The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Recently added bylar041, tiffanycoburn, Arma, kellyfrank1, ebeluna, private library, Kelsey_Wright, margan1, tbrawley26

The Wall is one (of many) of my favorite books. The first reason why I liked this book was because it is one that has a strong meaning to it. Rather than happiness and smiling faces, this book offers a story that can bring readers to tears. Sadness and war are a part of reality, and this book can touch anyone that reads it. The second reason why I liked this book was because it is seen through the eyes of a child. The young boy and his father go to visit the wall to search for the name of the young boys grandfather who lost his life in the Vietnam War. The young boy is in search for the name of his grandfather, whom he never got a chance to meet. Having this story told from the eyes of a child, makes it much more powerful. Lastly, I like this book because I feel like it can be a big impact in my future classroom during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and even any other day of the year. This book would be perfect for me as a future teacher, to read to my students. The students would most likely ask thousands of questions, but questions are never bad. They will be able to look at the beautiful pictures and the little boy and feel what he is feeling. ( )
  margan1 | Nov 19, 2014 |
Summary: "The Wall" is a story about a boy and his father visiting the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. They arrive at the wall and begin to search furiously for a specific name. There are other families and even a school trip that are visiting the wall. Once the two find the name they're looking for (the boy's grandfather), they talk about how proud they are. They learn that family is forever.

Review: I think "The Wall" is a serious, but fantastically written piece of literature. The author, Eve Bunting, writes the story in a somber tone. This is also apparent in the illustrations, constantly showing the facial expressions of the father and his son. I also think that children will like to read about a family who really cares about each other.
  cclark37 | Nov 11, 2014 |
I liked this book overall. It was emotionally moving, which isn't a common trait of most picture books I've read. From the sadness felt by the boy because of missing his grandfather, to the sense of pride that the boy's father has in recognizing his father's sacrifice. This book pushes readers to think about difficult issues like war and loss, but also helps them address pride and being grateful to those who have sacrificed so much for us. The big idea is all about war and it's consequences. ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a father and son reflecting on all who sacrificed thier lives in the Vietnam War. They are facing the wall of all 58,000 names of men and women that served in the armed forces of the United States. The father is getting is son involved in looking for his father's name. The son is engaged and helping his dad look for his grandpa's name.

Personal Reaction: This book is great! I love how the book explains and honors a way to go and celebrate all those who served in the Vietnam war. It hits close to home because my grandpa served in the Vietnam war and I would love to go visit that memorial wall in Washington D.C.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Summarize what the Vietnam War was about.
2. Ask if any students knew anyone that served in the Vietnam war.
  kwander | Oct 23, 2014 |
Summary: A boy and his father went to Washington D.C. to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The two of them went to look for the name of the boy's grandfather, the dad's father, on the wall. As the two of them look for the grandfather's name they find other people visiting the memorial as well. Once they have found the grandfather's name they do a rubbing together and they leave a picture of the little boy under the grandfather's name.

Evaluation/ Argument: This book does an excellent job of illustrating the bond a father and his son hold. This is seen through the little boy and his dad as well as through the dad and the grandfather. This bond is great to see illustrated in such a remarkable way. This bond also helps to hold the story together and bring meaning to the wall for the boy. For example, the young boy had never even met his grandfather, but the father wanted to bring his son to the wall to show him how important and special his father was to him. This relationship helped to impact the relationship that was forming with his son. Some students, especially in this area, may have even visited this monument, which would help them to more easily understand the text.
The central message of this book teaches readers about the sacrifices military veterans endured for their families and others. The grandfather had served in the Vietnam War, which led to his death at a young age. The young boy needed to be able to understand a little bit about the sacrifice his grandfather made, which impacted his family as well. ( )
  mwade4 | Oct 14, 2014 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,040,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible