The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

645None15,245 (4.3)9
Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

I really like this book. It evokes a lot of emotions in me. By the end of it, I can feel the tears coming to my eyes. Personally, I can relate to this child wanting to spend time with their grandfather, because I did not get to meet all of my grandparents. This book does a tasteful job addressing a subject that has the potential to be touchy. War can be a very controversial topic, but Eve Bunting focuses on the connection two people have to the wall and how they feel a sense of loss and a sense of pride. I liked how the young boy just notes that the soldier does not have legs and still greets him politely, just as the soldier does. This is a good example of the respect we should always show to veterans. I liked the touch of symbolism that was added when the group of school girls come to the wall. They are loud and ask lots of questions, place their American flags at the base of the wall and leave. This demonstrates the lack of understanding and connection some have to war. The entire time the girls are there the dad does not move from his spot. They cannot distract him from the loss he feels. The big idea of this book is though you can be proud of someone for serving, the loss is very great, even to family members who had never met them; their sacrifice will be felt by families as long as there are people who love them. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 2, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a great historic realism book. It will give the children a real picture of what the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall really looks like and what is about. In this story it is about a son and father who go to look for the fathers dads name on the wall. As they are there they see many people going there to honor the peoples names. The father finally finds his dads name and gets a paper to mark over his name to copy it to the paper. When they are there they see a boy and his grandpa there and the little boy in the story wishes his grandpa was still there. In the end of the book it was a note spot and it explains what the wall is and about it.

Personal Experience:
I loved this book. It was a great book to read to get the feel affect on how people really feel when they go there to find their family members names. I liked at the end of the book how it explained everything. This is a great book to read to the children in school.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would read this book when we are discussing the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
2. I would have the students write a letter to the soldiers to thank them for all they have done and will do.
  olivialawson | Mar 23, 2014 |
I think it was smart to tell such a heavy story from a child’s perspective. It makes the complex feelings of honor, longing, and loss more accessible to children. The narrative is short but truly touching, portraying a very deep experience between a son, a father, and a late grandfather. Bunting does a fantastic job at removing any possible biases for or against war in this story. She references the honor of sacrifice but the pain of loss, keeping a fair balance between the two sides. Watercolor creates soft but expressive and emotional images. This book could be very effective when teaching about the Vietnam War or war in general because it offers an important point of view of those that lost loved ones in wars. It could also be a launching point for students to share personal stories of how war has impacted their family.
  KellyAnnGraff | Mar 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for a couple reasons. First, the language was very descriptive, especially when the young boy describes running his fingers against the shiny black wall with a bunch of engraved names and the soldier’s soft, squash green hat with medals. This type of language helps to paint a picture in the reader’s head. The illustrations also enhance the story and relate to the descriptions that the young boy describes. For example, when he describes the flags, teddy bears, and letters with stones on top of them so they don’t fly away, these all are illustrated on the proceeding pages. This book pushes the readers to think about tough situations, such as veterans dying in war. Because this story is in first person, the readers can relate to the feelings that the young boy experiences, grieving after his grandfather’s death. Finally, I like the characters throughout the story because they are believable and well developed. For example, when the woman and man are both crying, holding onto each other, readers can relate to this moment because it is normal to cry when someone has lost a loved one. The big idea of this story is to remember those who have died in the Vietnam War by visiting the wall and paying them respect. ( )
  kbrehm1 | Feb 17, 2014 |
This book had a very patriotic theme to it. It was about honoring the loss of a loved one who had served their country proudly. This is portrayed by the father using a paper to make a tracing of the grandfather’s name on the wall. This is a time honored tradition of those who lost loved ones in the Vietnam War. This book used its setting of a cold fall day with a dreary sky and barren trees to symbolize the sense of loss by the family and create an emotional response. There are children in the classrooms who can connect with this book as there are many children who have lost loved ones. The book had a child leave his school pictures at the wall to express that his Grandfather was still a part of his life. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 12, 2014 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible