The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kate Morton

Member:Cariola
Title:The Forgotten Garden
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Pan Books (2008), Paperback, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, General Fiction, Audiobooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, 21st century, British, audiobook

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2008)

Recently added byrena200, Henbaben

English (285)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Basque (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (316)
This is one of the better books I've ever read. Beautiful writing. I admit that sometimes I was a bit mindful on how long it was, but I enjoyed seeing how the story unfolded from multiple points of view. I highly recommend! The only people who wouldn't love it are those who don't like "literary" or descriptive books. I love them. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was a gorgeous listening. Usually, I wouldn't read or listen such stories because this light fiction is mostly too 'sweet'. In this case it was the contrary. I liked the time switching between the beginning of the 20th century to the 70s and nowadays. It's the story of an old lady who was searching for her roots but wasn't able to fulfil her task. Therefore her ganddaughter is solving the puzzle of their ancestry and the mystery which their ancestores are mystified.
This story shows also life in the Victorian time but also a kind of surrogate motherhood in a very early time. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 13, 2015 |
This is a terrific story. It requires a good deal of perseverance, especially through the first third or so. There is a lot of flowery language and very detailed descriptions of flowers, walls, the sea, a cup and saucer, etc. The attention to detail interferes with the story a bit. However, about half way through you can start to see the various strands of the story taking shape and intertwining. If you can make it that far its well worth sticking with it until the end.

grandpahobo | Mar 22, 2015 |
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton had many of the ingredients that I look for in a juicy read. Troubled women, interesting relationships between the aforementioned women, wonderful settings like the romantic Cornish coast, a tantalizing mystery that included a tumble down cottage and a secret garden. I should have been in reading heaven, but instead at times I found myself struggling to finish the book.

I do seem a little off with my reading right now, and so I am not going to post my thoughts to the books’ page as I fear my quibbles are more to do with me than the book. I think part of my problem was that I found the character of Nell rather cold and unlikable. As she was the center of the book, not caring about her meant that I always felt a sense of detachment from the story.

This is a monumental effort from the author, she has created a multi-layered, generational story of a family and it’s secrets. I actually thought there would be a bigger punch when the final reveal came, but for me, there were no surprises as I had worked out what had happened long before the end of the book. Overall, I found [The Forgotten Garden] to be an oddly-plotted but lushly written story that held both spell-binding moments but unfortunately also some mind-numbing ones as well. I will certainly pick up another book by this author as I believe she shows a great deal of promise. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 8, 2015 |
I think Kate Morton is a developing author with great potential and this novel proves it. I found the book very engaging, interesting mystery-type plot, amazing sense of place. Some things I didn't like: an early story line never seemed to develop into much. And often times I had to read and re-read sentences and change emphasis on various words to figure out the meaning of the sentence. (Trying to read it in the way I think the author meant). Little things. But I can't wait to read more of this author's books though, good things are coming I'm sure. ( )
  jsalmeron | Feb 26, 2015 |
All the pieces don’t quite mesh, but it’s a satisfying read overall, just the thing for readers who like multigenerational sagas with a touch of mystery.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Mary Ellen Quinn (Apr 15, 2009)

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faulkner, IanMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mock-Maniscalco, DavinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver and Louis More precious than all the spun gold in Fairyland
It was dark where she was crouched but the little girl did as she'd been told.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.
The key to an old
Secret will be found in the
Forgotten garden.
(passion4reading)

"From the author of "The House at Riverton" comes a story of outer and inner journeys as "Nell," abandoned as a child, leaves her adoptive parents in Australia and travels to England to trace her story, to find her real identity--a quest that ultimately leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,243,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible