The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kate Morton

Member:Cariola
Title:The Forgotten Garden
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Pan Books (2008), Paperback, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, General Fiction, Audiobooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, 21st century, British, audiobook

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2008)

English (281)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Basque (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (308)
I think Kate Morton is a developing author with great potential and this novel proves it. I found the book very engaging, interesting mystery-type plot, amazing sense of place. Some things I didn't like: an early story line never seemed to develop into much. And often times I had to read and re-read sentences and change emphasis on various words to figure out the meaning of the sentence. (Trying to read it in the way I think the author meant). Little things. But I can't wait to read more of this author's books though, good things are coming I'm sure. ( )
  jsalmeron | Dec 8, 2014 |
Loved the allusions to The secret garden and Frances Hodgson Burnett woven into the story,Really enjoyed Morton's descriptive prose, and the story held my attention.
  leica | Dec 2, 2014 |
Book Club 2010, 4th book our choice
  deirdrebrown | Nov 6, 2014 |
Overall this was a well written book. It moved smoothly between the various timelines, and it really kept my attention. However, I found most of the characters self-centered and generally unsympathetic. I would try another of Kate Morton's books to see if I find the characters more likeable. ( )
  ang709 | Oct 5, 2014 |
Excellent! ( )
  debralu | Oct 3, 2014 |
All the pieces don’t quite mesh, but it’s a satisfying read overall, just the thing for readers who like multigenerational sagas with a touch of mystery.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Mary Ellen Quinn (Apr 15, 2009)

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faulkner, IanMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mock-Maniscalco, DavinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver and Louis More precious than all the spun gold in Fairyland
It was dark where she was crouched but the little girl did as she'd been told.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.
The key to an old
Secret will be found in the
Forgotten garden.
(passion4reading)

"From the author of "The House at Riverton" comes a story of outer and inner journeys as "Nell," abandoned as a child, leaves her adoptive parents in Australia and travels to England to trace her story, to find her real identity--a quest that ultimately leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible