The Wall by Eve Bunting

The Wall (edition 1990)

by Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

Title:The Wall
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:Ronald Himler (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, K-2nd Grade Readers, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Picture Books
Tags:Vietnam Veterans Memorial, family, feelings

The Wall by Eve Bunting

The use of descriptive language and a well displayed use of the young boys inner thoughts allows for this book to be extremely successful. I really enjoyed the use of descriptive language, the author describes the wall so vividly the images on the page begin to come to life. As the author writes the tone is clearly set, and the relationship between the illustrations and the words creates a tone of sorrow. I really enjoyed the content of the book as well as the way the illustrations worked with the authors words to create the intended tone. I am not commonly interested in historical fiction but this texts relates realistic fiction with history to make a well thought out blend of two styles. I would use this book in my classroom, possibly on veterans day since the young boy is easy to connect to and the content is informative and well written. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Nov 25, 2015 |
The message behind this book is to appreciate those who have fallen fighting for something that they believe in.
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. The first reason would have to be the message that presents and the way that it presents it. Death is a hard topic to discuss with children, especially when it comes to the death of someone that died because of war. I believe that this book did an excellent job of presenting the topic and expressing it in a way that was informative and respectful.
The second reason why I enjoyed this book was because of the illustrations. It appears that the illustrator decided to present the images in a soft elegant way, which I believed helped with the overall delicateness of the book’s message. I also enjoyed how the illustrator was able to portray the sadness of the characters in a way that is respectful, which can be hard when it comes to such a sad, emotional topic. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is a story of a father and son that visit the wall of Vietnam War Memorial in Washington. A story about the ones that were lost to the War on the wall and the families like the boy and his father that came to visit there memory.

1. Have them draw a picture of a soldier
2.Have them write a nice letter to a soldier
  Amandacj | Oct 29, 2015 |
I really like this book because it gives you a historical story through fictional characters discussing the events that transpired in Vietnam. It also has a personal feel to it because a boy is learning this information through his father, who is showing the young boy his own father's name on the memorial. The purpose of this book is to explain a historical event through fictional characters. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 21, 2015 |
I liked reading this book for many reasons. The story shows a little boy and his father. They are looking at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. The boy asks his father many questions as they state at the many names on the wall. The boy is very curious and observes everything around him. He notices the big girls putting American flags all along the wall and he overhears a conversation between another boy and his grandfather. The little boy was also caught staring at a veteran, who was dressed in his army uniform; he did not have any legs. I liked this book because it helps readers understand different perspectives from the time. The little boy does not fully understand why his grandfather is not here but he is anxious and wishes he could’ve met him. He does not realize that his grandfather died fighting in the Vietnam War. On the other hand, the father is sad. His dad died fighting in the war. Although he is sad, the father is also proud to see his own dad’s name written on wall. He sketches his dad’s name on to a piece of paper to keep. Another perspective is from an older man who looks like he fought in the war. He does not have any legs and is wearing an army uniform. He is staring at the wall and maybe remembering friends who fought beside him. I thought the way the author showed three different points of views was smart. I also liked how the characters were believable. A young child wouldn’t fully understand death, especially if they aren’t familiar with the person who died. When the little boy put his picture down underneath his grandfather’s name, he was concerned that his grandfather wouldn’t know who he is. This is believable and his father reassures him that his grandfather will know. Also, the father is a believable character. Throughout the story he remains pretty quiet. It seems as if he is remembering the memories he has of his own father. He takes his time searching for his name on the wall. The author did a great job of showing what the Vietnam Veterans Memorial looks like. It was easy to visualize based on the illustrations. Overall, I liked reading this book. ( )
  SarahAlaoui | Oct 17, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible