The Holy Bible: New King James Version…

The Holy Bible: New King James Version (NKJV) (1982)

by Bible, NKJV

I have a vast array of Bibles in my collection, but this will definitely be one of my favorites – an extraordinary Bible!

The Bible brings to life the Authors, an Outline of each book, Culture Notes, Photos, Timeline, Maps, and this second edition is now presented in color. I found the annotations to be a very important feature, offering helpful explanation to the Scripture verses. Also included, are the Articles – over 100 articles for closer study of Christian doctrines – this was a favorite feature. And there is so much more --- truly a study Bible that will enable you to get the most out of reading God’s word.

Two negative comments – The Bible is heavy, making it hard to handle, and the words of Jesus are not printed in red. But these comments do not alter my 5 star rating. An absolutely superb Bible!

I received a complimentary copy of this Bible from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  wrbinpa | Oct 27, 2014 |
My favorite translation ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |

First off, I don't think I actually would recommend reading the Old Testament (or indeed the Bible) through from start to finish as I did. It wasn't written or compiled to be read in that way, and it doesn't do the text any services to read as if it were a novel, a short story collection, or a book of essays and meditations. I chose this approach because I wanted to feel that I had control of what I was reading, and that I was not missing anything, but if you want to get a fair flavour of it, it's probably better to follow one of the many reading guides available online and elsewhere, which are designed both to showcase the good bits and to keep the reader interested.

Second, a lot of it is pretty dull, actually. 2 Chronicles in particular comes close to Mark Twain's description of the Book of Mormon, as "choroform in print". Large chunks of the Pentateuch are lists of laws and, even less exciting, census returns. The historical bits have an awful lot of tediously horrible ethnic cleansing and dynastic struggle, leavened by the occasional good bit (the Saul/David/Solomon succession in particular). The prophets are rather indistinguishable in tone of outrage. I recommend finding some way of skipping the dull bits.

Third, the good bits are indeed good. I've singled out the Book of Job in a previous post; I found the Psalms generally inspiring and uplifting, and I've always been a fan of Ecclesiastes. The narrative histories, which I thought I knew fairly well, still had some surprises for me - in Numbers 12, God smites Moses' sister with leprosy for racism towards Moses' black wife, for instance. There are some fun bits in the prophets - Jonah, and the deuterocanonical addenda to Daniel (Susanna, and Bel and the Dragon). I also rather liked Sirach, aka Ecclesiasticus, which again is deuterocanonical. And 2 Maccabees is a fairly lucid, if brutal, historical note to finish on.

Fourth, there were indeed a few themes running through the entire OT whose importance I hadn't perhaps fully grasped: the importance of God's endowing his people with the land, the importance of the cult of the Temple, and the trauma of the Babylonian exile (which of course shaped most of the text we have very directly). I'm not saying that these are the only or even the main main themes, but that these are the ones whose importance was enhanced for me by reading through the entire thing.

As for the New Testament: it falls rather naturally into three sections. The Gospels and Acts are among the most readable narratives in the Bible; the most striking things are that the three synoptic gospels are so very close to each other, leaving John as the outlier, and that Luke's better Greek prose style comes through in almost any translation of his gospel and Acts. I am also struck every time that the Feeding of the Five Thousand is the only miracle other than the Resurrection reported in all four gospels.

I was much less familiar with the various epistles. They are not as easy to read as the gospels, combining as they do advice on local disputed, personal salutations, declarations about correct practice and belief, and attempts to put words on the ineffable (Hebrews in particular is an attempt at a theological manifesto avant la lettre). I was struck by how hardline Paul is, particularly in the early letters, on the issues that hardliners still stick to today, and also on the question of justification by faith; but there is a significant counterbalance from some of the later letters, especially 1 Peter which seems to be a direct response in some ways. (And the Epistle of Jude seems strangely familiar after 2 Peter ch 2...)

Finally, Revelation is the most Old Testament-y of the New Testament books. (There is nothing like the letters in the Old Testament, and the gospels and Acts are quite different in style from the OT historical books.) Again, Revelation is an attempt to express in words that which cannot be expressed in words; it is clearly not meant to be taken literally, but as one person's attempt to concretise the underlying truths.
  nwhyte | Dec 31, 2012 |
Thomas Nelson, Inc. is the copyright holder for The New King James Version (NKJV). Nelson first published it in its completed form in 1982, though they first published their NKJV translation of the New Testament in 1979 and Psalms in 1980. According to Wikipedia, the NKJV translation project began in 1975 and involved "130 biblical scholars, pastors, and theologians." The purpose of the new translation was to modernize the language of the text, while maintaining the flavor and style of the translation commissioned by Britain's King James and first published in 1611.

At least one website is devoted to a blow-by-blow refutation of the NKJV on the basis that it could not be the word of God if it varies from the original King James Version (KJV). Most biblical scholars take a broader view of translations -- examining them, comparing them to earlier translations in various languages, and offering opinions about their usefulness in determining what the original writers of the texts intended.

My particular edition of Nelson's NKJV features their "Brown Aniline Gloss Pigskin" cover. This was my mother's bible and was not heavily used. However, the cover, which was not trimmed to the size of the pages, has not held up over time; the bottom edges have flattened and chipped. No doubt a more expensive edition would not have these problems.

Following the biblical text, is a 28-page dictionary-concordance, which includes a list of abrreviations of Books of the Bible, a Key to Pronunciation, and a dictionary-style alphabetical index of biblical terms and key personages portrayed. The front-cover end pages feature a presentation page (for gift inscriptions), and the back-cover end pages feature a color map of the Old Testament Holy Land.

The NKJV, as well as other editions of the Christian bible, are available for free download on the Internet.
  bookcrazed | Jan 28, 2012 |
NO OF PAGES: 1104 SUB CAT I: Bible SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: New King James Version compact text Bible. Verse style, translators footnotes, words of Christ in red, concise dictionary concordance, in-text subject headings. Nelson Compact Text Bible: Now there's an edition of the dependable, accurate New King James Version in compact size. This size is everybody's favorite to take everywhere, for looking up passages quickly or just reading! This handy, 4-by-6-inch Bible is just the right size to hold, but the type is still plenty big. And it has headings and a dictionary-concordance too! This will quickly become your favorite NKJV Bible to have with you and use constantly.NOTES: Donated by Debra? SUBTITLE: New King James Version
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
added by austin123ring123 | editholy bible, austin ring

Bibleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NKJVmain authorall editionsconfirmed
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."(Matthew 5:48)

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"(Romans 3:23)

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."(Romans 6:23)

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."(John 3:16)

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, lest anyone should boast."(Ephesians 2:8-9)

"He said, It is finished!"(John 19:30)
This is a different translation than the "King James Version". Please combine it only with other New King James Versions. Combine it only with complete editions, not with the New Testament on its own, and not with editions including the Apocrypha, which should be combined into a separate work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0718015592, Imitation Leather)

Enhance your time reading and exploring God's Word. Experience a whole new level of visual comfort and biblical study with Thomas Nelson’s NKJV Personal Size Giant Print End-of-Verse Reference Bible. This Bible is filled with references and study aids to strengthen your Bible reading. Plus, it features giant print type, making reading more enjoyable than ever. Ideal for individual study, teaching, and ministry work, this trusted edition of the Holy Bible will enhance your time exploring the beauty and meaning of God’s Word.

Features include:

End-of-verse references and translation notes Family record section Bible book introductions Stars marking messianic prophecies Words of Jesus in red Concordance Full-color maps 2 ribbon markers Type size: 11

Part of the CLASSIC SERIES line of Thomas Nelson Bibles

Personal Size Giant Print End-of-Verse Reference Bibles sold to date: More than 3.5 million

The New King James Version—More than 60 million copies sold in 30 years

Thomas Nelson Bibles is giving back through the God’s Word in Action program. Donating a portion of profits to World Vision, we are helping to eradicate poverty and preventable deaths among children. Learn more and discover what you can do at www.seegodswordinaction.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

This Bible includes three-column typesetting and "top-of-page subject headings", plus a short introductory section.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible