A Conspiracy of Paper: A Novel (Ballantine…

A Conspiracy of Paper: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (edition 2001)

by David Liss

Member:ElizabethEWS
Title:A Conspiracy of Paper: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:David Liss
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:historical fiction

A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss

The Coffee Trader by David Liss (Limelite)
    Limelite: More economic and financial devilry surrounding the East India Company and, of course, coffee. Also featuring another scion of the Lienzo family; this time set in the Low Countries. Of 3 Liss novels I've read (all good) this is the best.
    Sea Change by Robert Goddard (shelfoflisa)
    The Fifth Servant by Kenneth Wishnia (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both have rich historical settings and a smart mouth, streetwise main character.
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (amyblue)

The very first stock market crash: read about how the whole mess started and you won't be too surprised about where we have ended up. There are fun mysteries to solve along the way, and some colorful characters. Seems a little long, plot kinda drags in spots, but a good read overall. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is a good entertainment, and thoroughly researched. An example of the fun to be had in early Eighteenth Centuery London, with enough research done to avoid invoking any blatantly famous figures. Our detective is a clearly drawn character, and the times are well enough drawn to offer insights on the roles and penalties of Jews living in London. The love interest is well drawn, and the mystery satisfyingly deep. Tangentially we learn a good deal about the origins of the London Stock Exchange, and some of its curious habits at the time. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 2, 2016 |
Historical murder mystery set in 1719 London. Among the ruffians, double-dealers and stock-jobbers, the truth is an elusive quarry for the ex-pugilist Benjamin Weaver. From alehouse to putrid alleyway, Weaver, anglicized but still an Iberian Jew among the stereotyping London society, fights through misinformation (as does the reader) on his way to solve the odd "self-murder" of his estranged father. Much intrigue, plenty of twists, all well-invisioned and presented by author. Not a favorite duo of genres, but this one succeeded in keeping the brow knitted. ( )
  JamesMScott | Nov 23, 2015 |
This big, meaty historical thriller about dodgy dealings that threaten a widespread financial crisis was a bit of a revelation. Liss manages to evoke an eighteenth-century voice and mind-set while rendering both utterly readable. Dextrous plotting, devious characters, witty lessons in philosophy and finance, and controlled bursts of violence and action power this novel along to its conclusion.

Benjamin Weaver, ex-boxer turned thief-taker, is the proto-Marlowe on these mean London streets, drawn into the new-fledged world of the proto-stock market when hired to look into an apparent suicide. What compels Weaver to reluctantly take the case is the suicide's connection to his father, run down by a carriage at around the same time. Not only is he drawn into the web of dealing and double-dealing at the Exchange, he also finds himself making contact with his family, members of London's close-knit Jewish community, and the web of corruption and conspiracy is wide enough to cover both.

Yes, well, entirely apart from the resonances the book will have for the modern reader, set as it is on the cusp of the South Sea Bubble, this brilliantly imagined and vividly rendered is thoroughly interesting and entertaining from start to finish. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Liss has created a niche for himself with his series of books centered on struggles with economic and financial incidents and initiations. Here we meet the most alienated protagonist of my recent memory who bears all the hallmarks of the serial hero. He's a Jew among Christians; he's a former professional boxer among gentlemen; he's without financial ambition or significant riches in an era of greed; and he's possessed of a strong moral compass in a city filled with corrupt financiers.

All those characteristics make for a period private eye who while just setting out on this hobby-career, shows doggedness, an ability to learn deductive reasoning; and an orientation to Good. If that's not the personality of a blooming detective, I need to re-read Christie.

Historical accuracy combined with insights into the world of investment chicanery, and the promise of an investigator whose skills will increase with experience lead to a satisfying, though not stellar, read and a tasty dip into the beginnings of the London Exchange, the cultural prejudices of 18th C. English peoples, and the conflicts of outsiders in a closed and tightly controlled society. In sum, I enjoyed an entertaining yarn perfectly balanced with historical instruction. ( )
  Limelite | Sep 11, 2015 |
For some years now, the gentlemen of the book trade have pressed me in the most urgent fashion to commit my memoirs to paper; for, these men have argued, there are many who would gladly pay a few shillings to learn of the true and surprising adventures of my life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0804119120, Paperback)

A fool and his money are soon parted--and nowhere so quickly as in the stock market, it would seem. In David Liss's ambitious first novel, A Conspiracy of Paper, the year is 1719 and the place London, where human greed, apparently, operated then in much the same manner as it does today. Liss focuses his intricate tale of murder, money, and conspiracy on Benjamin Weaver, ex-boxer, self-described "protector, guardian, bailiff, constable-for-hire, and thief-taker," and son of a Portuguese Jewish "stock-jobber." Weaver's father, from whom he has been estranged, has recently died, the victim of a horse-drawn carriage hit and run. Though his uncle has suggested that the accident wasn't quite so accidental, Benjamin doesn't give the idea much credence:
I blush to own I rewarded his efforts to seek my opinion with only a formal reply in which I dismissed his ideas as nonsensical. I did so in part because I did not wish to involve myself with my family and in part because I knew that my uncle, for reasons that eluded me, had loved my father and could not accept the senselessness of so random a death.
But then Benjamin is hired by two different men to solve two seemingly unrelated cases. One client, Mr. Balfour, claims his own father's unexpected death "was made to look like self-murder so that a villain or villains could take his money with impunity," and even suggests there might be a link between Balfour senior's death and that of Weaver's father. His next customer is Sir Owen Nettleton, an aristocrat who is keen to recover some highly confidential papers that were stolen from him while he cavorted with a prostitute. Weaver takes on the first case with some reluctance, the second with more enthusiasm. In the end, both converge, leading him back to his family even as they take him deep into the underbelly of London's financial markets.

Liss seems right at home in the world he's created, whether describing the company manners of wealthy Jewish merchants at home or the inner workings of Exchange Alley--the 18th-century version of Wall Street. His London is a dank and filthy place, almost lawless but for the scant protection offered by such rogues as Jonathan Wilde, the sinister head of a gang of thieves who profits by selling back to their owners items stolen by his own men. Though better connected socially, the investors involved with the shady South Sea Company have equally larcenous hearts, and Liss does an admirable job of leading the reader through the intricacies of stock trading, bond selling, and insider trading with as little fuss, muss, and confusion as possible. What really makes the book come alive, however, are the details of 18th-century life--from the boxing matches our hero once participated in to the coffee houses, gin joints, and brothels where he trolls for clues. And then there is the matter of Weaver's Jewishness, the prejudices of the society he lives in, and his struggle to come to terms with his own ethnicity. A Conspiracy of Paper weaves all these themes together in a manner reminiscent of the long, gossipy novels of Henry Fielding and Laurence Stern. Indeed, Liss manages to suggest the prose style of those authors while keeping his own, less convoluted style. This is one conspiracy guaranteed to succeed. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

An outsider in eighteenth-century London, Jewish pugilist and hired thug Benjamin Weaver prowls the city's mean streets in the service of England's gentry tracking down debtors and thieves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible