The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

I liked this book because of its patriotic nature. I liked that the father took the little boy to see the memorial and show him where they came from. I think the book did a good job being relatable because so many people have family who have served, while also not being too sad. This short picture book displayed American pride in a tasteful and significant way with showing the little boy looking at the wall of names searching for his Grandfather. I also liked this book because of the beautiful illustrations. They looked like they were painted and the page where it is showing the wall straight on and mentions how the wall is reflective was painted nicely in watercolors. I liked that each page was neat and pretty and added a lot to this short story. The big ideas of this book were family and appreciation. ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 20, 2015 |
This story is about a father and son that go and visit thier grandfathers name on the wall. When they find his name on the wall, the father traces over it so that they can keep it forever. While the father is mourning over the loss, the son is taking the time to imagine what it would be like to have a grandfather. He doesn't quite understand that meaning of the wall, but he likes to look around and try to interpret what is happening. Genre: realistic fiction ( )
  amassingale | Mar 10, 2015 |
This book's genre is realistic fiction. This story follows the encounter that a small boy has at a war memorial wall with his father. His grandfather's name is on the wall, and the boy learns about war, pain, and loss as he watches his father. ( )
  athena.j | Mar 9, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot for many reasons. First, the story is simple and to the point so that children can learn about the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and why the soldiers names are on it. Because it is from the point of view of a young child, he explains that, “On it are the names of those killed in a war, long ago.” Secondly, there is a great use of similes. When describing the wall, the boy states that, “[it] is black and shiny as a mirror.” In addition, the writing is very organized and thoughtful. The reader is able to follow along to the young boy’s thoughts and observations of the type of people that come to visit the wall. He also has a realization of what life could be like with his Grandpa and starts to appreciate him more. Finally, I really enjoy the illustrations in the story. The pictures are very grey and depict the serious and sad mood throughout the story. In addition, there is a lot of good detail in the pictures and you are able to really capture the wall and the emotion of the characters as you read. ( )
  kriley5 | Feb 22, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about The Wall after reading it. This book was about a father and son looking for his grandpa’s name on a war memorial. I liked the topic of this story because many children’s books avoid the subjects of death and war even though things like that can be prevalent in a child’s life. The Wall pushes children to think about topics that are not normally brought up in school or at home. What I really did not like was that even though the illustrations showed that the boy and his father were at the Vietnam War Memorial, it was not specifically mentioned in the book. The memorial was referred to as “the wall” throughout the book, except for one of the final pages were a schoolgirl on a field trip asked her teacher if the wall was the memorial with the name of all the dead soldiers. Children will most likely lack the background knowledge to be able to recognize what the illustrations showed and will not realize that it is a real memorial that they can visit. There is a page after the story that gives a brief description of the Vietnam War Memorial, but it seems to be an afterthought that most children will not read. ( )
  kprinc3 | Feb 16, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible