The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:AB2009
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:picture book, Veterans Day

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Dad takes his son for his first time to the Vietnam Memorial Wall where he sees his grandpas name as he rubs his fingers across the wall.
  cabram90 | Jun 24, 2014 |
The Wall is an amazing book about a young boy who visits the Vietnam Memorial Wall with his father to find his grandfathers name. I really enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. First, I liked how this book shows young children the importance of family. The connection two people have (father and son) is real, with both of them feeling a sense of loss for a loved one. Even though the young boy had never met his grandfather, seeing his name written on the wall made him wish that he had known him. Next, the descriptive writing throughout the book is very powerful. For example, when the young boy describes running his fingers against the shiny black wall he uses very descriptive writing. This type of language helps paint a picture in the reader’s head of what the engraved names feel like. Lastly, the character development was great. Each character was very believable, which enhances the story. For example, when the woman and man are both crying, holding onto each other, readers can relate to this moment because it is normal to cry when someone has lost a loved one. Overall, the main idea of this story is the importance of family and the importance of soldiers. ( )
  fwaldm1 | May 11, 2014 |
I really like this book. It evokes a lot of emotions in me. By the end of it, I can feel the tears coming to my eyes. Personally, I can relate to this child wanting to spend time with their grandfather, because I did not get to meet all of my grandparents. This book does a tasteful job addressing a subject that has the potential to be touchy. War can be a very controversial topic, but Eve Bunting focuses on the connection two people have to the wall and how they feel a sense of loss and a sense of pride. I liked how the young boy just notes that the soldier does not have legs and still greets him politely, just as the soldier does. This is a good example of the respect we should always show to veterans. I liked the touch of symbolism that was added when the group of school girls come to the wall. They are loud and ask lots of questions, place their American flags at the base of the wall and leave. This demonstrates the lack of understanding and connection some have to war. The entire time the girls are there the dad does not move from his spot. They cannot distract him from the loss he feels. The big idea of this book is though you can be proud of someone for serving, the loss is very great, even to family members who had never met them; their sacrifice will be felt by families as long as there are people who love them. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 2, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a great historic realism book. It will give the children a real picture of what the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall really looks like and what is about. In this story it is about a son and father who go to look for the fathers dads name on the wall. As they are there they see many people going there to honor the peoples names. The father finally finds his dads name and gets a paper to mark over his name to copy it to the paper. When they are there they see a boy and his grandpa there and the little boy in the story wishes his grandpa was still there. In the end of the book it was a note spot and it explains what the wall is and about it.

Personal Experience:
I loved this book. It was a great book to read to get the feel affect on how people really feel when they go there to find their family members names. I liked at the end of the book how it explained everything. This is a great book to read to the children in school.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would read this book when we are discussing the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
2. I would have the students write a letter to the soldiers to thank them for all they have done and will do.
  olivialawson | Mar 23, 2014 |
I think it was smart to tell such a heavy story from a child’s perspective. It makes the complex feelings of honor, longing, and loss more accessible to children. The narrative is short but truly touching, portraying a very deep experience between a son, a father, and a late grandfather. Bunting does a fantastic job at removing any possible biases for or against war in this story. She references the honor of sacrifice but the pain of loss, keeping a fair balance between the two sides. Watercolor creates soft but expressive and emotional images. This book could be very effective when teaching about the Vietnam War or war in general because it offers an important point of view of those that lost loved ones in wars. It could also be a launching point for students to share personal stories of how war has impacted their family.
  KellyAnnGraff | Mar 4, 2014 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible