Bat's Big Game by Margaret Read MacDonald

Bat's Big Game

by Margaret Read MacDonald

Other authors: Eugenia Nobati (Illustrator)

I enjoyed reading Bat's Big Game. I liked this book because of the illustrations and because of the relatable plot line. I thought the plot was great because all children can relate to wanting to win during sports games and competitions. This book teaches a valuable lesson that all kids can relate to and learn from. I especially like how all the animals and birds came together in the end to tell the bat he can't just play games to win them. I also love the illustrations because I love the fact that the author drew the characters as animals. By drawing the characters as animals, the author adds a fun and entertaining twist to a great story. My favorite animal is the kangaroo. The main message I took from this book is that it is more important to play games for fun rather then playing them just to win. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Mar 28, 2014 |
Summary:
There is a group of animals and a group of birds that want to plays a game against each other. A bat come along and tries to play for both sides. Claiming to be both an animal and a bird just to be on the winning team.

Personal Reaction:
I thought it was a really cute story! The illustrations were really well done. They really grab your attention. I think it has a really good moral, that as long as you stick with your team it doesn't matter if you win or lose. The ending really threw me off. I just wish it finished different.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) I would read this book before my class would play any type of game with winning or losing. It would show sportsmanship. So that way they can know it's not all about winning just having fun with who you are and playing with your team.
2) I would use this book to introduce a soccer game to my class. It would help when I have to put the class into team. Because many of the children can probably fit into both groups, but they just have to learn to play with what team they are placed on. ( )
  sarahjohouck | Oct 30, 2011 |
This was a book that I chose for a read aloud. It has large, colorful pictures. This book allows you to create a variety of different voices. It also teaches the children about animals and sportmanship. This is a great book to asks a lot of questions on and do a say something.
www.libbyford.com Ages: 6-9 years.
  pinkgirl84 | Oct 17, 2011 |
Summary:
This book is about Bat. He wants to play in the big game but cannot choose a side. So chooses to be on the winning team but what he figures out during the story was that it does not matter what team your on, your always a winner. If you are a team player and everyone has a good time everyone wins.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this book. It had a great moral to learn and the illustration were very good.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have a discussion about teamwork and have the students do a project that requires teamwork.

2. Ask the students if they would let Bat play or kick them out or if they were Bat would they do the same thing.
  KimberlyGrossman | Mar 27, 2011 |
Summary
There’s a big game going on between the birds and the animals, and Bat wants to be on the winning team, whatever the cost. It might not end well for him.

Personal Opine
This was a good book. I’m a supporter of stories that don’t end 100% perfect for the main character who makes the wrong choice (see also Mr. Peabody’s Apples), and enjoyed the subtle “winning or losing doesn’t matter—play the game” message involved.

Class extension ideas
1. Ask the kids what they would do with bat—let him play, or kick him out?
2. Have the kids play a team-based sport for fun and to show the “stick to one side, winning or losing” message in action ( )
  CrossEyedClown | Mar 27, 2011 |

Margaret Read MacDonaldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nobati, EugeniaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Animals and Birds are getting ready for the big game. Bat wants to WIN WIN WIN--which team will he play on? The Animals look strong and fast, so Bat picks that side. A bat has fur and teeth, after all. But when the Animals fall behind, Bat switches to the Bird team--doesn't a bat have wings? Maybe the Birds will win! Silly Bat learns a lesson about team spirit in this lively story by renowned storyteller Margaret Read MacDonald.

The Animals and Birds are getting ready for the big game. Bat wants to WIN. The Animals look strong and fast, so Bat picks that side. But when the Animals fall behind, Bat switches to the Bird team--doesn't a bat have wings? Maybe the Birds will win!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

A simplified retelling of the classic Aesop's fable about a ball game between the birds and the animals, and Bat, who wants to play on the winning team.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible