Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Cranford (1851)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

Other authors: Nadia May (Narrator)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson (Staramber)
    Staramber: In Over To Candleford Laura reads Cranford to her Uncle. Although separated by time they both contain everyday descriptions of provincial British life by – largely – passive narrators.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (InfoQuest)
    InfoQuest: In both Gaskell and Jewett's novels, a young woman (the first-person narrator) comes to visit a rural community in a series of related vignettes. Jewett's is the more poetic, and Gaskell's is the more humorous, but both are lovely little books which center on the experiences and relationships of women in the 19th century.… (more)
    The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy (noveltea)
    noveltea: Two endearing small towns, one British (with links to India), one Indian (with links to Britain).
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: In many ways a similar, acutely observed portrait of village life, with an especially keen eye on the upper and middle classes.
    The Summer without Men by Siri Hustvedt (thorold)
    thorold: Two novels 160 years apart that explore the roles of women by creating a view of the world in which men are peripheral or irrelevant.
    Purely for Pleasure by Margaret Lane (yolana)
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)
    Mrs. Ames by E. F. Benson (bell7)
    bell7: This story is similarly concerned with events in a small English town, though the characters' class and life situations are much different.

English (101)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (106)
Cranford is more a series of recollections and trains-of-thoughts than a properly structured novel, and yet I couldn't ask for a more satisfying story. Mary Smith's visits to the village of Cranford, which "[i]n the first place, is in possession of the Amazon...", are full of affection and rife with detail of how genteel women of modest means lived in the mid-19th century and, by extension, gives a lot of insight into how people behave, which is as relevant today as it was 150 odd years ago.

I especially enjoyed the digression about favorite economies, how Mary Smith says she is endlessly saving and hoarding string, even pieces which can't possibly have a use. We all have something, and reading that part aloud to my husband made us both immediately launch into each other's foibles, and consequently those of our family and acquaintances. All in all a profitable evening.

There is no doubt in my mind that the characters of Cranford were largely drawn from life, the turns of phrase, the way the ladies behaved, the topics of discussion, with some alterations this could be about the regular meetings of my own small village. A fantastic achievement. I'll be back for more.

Previous: Mr. Harrison's Confessions
Next: My Lady Ludlow

From: The Cranford Chronicles ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Yet another of those books that, now I've read it, I wonder why on earth I didn't pick it up before. A deeply amusing and poignant look at a certain domestic milieu in mid-nineteenth-century England, told through a series of short vignettes. ( )
2 vote JBD1 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Super cute. I really need to pick up more of Gaskell's work. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Cranford isn’t a novel like the author's North and South or Wives and Daughters but is instead a collection of stories that portray the dear ladies ‘of a certain age’ in a 19th century English village of the same name. It beautifully showcases Gaskell's ability to bring fictional characters to life despite how many generations removed they now are and how rigid their social conventions seem to be. And I just love her sly humor such as in the ‘cat and the lace’ story. ( )
1 vote wandaly | Apr 5, 2018 |
Like a very cheeky Jane Austen :) ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 19, 2018 |

Ritchie, Anne ThackerayPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scales, PrunellaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watson, Elizabeth PorgesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses, above a certain rent, are women.
'I cannot tell you what the whole quiet picture has for me.' (Introduction)
Woodley stood among fields; and there was an old-fashioned garden where roses and currant-bushes touched each other, and where the feathery asparagus formed a pretty background to the pinks and gilly-flowers; there was no drive up to the door. We got out at a little gate, and walked up a straight box-edged path.

A gently comic picture of life in an English country town in the mid-nineteenth century, Cranford describes the small adventures of Miss Matty and Miss Deborah, two middle-aged spinster sisters striving to live with dignity in reduced circumstances. Rich with humor and filled with vividly memorable characters—including the dignified Lady Glenmire and the duplicitous showman Signor Brunoni—Cranford is a portrait of kindness, compassion, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

A portrait of life in a quiet English country town in the mid-nineteenth century follows the adventures of Miss Matty and Miss Deborah, two middle-aged spinster sisters living in reduced circumstances.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439882, 014103937X, 0141199423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible