The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:Maral_Sivaslian
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

In my opinion The Wall by Eve Bunting is a powerfully touching, and meaningful story. As a little boy and his father visit his grandfather’s name on “The Wall” at the Vietnam Memorial, the little boy displays interest and curiosity about where his grandfather’s name is on “The Wall”. While the little boy wished he could see his grandfather during that time, the author presented emotional scenes of the interactions between the little boy and his father walking around the memorial. This historical fiction text represents the Vietnam memorial in Washington D.C. where many families visit their loved ones’ names to this day. ( )
  cfumai1 | May 1, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about the Vietnam war or memorial day. I think students would like this because they can feel what the boy and his father do. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This story is great to show about the impact war can bring in on other/families/friends. It shows the different emotions of the characters about the loss of their loved ones and how proud and heroic they are and that the Vietnam Memorial Wall is to honor those who defend and fight for our country. This is a beautiful story about having pride in our country and our loved ones.
  mmg020 | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is a great historical fiction children's book. It encompasses what the Vietnam war was and the memorial for the soldiers that fought and died. It is told from the perspective of a little boy who visits D.C. with his father to try and locate his grandfather's name. The boy sees different people come and go as he spends the day there. The story has purposeful dialogue shared between the characters and great imagery depicted through text and illustrations. I would recommend this book in any library as a way to honor our country and our people on Veteran's Day and/or any day.
  mtrail3 | Apr 25, 2015 |
I liked this book because of its patriotic nature. I liked that the father took the little boy to see the memorial and show him where they came from. I think the book did a good job being relatable because so many people have family who have served, while also not being too sad. This short picture book displayed American pride in a tasteful and significant way with showing the little boy looking at the wall of names searching for his Grandfather. I also liked this book because of the beautiful illustrations. They looked like they were painted and the page where it is showing the wall straight on and mentions how the wall is reflective was painted nicely in watercolors. I liked that each page was neat and pretty and added a lot to this short story. The big ideas of this book were family and appreciation. ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 20, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,217,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible