Mexican Enough: My Life between the…

Mexican Enough: My Life between the Borderlines

by Stephanie Elizondo Griest

Catfish and Mandala: A Two-Wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam by Andrew X. Pham (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: Like Griest's, Pham's memoir/travelogue focuses on returning to the family's homeland to rediscover cultural roots.

I just could not get past the first chapter. I think my expectations were already set, and it didn't meet my expectations. I'm going to wait a while and come back to this when I don't feel so vigilant. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
While well written, Griest's memoir/travelogue should really be called "Mexican Enough?" She prefaces her book with her attitudes towards her Mexican and Anglo heritage. By starting the book as such, you'd think that the book would mainly focus on her and her attempts to reconcile what it means to be a third-generation Mexican through her travels. Instead, Griest takes a more analytical approach, which really speaks to her journalistic background. Griest mainly writes about her time with fringe groups in Mexico - the gay community, native indians and protesting teachers. Between her vignettes, she includes figures relating to the on-going narco violence and immigration issues. Taken by itself, this book presents a very fearful, narrow and Americanized view of Mexico.

Outside of the first chapter and small references sprinkled throughout, Griest does not focus much on herself. It makes it difficult to think of this book as largely a memoir. Outside of that, "Mexican Enough" is an interesting read for those looking for a perspective of Mexico from someone who is on the border of two cultures. The descriptions of her interactions with Mexicans are very colorful and interesting. ( )
  unknown_zoso05 | Jan 31, 2012 |
Fantastic read. Please read my review at http://amusedbybooks.blogspot.com/2009/11/viva-la-mexico.html ( )
  amusedbybooks | Nov 18, 2009 |
I really enjoyed Griest's ability to weave together these different threads into an interesting -- at times humorous, at others heartbreaking -- tale. There's much to be learned from reading Griest's memoir, but most of all, Mexico clearly remains a fascinating and culturally rich place that everyone should experience at least once in their lives.
added by unknown_zoso05 | editGadling, Brenda Yun (Apr 27, 2009)

The systematic self-incrimination she repeatedly displays and the frenzied compulsions fueling her quest to figure out just how Mexican she truly is -- if at all -- are what make Griest's work important. It speaks to the larger truths all biethnic individuals are fixated on but aren't always as willing to expose with such intense honesty and nerve. So we continue watching with an interest best described as uneasy.

Growing up in a half-white, half-brown town and family in South Texas, Stephanie Elizondo Griest struggled with her cultural identity. Upon turning thirty, she ventured to her mother's native Mexico to do some root-searching and stumbled upon a social movement that shook the nation to its core.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible