The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:Maral_Sivaslian
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Recently added byprivate library, AshleyNess, bukhari, MontagueES, Bauuc17053, Laura_Johnson, MissDungan

This is the moving story of a dad and his son visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to look for the grandfather's/father's name. As they move down the wall, the illustrations and simple text show the reader what the boy sees and thinks--"the wall is black and shiny as a mirror", a veteran missing his legs, people hugging and crying, and lots of flowers and things left by the wall. They finally find the name, and the image of the father standing with his head bowed for a long time, with the boy mimicking his dad, brings me to tears every time I look at it. Grades 3-5 will understand it better, but I think it should be a 'must read' for every grade, K-12. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 27, 2016 |
I like this book as one of my contemoorary fiction books because I like the story and neaning of this book. The wall is about a young boy and his father visiting the memorial wall honoring Vietnam Veterans who have fallen or missing. While at the memorial wall this little boys watches as families and loved ones come to honor their lover ones. His father finds he dad's name and show his father's name to his son.This is touching and very close to my heart because my father fought in Vietnam. I also have family members who have fought in wars. I am proud and honored of all military and what they do for us and our country. A good book to teach about war and the consequences of war.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 15, 2016 |
A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jun 30, 2016 |
I really liked reading the book, The Wall. The first reason I liked reading this book was because of the language. The book was very descriptive when it was describing everything around in the wall. It said, "The wall is black and shiny like a mirror, in it I can see dad and me. I can see the bare trees behind us and the dark, flying clouds." This type of language really helps me as a reader to feel like the boy does in the book. Another reason I liked this story was because it pushes readers to think about tough issues, like war. There is a man in a wheelchair with no legs looking at the wall, it really helps broaden a reader's perspective about war and how damaging it can be too people. There were also people crying next to the wall, it is a tough thing to think about since all of the names are people who died fighting for our country. The main theme of this book is war. The dad and boy are looking for the grandpa's name. The theme is respect and honor for those who died. They bow their heads and pray for the grandpa, other girls came in a placed flags along The Wall. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
I enjoyed the touching children’s book The Wall for a couple of reasons. First I enjoyed the watercolor illustrations because they enhanced the meaning behind the book. For example, when the little boy is looking at the wall of soldiers who passed during the Vietnam war, the wall illustrates the images that the author wrote the little boy describing in his mind. Another reason I enjoyed the text was because it used a non-fiction setting to make the reader step back and think about America’s history. For instance, the boy at the end of the book remarks about wanting his grandfather here rather than on an “honorable place” like the wall. Towards the end the grandson says “but I’d rather have grandpa here, taking me to the river, telling me to button my jacket because its cold.” The big message is to honor your losses even if it is difficult for you. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 19, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible