The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Member:Maral_Sivaslian
Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

When a boy and his father visit the Vietnam memorial in search of his grandfathers name, the reader is taken on a somber journey. The illustrations and words match perfectly. We as the reader really get to experience the emotions that this little family is experiencing. This book is great for asking questions and actually teaching about something so important to young learners. As a history enthusiast, this was great to read. ( )
  amberloposser | Feb 4, 2016 |
The Wall tells the story of a young child and his father visiting the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington, DC. They have traveled many miles to see the name of the young boy's grandfather. It takes time to find his name since there are so many names listed. The dad finds his fathers name and becomes visibly upset. He traces his name on a piece of paper and they stay at the memorial for a while. The young boy watches school children and a grandpa and his grandson come by. The latter makes the little boy wish his grandpa is still alive. Eventually they leave, proud of their grandfather and the other men who served in the war. The theme of the story is about remembering all this who died and survived in the Vietnam War. The setting is the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC. This is the only location we see in the book. We get to see how people who lost someone were affected and people who are learning about the war. Everyone has different emotions. Some experienced the effects of the war first hand, while others were not even born when it took place. The setting lets us know exactly what the book will be about. ( )
  mamontgomery | Feb 2, 2016 |
The use of descriptive language and a well displayed use of the young boys inner thoughts allows for this book to be extremely successful. I really enjoyed the use of descriptive language, the author describes the wall so vividly the images on the page begin to come to life. As the author writes the tone is clearly set, and the relationship between the illustrations and the words creates a tone of sorrow. I really enjoyed the content of the book as well as the way the illustrations worked with the authors words to create the intended tone. I am not commonly interested in historical fiction but this texts relates realistic fiction with history to make a well thought out blend of two styles. I would use this book in my classroom, possibly on veterans day since the young boy is easy to connect to and the content is informative and well written. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Nov 25, 2015 |
The message behind this book is to appreciate those who have fallen fighting for something that they believe in.
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. The first reason would have to be the message that presents and the way that it presents it. Death is a hard topic to discuss with children, especially when it comes to the death of someone that died because of war. I believe that this book did an excellent job of presenting the topic and expressing it in a way that was informative and respectful.
The second reason why I enjoyed this book was because of the illustrations. It appears that the illustrator decided to present the images in a soft elegant way, which I believed helped with the overall delicateness of the book’s message. I also enjoyed how the illustrator was able to portray the sadness of the characters in a way that is respectful, which can be hard when it comes to such a sad, emotional topic. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is a story of a father and son that visit the wall of Vietnam War Memorial in Washington. A story about the ones that were lost to the War on the wall and the families like the boy and his father that came to visit there memory.

Classroom:
1. Have them draw a picture of a soldier
2.Have them write a nice letter to a soldier
  Amandacj | Oct 29, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,050,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible