The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

I liked this book for several reasons. The first thing I liked most about this book is the illustrations. The illustrations really showed what the text was saying. The text is very descriptive which helps create a picture in my mind along with the illustration. For example, the text says the wall is black and shiny like a mirror. In it I can see dad and me. The illustration perfectly matches this text because it shows a black wall and the reflection of the father and son in it. I also like how the author uses different characters in the story to portray emotion throughout. For example, on one page the author includes a man in a wheelchair with no legs, another page shows the wall and all the things people have left their such as flags, pictures, letters, bears, etc. This shows emotions about the wall and the veterans and loved ones that people lost during war. It shows emotions because a lot of families lost loved one but other people lived through the war but they lost limbs which makes it sad. This is a book people can relate to if they have had family in the wars. The message of this story is that we should be thankful for the people who fought for our rights. We should always be proud of the people who fight in the wars because they are keeping us safe while losing limbs and lives and people are losing loved ones. We can always remember them for their heroism, even though we may want them physically here with us, we should be proud of them and still love them. ( )
  kmassa3 | Mar 10, 2017 |
This book is a great read in terms of a meaningful , well developed plot. That is one of the main reasons I like the book. Its organized well and builds tension as the young boy and his father search for the name. For example, the day is described very dreary and dark as are the people walking by while they are searching for the name on the wall. When they find it, the boy notices his father begins to rub the name as if rubbing it away, as to signal sadness, yet relief of finally finding him. This mood affects the reader and tone of the book. We feel relieved that he is found, but wonder what happens next. The other reason I like this book is because of the way it is written. It is engaging and thought provoking. For example, even after finding the name and making a rubbing of it to keep, placing a flag and picture there, the boy would still have his grandfather with him. The main message of the book is to always honor family, even when they are gone. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 8, 2017 |
This personal narrative story shows the importance of showing honor and respect to the loved ones we’ve lost and the loved ones we’ve never met. I enjoyed the author’s use of the first person point of view of the young boy and illustrations to reflect the author’s descriptive language use. The fact that the author chose to tell this narrative in first person made the act of a young boy and his father honoring their loved one seem even more meaningful. For example, the boy states “He and I have come a long way for this” indicating how important it is for both of them to be there. The authors simile’s and word choice such as “black and shiny as a mirror “and “flying clouds” help the reader to visualize and experience the same moment the young narrator is experiencing, which makes the story more personally significant. When the young boy states that there are “little flags, an old teddy bear, and letter” we see an illustration directly reflecting the text and making a connection to the reader. Also, when the young boy and father stand in front of the wall silently, with their heads bowed, we get a sense of the amount of honor and respect they both have for the grandfather. We also see an illustration depicting this act, reinforcing the strong moment the father and young boy are experiencing together. ( )
  thodge3 | Feb 19, 2017 |
This is a story about a young boy and his father as they go to visit the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. The boy and his father look for his grandfather's name on the large, mirrored wall. The boy asks questions and observes the world around him. He notices a boy and a grandfather nearby and reflects on that as an experience he will never have.

Teaching Connections: Memorial Day/Veteran's Day lesson, Vietnam memorial, visualizing, making connections, making inferences, summarizing, making predictions, asking questions

Website Resources:
Video on Vietnam Memorial for Kids - https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm?id=F7122BC7-1DD8-B71C-07CC0CDC91E91CFA ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
A father and son take a trip to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial to look for his grandfathers name.
  sami_schneider | Dec 3, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,258,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible