1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die by…

1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (2008)

by Tom Moon

1000 essays on exceptional recordings. Those that I have listened to have hyponotized me John Adams' setting of Emily Dickinson's "Because I Could Not Stop for Death" from his "Harmonium". The review are well-developed, often contain a photo of the artist and end with a data sidebar, which includes one of my favorite categories--"Next Stop". My next stop was the major minimalist, Steve Reich, whose "Different Trains" blew me away with the sound collage of clips from track and depot. Especially powerful was the war-time European train--heading, I imagined, for Dachau.
Lest the book seem weighted on the heavy side, its first entry (they are alphabetical) is Abba's "Gold".
The articles are very redable and Moon comes off as a fine person with intelligence and artistic sensibility.

How do I find "italics" and "underscore"?
  efcasebeer | Sep 26, 2011 |

How do I find "italics" and "underscore"? ( )
  efcherrytree | Sep 26, 2011 |
I challenge anyone to find a more intelligent and diverse guide to good "musics" (as opposed to "music" = western classical tradition + popular appendages). Any takers? ( )
  ChrisWildman | Jan 30, 2010 |
This is a well-written synopsis of great recordings by someone who loves music. The arrangement is useful in that it points you to related recordings within a genre. It is arranged alphabetically by performance artist, which as the author points out, can lead to some very interesting and diverse individuals turning up beside each other. It's a great reference tool to develop or broaden a music collection or your listening history. ( )
  varielle | Jan 19, 2010 |
I thought the choices werent equitable- some genres being neglected, and a slight overemphasis on jazz and blues, may be of author's own taste. So if you are well acquainted with Jazz you would want to skip this but if you are looking for a decent list of great Jazz recordings, along with a few other greats this would do it. ( )
  Linus_Linus | Jun 20, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076113963X, Paperback)

The musical adventure of a lifetime. The most exciting book on music in years. A book of treasure, a book of discovery, a book to open your ears to new worlds of pleasure. Doing for music what Patricia Schultz—author of the phenomenal 1,000 Places to See Before You Die—does for travel, Tom Moon recommends 1,000 recordings guaranteed to give listeners the joy, the mystery, the revelation, the sheer fun of great music.

This is a book both broad and deep, drawing from the diverse worlds of classical, jazz, rock, pop, blues, country, folk, musicals, hip-hop, world, opera, soundtracks, and more. It's arranged alphabetically by artist to create the kind of unexpected juxtapositions that break down genre bias and broaden listeners’ horizons— it makes every listener a seeker, actively pursuing new artists and new sounds, and reconfirming the greatness of the classics. Flanking J. S. Bach and his six entries, for example, are the little-known R&B singer Baby Huey and the '80s Rastafarian hard-core punk band Bad Brains. Farther down the list: The Band, Samuel Barber, Cecelia Bartoli, Count Basie, and Afropop star Waldemer Bastos.

Each entry is passionately written, with expert listening notes, fascinating anecdotes, and the occasional perfect quote—"Your collection could be filled with nothing but music from Ray Charles," said Tom Waits, "and you'd have a completely balanced diet." Every entry identifies key tracks, additional works by the artist, and where to go next. And in the back, indexes and playlists for different moods and occasions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:47 -0400)

A guide to music provides recommendations on one thousand recordings that represent the best in such genres as classical, jazz, rock, pop, blues, country, folk, musicals, hip-hop, and opera, with listening notes, commentary, and anecdotes about performers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible