The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

I enjoyed this book for a multitude of reasons. The main message of this book is the importance of remembrance and respecting veterans and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I loved how the plot line made the importance of respect the highlight of the book. The young boy notices the people who are being loud and then goes back to paying attention and respecting the memorial. The boy shows readers how to respect the wall and the veterans that he sees. I also love how the pictures are detailed yet simple. They show the true feeling that they wall gives off and how the wall seems to those who fought in the wall. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 16, 2016 |
“The Wall” was a sweet/sad story about a young boy and his father in their quest to find the boy’s grandfather’s name on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall. The wall is filled with soldiers’ names, so it is very hard for the father and son to find it. When they finally find the name, they take a piece of paper to copy the name down from the engraving on the wall. The father and son are sad, and the son notices how the father keeps touching the name, as remembering the memories he had with his father. Throughout their search they notice a few people along the way like an actual war veteran, a group of school girls, and a grandfather and grandson. The grandfather and grandson has an effect on the boy and he tells his father how he is proud of his grandfather, but still wishes he were here to be with him now. I think this is a great book to read in a classroom. It provides a great learning opportunity for teachers to do an activity about the war. I also think a lot of students may be able to relate depending if they have family members in the army, or even those who have passed away. Very sweet book, I would recommend it as a classroom read. ( )
  NihadKased | Oct 12, 2016 |
This book perfectly conveyed the meaning of loss and longing for loved ones that have passed. I loved the vivid descriptions of how sacred this trip to the grandfather's memorial wall was to the father and son, especially when they place the paper over his name to trace their loved one's name. I also thought it was sweet when towards the end, the young boy realized how sad he was that he never would meet his grandfather and the longing and loss that accompanied this. This book is a perfect example of a narrative done right, with the inner dialogue and feeling of being placed directly into this sad moment. I think it would be great to show to a student who has experienced loss. I really loved this book! ( )
  mdinar2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
The Wall by Eve Bunting and illustrated by Ronald Himler is an amazing and powerful book for children of all ages. The theme of this book is complex because it is not a traditional picture book. It may be interpreted by anyone who reads it. The topics it touches on are fallen military soldiers, family, and losing loved ones. The ethnic group in this book are Asian-Americans who's father fought in the Vietnam War for America, so this book touches the hearts of both Asian-Americans as well as war veterans. The Wall is contemporary realistic fiction because this specific story did not happen, but the story itself is the story of many Asian-Americans who lost their loved ones in the Vietnam War. It is also classified as an informational book because it teaches the reader about what it is like to lose a loved one as well as why the main characters' Grandfather participated in the war and why we pay respect to those who have fallen on the battlefield. The reading level for this is first and second grade because it is a picture book, yet provides a deep meaning and story line to the children who will not truly understand until they are older. This story is beautiful because it shows how the young boy is feeling about coming to the realization that he does not have a grandfather when he says "I wish he was here." The young boy is proud of what his grandfather did for his country but he wants his grandfather to be with him rather than not at all. The boy looks around and sees other kids with their grandfathers and his is just a name on the wall that they are visiting. The big message in the story is that there are many families that are not initially from the United States that have given up so much in order to be here and help make this a great country. ( )
  Conor_Thackston | Sep 19, 2016 |
I like this book for many reasons. I like how there is a good balance between dialogue between the father and son and descriptive language relating to the setting. The characters demonstrate a healthy father-son relationship that is relatable. Even though there are people who have not visited this memorial, everyone knows the feeling of experiencing the loss a family member. Almost everyone knows someone who has fought in a war as well, so this book is a child-friendly, but sobering portrayal of what many families go through. While this book is a little sad for young children, it is a great way to introduce the main idea of the story; understanding the sacrifices made during war. At the end of the book, when the boy said the wall was sad, the father replied, "I know. But its a place of honor. I'm proud that your grandfather's name is on this wall". While this is not exactly an uplifting ending, it is still a beautiful moment that shines light on this sensitive issue. The relatability of this story makes it engaging and believable, so I would recommend it for any elementary school classroom. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Sep 1, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible