The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:Maral_Sivaslian
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Recently added bydavidgn, radsaturn, engpunk77, kgirardin, private library, cschoem, eyelevelbooks, jaime02ag

I almost loved this book until I recognized it for the propaganda that it is. I'm not sure that so many "gave their lives for their country" in this war, as many were forced to be killed and to kill for reasons that weren't always clear, right? The child in the book correctly observed that the memorial was a "sad place," but was promptly corrected with the affirmation that he should be proud that his grandfather's name was on the wall, and ultimately, in a second, he was. Yay.

I would have preferred that the author capture the sadness of it more & glorified war less, although it's not entirely pro-war because the last lines show that the child would rather have the grandfather in his life than on a wall. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a really good book. I like this book for many reasons. First, I like how the text creates imagery. I can imagine what it looks like in my head when it says, “I can see the bare trees behind us and the dark, flying clouds.” Second, I like how there is a lot of emotion in this book. I can feel sadness from the previous quote. I can also sense emotion from the text when a little girl asks, “Is this wall for the dead soldier’s?” and the teacher answers, “The names are the names of the dead, but the wall is for us.” I really like this quote because it allows the characters in the book and its reader to connect with the wall and the ones that they lost. Third, I like how the narrator of the story also gives a description of the other people at the wall who are there for the same reasons as him. He describes and old man hugging his wife, and a man in a wheel chair that lost his legs and wearing a soldier’s uniform. Lastly, I really like the illustrations in this book. I like how the illustrations are drawn at the wall likes it almost a photograph. I think the main idea of this book is to allow its readers to connect with those who have died serving for us. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Jul 12, 2015 |
In my opinion The Wall by Eve Bunting is a powerfully touching, and meaningful story. As a little boy and his father visit his grandfather’s name on “The Wall” at the Vietnam Memorial, the little boy displays interest and curiosity about where his grandfather’s name is on “The Wall”. While the little boy wished he could see his grandfather during that time, the author presented emotional scenes of the interactions between the little boy and his father walking around the memorial. This historical fiction text represents the Vietnam memorial in Washington D.C. where many families visit their loved ones’ names to this day. ( )
  cfumai1 | May 1, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about the Vietnam war or memorial day. I think students would like this because they can feel what the boy and his father do. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This story is great to show about the impact war can bring in on other/families/friends. It shows the different emotions of the characters about the loss of their loved ones and how proud and heroic they are and that the Vietnam Memorial Wall is to honor those who defend and fight for our country. This is a beautiful story about having pride in our country and our loved ones.
  mmg020 | Apr 28, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,121,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible