Icarus in Flight by Hayden Thorne

Icarus in Flight

by Hayden Thorne

This is a young adult novel. For teens from 14 years old and up. So reading it I tried to imagine myself like an innocent girl or boy, and then I reprimanded myself: how much innocent are 14 years old boys? Giving that I was 13 years old when I read my first romance, probably not much. All this introduction to say that I didn't find Icarus in Flight a novel strictly for teens, actually I think it is a very good reading for all ages and sincerely I think that an older reader will appreciate it more than an innocent boy.

James is the only son of a wealthy family. He has two sisters, but obviously he will be the heir and so the future master of their life. And so James is pretty self conscious of his role, and let me say, not a very naivee boy. At 12 years old he is well aware of his 'importance' and of his influence in others life. When he meets David, 11 years old and orphaned, newly arrived in his boarding school and with a bitter future ahead of him like the target of all the bullies in the school, James decides to take him under his patronage. David has only his brother as relative, and when James offers him friendship and shelter, he readily accepts, turning James in his personal idol to worship.

James's superiority and self-consciousness grows farther on when his father suddenly died, leaving him to his new role as master of the house at only 14 years old. James grows too fast and too soon and he also decides that he will be the caretaker of young David, more so when the boy loses also his brother. Soon before James's departure for college the relationship between James and David shifts from friendship to love, still remaining innocent also for all the period during which James is at college. But when he is again at home, with also more experiences behind his shoulders, also of sexual things, he is ready to tighten the bonds between him and David.

But David, probably tired to be always in charge of someone else, and fearing to lose himself in James' embrace, even if it's desired and cherished, asks for time and space. No good comes from the separation and the two men take different paths risking to lose not only their love but also themself in the process.

Since the young characters begin their coming of age journey when they are still very young, this is probably considered a young adult novel. And probably because there isn't graphic sex... but mind you on the term, I said 'graphic', I didn't say that there isn't sex, since in my opinion, what sex you will find in this novel is somewhat more sensual and deepen of what you will find in other romance. This is first of all a love story: even if James and David grow apart, the reader knows that they are star-crossed lovers and that they are right for each other.

This is a Victorian novel and it's finely crafted in details and words: there are not a lot of political events or figure to set the story, apart a note about the Great Exhibition in London, all the story is made more of family interiors and small receivements. I love above all the letters James and David exchange for all the course of the story, lately I notice that I'm fond of love correspondences.

So in the end, I arrive to two possible conclusion: or I have a young soul, and so I can love a tale written for teens, or Icarus in Flight is a novel that can satisfy a wider range of age.

elisa.rolle | May 30, 2008 |
added by gsc55 | editThe Novel Approach, Lisa (Mar 11, 2014)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,442,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible