dismiss

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Cranford (1851)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

Other authors: Nadia May (Narrator)

Mary Smith relates the story of her time with middle-aged spinster sisters Miss Matty and Miss Deborah.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson (Staramber)
    Staramber: In Over To Candleford Laura reads Cranford to her Uncle. Although separated by time they both contain everyday descriptions of provincial British life by – largely – passive narrators.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (InfoQuest)
    InfoQuest: In both Gaskell and Jewett's novels, a young woman (the first-person narrator) comes to visit a rural community in a series of related vignettes. Jewett's is the more poetic, and Gaskell's is the more humorous, but both are lovely little books which center on the experiences and relationships of women in the 19th century.… (more)
    The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy (noveltea)
    noveltea: Two endearing small towns, one British (with links to India), one Indian (with links to Britain).
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: In many ways a similar, acutely observed portrait of village life, with an especially keen eye on the upper and middle classes.
    The Summer without Men by Siri Hustvedt (thorold)
    thorold: Two novels 160 years apart that explore the roles of women by creating a view of the world in which men are peripheral or irrelevant.
    Purely for Pleasure by Margaret Lane (yolana)
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)
    Mrs. Ames by E. F. Benson (bell7)
    bell7: This story is similarly concerned with events in a small English town, though the characters' class and life situations are much different.

English (106)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (111)
This is the third of Gaskell's novels I have read, but I didn't like this nearly as much as North and South and Mary Barton, which were rich novels with deep themes and interesting characters. This was a rambling and largely plotless (albeit short) novel about the lives of various ladies in the eponymous fictional town, which is based on Knutsford in Cheshire. The characters didn't really distinguish themselves from each other in my mind, and despite some humorous passages, didn't elicit my interest. A bit disappointing. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 29, 2020 |
Life in a 19th-Century English town, one which is run almost solely according to the rules of the women who live there. I loved this book. Sweet and funny, with characters you grow to adore. Nothing much happens in this small town, but Gaskell has a knack for describing everyday events in terms of the momentous drama in which her characters perceive them and it makes for storytelling gold. ( )
  electrascaife | Feb 28, 2020 |
*Librivox audiobook by Noel Badrian. ( )
  proteaprince | Dec 18, 2019 |
This reminds me of an Austen style Golden Girls, which made me instantly fall in love with the book. Cranford follows a small village of middle-aged spinsters and widows through numerous loves, losses, and mishaps. It made me both cry and laugh, which is an ability I consider to be a mark of a good book. I look forward to reading the other books Gaskell wrote that tie into this one. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
A lovely cozy book of a tiny quaint town and a sweetly happy ending...highly necessary for my poor frayed nerves these days. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |

Ritchie, Anne ThackerayPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scales, PrunellaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watson, Elizabeth PorgesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses, above a certain rent, are women.
'I cannot tell you what the whole quiet picture has for me.' (Introduction)
Woodley stood among fields; and there was an old-fashioned garden where roses and currant-bushes touched each other, and where the feathery asparagus formed a pretty background to the pinks and gilly-flowers; there was no drive up to the door. We got out at a little gate, and walked up a straight box-edged path.
Miss Jenkyns wore a cravat, and a little bonnet like a jockey-cap, and altogether had the appearance of a strong-minded woman; although she would have despised the modern idea of women being equal to men. Equal, indeed! she knew they were superior.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439882, 014103937X, 0141199423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,734,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible