The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

A father and son take a trip to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial to look for his grandfathers name.
  sami_schneider | Dec 3, 2016 |
The theme of this book is to represent and honor your past. The wall is a great book for the reading strategy "Asking and Answering Questions." This book has many instances where you have to be an advance reader in the sense of interpreting things when they do not have the answer right in front of you.For example on one of the pages it has a picture of a man in a wheelchair that has no legs and the text says "His hat is soft, squashed green, and there are medals on it." From the words and the pictures, as readers we would assume this man fought in this war, or another war. That being said, the pictures complement the text in this story very well, if you are unsure of something in the text, you can look at the picture and vis-versa. This book could be a great text to introduce around veterans day or memorial day. The words are simple but meaningful. The author is sure to know include filler text. ( )
  pwood3 | Nov 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book for a multitude of reasons. The main message of this book is the importance of remembrance and respecting veterans and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I loved how the plot line made the importance of respect the highlight of the book. The young boy notices the people who are being loud and then goes back to paying attention and respecting the memorial. The boy shows readers how to respect the wall and the veterans that he sees. I also love how the pictures are detailed yet simple. They show the true feeling that they wall gives off and how the wall seems to those who fought in the wall. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 16, 2016 |
“The Wall” was a sweet/sad story about a young boy and his father in their quest to find the boy’s grandfather’s name on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall. The wall is filled with soldiers’ names, so it is very hard for the father and son to find it. When they finally find the name, they take a piece of paper to copy the name down from the engraving on the wall. The father and son are sad, and the son notices how the father keeps touching the name, as remembering the memories he had with his father. Throughout their search they notice a few people along the way like an actual war veteran, a group of school girls, and a grandfather and grandson. The grandfather and grandson has an effect on the boy and he tells his father how he is proud of his grandfather, but still wishes he were here to be with him now. I think this is a great book to read in a classroom. It provides a great learning opportunity for teachers to do an activity about the war. I also think a lot of students may be able to relate depending if they have family members in the army, or even those who have passed away. Very sweet book, I would recommend it as a classroom read. ( )
  NihadKased | Oct 12, 2016 |
This book perfectly conveyed the meaning of loss and longing for loved ones that have passed. I loved the vivid descriptions of how sacred this trip to the grandfather's memorial wall was to the father and son, especially when they place the paper over his name to trace their loved one's name. I also thought it was sweet when towards the end, the young boy realized how sad he was that he never would meet his grandfather and the longing and loss that accompanied this. This book is a perfect example of a narrative done right, with the inner dialogue and feeling of being placed directly into this sad moment. I think it would be great to show to a student who has experienced loss. I really loved this book! ( )
  mdinar2 | Sep 29, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,659,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible