The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Summary:
The Wall tells the story of a little boy and his father who travel to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. They search the wall to find the name of the little boy’s grandfather who died in the Vietnam War in 1967. While searching for his grandfather’s name, the little boy also narrates what he is observing going on around him. Although it is quite a sad experience, the little boy makes the best of it by observing the different people and actions happening around the wall.

Comments (arguments/opinions):
This story is undoubtedly moving and heartwarming for anyone who has ever lost a friend or family member. I think this story is a wonderful example of a realistic fiction narrative because even though the characters may be made up, the story is very relatable to anyone who has visited this historical monument. I think the author and illustrator do a great job depicting what a visit to this particular monument might actually be like in real life. The pictures are very detailed and accurate, as well as the little boys observations of other people. The author adds a part in the story where the father uses a pencil and a piece of paper to trace his father’s name from the wall. I think this is an important part of the story that can be very relatable to anyone who has ever gone to a memorial like this one because it is common for people to trace the name of their loved ones. I have actually been to the same memorial and traced my grandfather’s name from the wall as well. Like the little boy in the story, I lost my grandfather in the Vietnam War, but I visited the memorial with my mother. I think the story also does a great job making accurate portrayals of the other people and actions going on around the memorial. For example the little boy comes across a war vet who lost his legs, who is visiting the wall dressed in a camo and in a wheelchair. He also comes across an older couple that is hugging and comforting each other while mourning the loss of a loved one. This story really does a great job at capturing the true meaning of the memorial to the American people by showing all of the different scenarios that go on there. It really makes an impact on the reader when the little boy and his father say how proud they are to have their dad/grandfathers name on the wall. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Sep 9, 2014 |
A young boy and his father visit a large wall with many names carved into it, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The father tells the boy that his grandfather's name is here because he passed away. Once they find the grandfathers name they trace his name onto a piece of paper and take it with them. The little boy tells his father that he wishes his grandfather was with him.
This is a simple, but powerful story. This book teaches children that it is important to remember and honor those who gave their lives to fight in the Vietnam war. ( )
  SMLawrence | Sep 3, 2014 |
Summary: The Wall tells the story of a young boy and his father's visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The father and son walk through the memorial to find the name of the boy's grandfather who had died in the war. As the young boy is at the memorial, he pays his respects to his grandfather as well as observes the other people who are also visiting the memorial.

Review:"The Wall" is a very heartwarming book that does a great and realistic job of depicting what may go on through a young boy's mind when visiting a memorial of a family member he has never met. In my opinion, the author does a great job of incorporating what the young boy observes from his surroundings at the wall and how it affects him when talking about his grandfather. For example, when the young boy observed a interaction between a grandfather and grandson at the wall, he told his father he was honored that his grandfather's name was on the wall but wished he was with him. ( )
  rjones34 | Sep 2, 2014 |
Dad takes his son for his first time to the Vietnam Memorial Wall where he sees his grandpas name as he rubs his fingers across the wall.
  cabram90 | Jun 24, 2014 |
The Wall is an amazing book about a young boy who visits the Vietnam Memorial Wall with his father to find his grandfathers name. I really enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. First, I liked how this book shows young children the importance of family. The connection two people have (father and son) is real, with both of them feeling a sense of loss for a loved one. Even though the young boy had never met his grandfather, seeing his name written on the wall made him wish that he had known him. Next, the descriptive writing throughout the book is very powerful. For example, when the young boy describes running his fingers against the shiny black wall he uses very descriptive writing. This type of language helps paint a picture in the reader’s head of what the engraved names feel like. Lastly, the character development was great. Each character was very believable, which enhances the story. For example, when the woman and man are both crying, holding onto each other, readers can relate to this moment because it is normal to cry when someone has lost a loved one. Overall, the main idea of this story is the importance of family and the importance of soldiers. ( )
  fwaldm1 | May 11, 2014 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,793,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible