The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Summary: A boy and his father went to Washington D.C. to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The two of them went to look for the name of the boy's grandfather, the dad's father, on the wall. As the two of them look for the grandfather's name they find other people visiting the memorial as well. Once they have found the grandfather's name they do a rubbing together and they leave a picture of the little boy under the grandfather's name.

Evaluation/ Argument: This book does an excellent job of illustrating the bond a father and his son hold. This is seen through the little boy and his dad as well as through the dad and the grandfather. This bond is great to see illustrated in such a remarkable way. This bond also helps to hold the story together and bring meaning to the wall for the boy. For example, the young boy had never even met his grandfather, but the father wanted to bring his son to the wall to show him how important and special his father was to him. This relationship helped to impact the relationship that was forming with his son. Some students, especially in this area, may have even visited this monument, which would help them to more easily understand the text.
The central message of this book teaches readers about the sacrifices military veterans endured for their families and others. The grandfather had served in the Vietnam War, which led to his death at a young age. The young boy needed to be able to understand a little bit about the sacrifice his grandfather made, which impacted his family as well. ( )
  mwade4 | Oct 14, 2014 |
A moving story to read on Veteran's Day or Memorial Day. A good story for teaching Main Idea and Theme. Main idea - A boy and his father come to the wall to find his grandfather's name. Theme - Honor. Author's Message- It is important to honor those who have died in war and recognize the impact their lives have had. Reading Rainbow Video featured this book also includes interview with Maya Lin, the architect who designed the Wall. The video also shows several other memorials including Mount Rushmore and a mural of Louis Armstrong. ( )
  shaberstroh | Sep 23, 2014 |
In my opinion “The Wall” is a fantastic book. I think this is a great book for children in grades 3rd-6th. The book is about a young boy who is visiting the Vietnam Memorial wall with his dad to find his grandfather’s name. The book is told from the child’s point of view. The descriptive detail in the book is done exceptionally well. The author Eve Bunting makes you feel as if you are right there with the child. The child in the story shows the reader he doesn't just tell. For example the child says “A woman as old as my grandma is hugging a man old as my grandpa would be.” This statement paints a clear picture in the readers mind about the older couple the young boy sees. The young boy also talks about him seeing a rose placed against the wall. He says “Someone has left a rose with a droopy head.” Not only does that give the reader a clear picture, it also portrays the sadness that is felt by people who visit the wall. The big idea of the book is to encourage readers to remember and honor the sacrifices made by past generations. ( )
  Chawki6 | Sep 22, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a fantastic book because the author is able to create so much emotion through the descriptions and language she uses in the text. For instance, she paints pictures with her words such as, “Dad’s rubbing the name, rubbing and rubbing as if he wants to wipe it away” and “They make a lot of noise and ask a lot of questions and all the time Dad just stands there with his head bowed, and I stand beside him.” These images create the solemn mood of the story by using specific word choice and juxtaposing the father’s mood with the mood of everyone else around him. In addition, the illustrations portray the love and the connection between the young boy and his father. There are illustrations of the boy imitating his father, the father with his hand on the boys shoulder, and the boy and the father holding hands. These images emphasize the connection between the two and make them loving and relatable characters. The big idea of this story is that sad and emotional times can bring people together in the most meaningful ways. ( )
  cschne11 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Summary:
The Wall tells the story of a little boy and his father who travel to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. They search the wall to find the name of the little boy’s grandfather who died in the Vietnam War in 1967. While searching for his grandfather’s name, the little boy also narrates what he is observing going on around him. Although it is quite a sad experience, the little boy makes the best of it by observing the different people and actions happening around the wall.

Comments (arguments/opinions):
This story is undoubtedly moving and heartwarming for anyone who has ever lost a friend or family member. I think this story is a wonderful example of a realistic fiction narrative because even though the characters may be made up, the story is very relatable to anyone who has visited this historical monument. I think the author and illustrator do a great job depicting what a visit to this particular monument might actually be like in real life. The pictures are very detailed and accurate, as well as the little boys observations of other people. The author adds a part in the story where the father uses a pencil and a piece of paper to trace his father’s name from the wall. I think this is an important part of the story that can be very relatable to anyone who has ever gone to a memorial like this one because it is common for people to trace the name of their loved ones. I have actually been to the same memorial and traced my grandfather’s name from the wall as well. Like the little boy in the story, I lost my grandfather in the Vietnam War, but I visited the memorial with my mother. I think the story also does a great job making accurate portrayals of the other people and actions going on around the memorial. For example the little boy comes across a war vet who lost his legs, who is visiting the wall dressed in a camo and in a wheelchair. He also comes across an older couple that is hugging and comforting each other while mourning the loss of a loved one. This story really does a great job at capturing the true meaning of the memorial to the American people by showing all of the different scenarios that go on there. It really makes an impact on the reader when the little boy and his father say how proud they are to have their dad/grandfathers name on the wall. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Sep 9, 2014 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible