The Forgotten Garden: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Kate Morton

Member:FionaWh
Title:The Forgotten Garden: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Washington Square Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 560 pages
Tags:from the Library, 1900 to 2005, England, Australia, from Trina

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2008)

English (278)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Basque (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (305)
Overall this was a well written book. It moved smoothly between the various timelines, and it really kept my attention. However, I found most of the characters self-centered and generally unsympathetic. I would try another of Kate Morton's books to see if I find the characters more likeable. ( )
  ang709 | Oct 5, 2014 |
Excellent! ( )
  debralu | Oct 3, 2014 |
In 1913, when Nell was 4 yrs. old, she was abandoned on a wharf in Australia. At the age of 21, she finds this out and is determined to locate her missing family. Told in alternating voices, readers travel between the early years of Nell's life, to her search in the 70's to her granddaughter's quest in 2005 after Nell's death. Intertwined in the narrative is a compelling mystery that draws readers in and makes you continually wonder what really happened. No one was more surprised than I was when the answers were finally revealed. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This is a story about a 98 year old woman in the present day who tells us the story of when she went to work as a maid at Riverton House in 1914, when she was 14. We read about her relationship with the family, especially the children. We learn secrets about Grace & her mother, and there are other secrets we learn about later on, also. We watch the lives of the family as well as the lives of the servants, as we go through World War I and beyond. I found this book to be intense and touching. It goes back and forth between the present day and the past. It gave me a surreal feeling of being sort of in Victorian times, even though it's the early 1900s, as well as the present day. It kept me interested from the first page to the last. ( )
  jaybird56 | Aug 30, 2014 |

I stayed up late to finish this, so it has that going for it. It's a great little (well, it's actually rather long) tale, and for the most part well-told. My main pet peeves were with obvious plot twists and obvious structural analogies.

First, it's a mystery, and Morton does a great job stringing out that mystery by flipping between three different timelines, so you get ever closer to the answers as you progress.

Second, it's about women, and pretty much only women. Mothers, daughters, grandaughters, cousins, you name it. There's usually a pairing of women - a cousin with a cousin, a mother with a daughter, etc. - throughout the novel. This is where her structure tended to annoy me - oh, look, another set of women who work well or don't work well together. We get it.

Third, unfortunately, what she bases her entire story on is a few extremely tried-n-true plot devices. You see them coming a mile off - and while the story is still entertaining (she is a decent descriptive writer, after all) - there's little to no impact when they are revealed.

Fourth, I loved the setting. I want a cottage on an English seaside cliff with a hidden garden. As if I didn't want one before. But her flowery description of this one made the idea even more enticing. ( )
  khage | Aug 27, 2014 |
All the pieces don’t quite mesh, but it’s a satisfying read overall, just the thing for readers who like multigenerational sagas with a touch of mystery.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Mary Ellen Quinn (Apr 15, 2009)

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faulkner, IanMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mock-Maniscalco, DavinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver and Louis More precious than all the spun gold in Fairyland
It was dark where she was crouched but the little girl did as she'd been told.

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.
The key to an old
Secret will be found in the
Forgotten garden.
(passion4reading)

"From the author of "The House at Riverton" comes a story of outer and inner journeys as "Nell," abandoned as a child, leaves her adoptive parents in Australia and travels to England to trace her story, to find her real identity--a quest that ultimately leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family."… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,491,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible