The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

81912311,095 (4.34)20
Member:Maral_Sivaslian
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall by Eve Bunting and illustrated by Ronald Himler is an amazing and powerful book for children of all ages. The theme of this book is complex because it is not a traditional picture book. It may be interpreted by anyone who reads it. The topics it touches on are fallen military soldiers, family, and losing loved ones. The ethnic group in this book are Asian-Americans who's father fought in the Vietnam War for America, so this book touches the hearts of both Asian-Americans as well as war veterans. The Wall is contemporary realistic fiction because this specific story did not happen, but the story itself is the story of many Asian-Americans who lost their loved ones in the Vietnam War. It is also classified as an informational book because it teaches the reader about what it is like to lose a loved one as well as why the main characters' Grandfather participated in the war and why we pay respect to those who have fallen on the battlefield. The reading level for this is first and second grade because it is a picture book, yet provides a deep meaning and story line to the children who will not truly understand until they are older. This story is beautiful because it shows how the young boy is feeling about coming to the realization that he does not have a grandfather when he says "I wish he was here." The young boy is proud of what his grandfather did for his country but he wants his grandfather to be with him rather than not at all. The boy looks around and sees other kids with their grandfathers and his is just a name on the wall that they are visiting. The big message in the story is that there are many families that are not initially from the United States that have given up so much in order to be here and help make this a great country. ( )
  Conor_Thackston | Sep 19, 2016 |
I like this book for many reasons. I like how there is a good balance between dialogue between the father and son and descriptive language relating to the setting. The characters demonstrate a healthy father-son relationship that is relatable. Even though there are people who have not visited this memorial, everyone knows the feeling of experiencing the loss a family member. Almost everyone knows someone who has fought in a war as well, so this book is a child-friendly, but sobering portrayal of what many families go through. While this book is a little sad for young children, it is a great way to introduce the main idea of the story; understanding the sacrifices made during war. At the end of the book, when the boy said the wall was sad, the father replied, "I know. But its a place of honor. I'm proud that your grandfather's name is on this wall". While this is not exactly an uplifting ending, it is still a beautiful moment that shines light on this sensitive issue. The relatability of this story makes it engaging and believable, so I would recommend it for any elementary school classroom. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Sep 1, 2016 |
This is the moving story of a dad and his son visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to look for the grandfather's/father's name. As they move down the wall, the illustrations and simple text show the reader what the boy sees and thinks--"the wall is black and shiny as a mirror", a veteran missing his legs, people hugging and crying, and lots of flowers and things left by the wall. They finally find the name, and the image of the father standing with his head bowed for a long time, with the boy mimicking his dad, brings me to tears every time I look at it. Grades 3-5 will understand it better, but I think it should be a 'must read' for every grade, K-12. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 27, 2016 |
I like this book as one of my contemoorary fiction books because I like the story and neaning of this book. The wall is about a young boy and his father visiting the memorial wall honoring Vietnam Veterans who have fallen or missing. While at the memorial wall this little boys watches as families and loved ones come to honor their lover ones. His father finds he dad's name and show his father's name to his son.This is touching and very close to my heart because my father fought in Vietnam. I also have family members who have fought in wars. I am proud and honored of all military and what they do for us and our country. A good book to teach about war and the consequences of war.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 15, 2016 |
A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jun 30, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,214,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible