives have been forever changed by their fierce, awkward obsession with five doomed sisters: brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and pale, saintly Cecilia, whose spectacular demise inaugurates "the year of the suicides." This is the debut novel that caused a sensation and won immediate acclaim from the critics-a tender, wickedly funny tale of love and terror, sex and suicide, memory and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

The narrator and his friends piece together the events that led up to the suicides of the Lisbon girls--brainy Therese, fastidious Mary, ascetic Bonnie, libertine Lux, and saintly Cecilia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible