The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden (2008)

by Kate Morton

Cassandra is lost, alone and grieving. Her much loved grandmother, Nell, has just died and Cassandra, her life already shaken by a tragic accident ten years ago, feels like she has lost everything dear to her. But an unexpected and mysterious bequest from Nell turns Cassandra's life upside down and ends up challenging everything she thought she knew about herself and her family. Inheriting a book of dark and intriguing fairytales written by Eliza Makepeace - the Victorian authoress who disappeared mysteriously in the early twentieth century - Cassandra takes her courage in both hands to follow in the footsteps of Nell on a quest to find out the truth about their history, their family and their past; little knowing that in the process, she will also discover a new life for herself.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (DaraBrooke)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (starfishian, Loriel143)
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (starfishian, Cecrow)
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Anonymous user)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (starfishian)
    The Savage Garden by Mark Mills (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In each of these atmospheric novels tinged with all the best aspects of gothic novels -- old estates, family secrets, suspicious deaths -- a garden holds the answers the protagonists seek.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (bookworm12)
    The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (dara85)
    The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell (tandah)
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: So many similarities: the use of fairy tales, the multiple storylines in different time periods, the research into the past and family secrets
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (tandah)
    Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Family secrets
    The Dream House by Rachel Hore (eilidhm)

English (369)  Spanish (10)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (405)
A wonderful, engrossing book. Kate Morton has a real gift for bringing the reader into the story - the people, the locations, the sights, the sounds - it all feels very real.

The story itself, as is typical for Kate Morton, is an intriguing multi-generational mystery, unraveled enticingly for the reader. ( )
  adam.currey | Jan 25, 2020 |
Too depressing, putting down for now
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
I still think about this book.

I loved the imagery of what a garden looks like. I appreciate gardens and landscapes more after this book especially since we moved to a home with beautiful plane.

Kate Morton does a wonderful job showing what motivates a character. I liked that, benefited from it, and appreciated the wisdom in seeing how motivations affect the choices we make. ( )
  Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
Mayores de 18 años
  Alba26 | Aug 23, 2019 |
This story drew me in. I liked the mystery and I like how the author wove the different women and generation's stories to slowly reveal the answers to the reader. I found the book hard to put down while I was reading it and easy to pick up again when I had the opportunity. The characters all had their flaws, but I connected to them and their search for answers. The author also did a great job creating a sense of place and atmosphere. I will definitely look for more by this author in the future.
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
All the pieces don’t quite mesh, but it’s a satisfying read overall, just the thing for readers who like multigenerational sagas with a touch of mystery.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Mary Ellen Quinn (Apr 15, 2009)

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Overs.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mock-Maniscalco, DavinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroeder, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver and Louis
More precious than all the spun gold in Fairyland
It was dark where she was crouched but the little girl did as she'd been told.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.
The key to an old
Secret will be found in the
Forgotten garden.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,288,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible