The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

I really liked reading the book, The Wall. The first reason I liked reading this book was because of the language. The book was very descriptive when it was describing everything around in the wall. It said, "The wall is black and shiny like a mirror, in it I can see dad and me. I can see the bare trees behind us and the dark, flying clouds." This type of language really helps me as a reader to feel like the boy does in the book. Another reason I liked this story was because it pushes readers to think about tough issues, like war. There is a man in a wheelchair with no legs looking at the wall, it really helps broaden a reader's perspective about war and how damaging it can be too people. There were also people crying next to the wall, it is a tough thing to think about since all of the names are people who died fighting for our country. The main theme of this book is war. The dad and boy are looking for the grandpa's name. The theme is respect and honor for those who died. They bow their heads and pray for the grandpa, other girls came in a placed flags along The Wall. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
I enjoyed the touching children’s book The Wall for a couple of reasons. First I enjoyed the watercolor illustrations because they enhanced the meaning behind the book. For example, when the little boy is looking at the wall of soldiers who passed during the Vietnam war, the wall illustrates the images that the author wrote the little boy describing in his mind. Another reason I enjoyed the text was because it used a non-fiction setting to make the reader step back and think about America’s history. For instance, the boy at the end of the book remarks about wanting his grandfather here rather than on an “honorable place” like the wall. Towards the end the grandson says “but I’d rather have grandpa here, taking me to the river, telling me to button my jacket because its cold.” The big message is to honor your losses even if it is difficult for you. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 19, 2016 |
I truly enjoyed this book. I liked this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this book so much was because of the imagery Eve Bunting used. Her word choice was wonderful and I could easily visualize the events that were happening in the story. As a little boy and his father took a trip to "The Wall," where the names of fallen Vietnam Soldiers were, they started to look for the little boy's grandfathers name. The little boy was describing the wall and describing the objects around the wall too. For example, one page said, "Flowers and other things have been laid against the wall. There are little flags, an old teddy bear, and letters, weighted with some stones so they won't blow away. Someone has left a rose with a droopy head." Another reason I really liked this book was because of the illustrations. Not only did they describe exactly what was going on in the text, they were very simple, yet very special. The colors were not very bright, because the mood was not happy and joyful. It was very sad, but the individuals at the wall were honoring the fallen soldiers. I could feel the sense of quietness and calm motions between everyone. As the little boy and his father found the name they were looking for, the dad explained to his son that this wall symbolizes greatness and bravery and instead of being upset, the little boy should be proud of his grandfathers strength. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Apr 18, 2016 |
I would use this book for a read aloud for second or third grade; though students would be able to read it independently. I would use this as a mentor text to teach students about Memorial Day or the Vietnam War. We would discuss what Memorial Day was, and then talk about how this story tells about a memorial we have for soldiers that died during the Vietnam War. I think it would be a good story to use because it's told from a young boy's perspective. Students in the class may relate to the main character, from losing grandparents in war. I would also use it to teach students about point of view. We would discuss how the story was told, and how that impacted our reactions to the story. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 16, 2016 |
This book is about a father and son who travel to Washington D.C. to see the boy's grandpa's name on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. When they find it, his Dad is still and emotional. The book ends with the kid saying he is proud of his grandpa too, but he wishes he was here to take him to the river. This book is a good example of contemporary realistic fiction because it shows a father and son honoring their loved one who died in the war. The wall still exists today.
Use: Teaching History lesson; Teaching about Veterans on Veterans day.
Media: Watercolor ( )
  Bcruz14 | Apr 2, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,819,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible