The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood…

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts (1975)

by Maxine Hong Kingston (Author)

The Ballad of Mulan by Song Nan Zhang (bertilak)
    The Calligrapher’s Daughter by Eugenia Kim (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The first widely read Asian American book written by a woman, blending memoir, fiction and legend.
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    The Opposite of Fate: a book of musings by Amy Tan (cransell)
    cransell: Another memoir by a Chinese-American woman. Both are very good.

English (43)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (45)
I didn't particularly enjoy this novel/memoir, though it is definitely intriguing. I just wanted a lot more. It left me with a lot of questions that maybe I'd know if I were more familiar with Chinese culture, but I'm not. That's kind of why I read the book, to become more familiar with it. Like, why is it okay to have stories about woman warriors but then to treat girls like absolute dirt? When girls actually can and do do things in their culture?

Of course, a lot of it is twisted into a Chinese-American culture mish-mash thing. It's complex and interesting and worth reading and talking about. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 27, 2016 |
I really only finished half of this, but I can tell I'm done for now. I'm having a hard time with all the ghost stuff that's so common in Chinese culture; it's so irrational to me and this is very densely written, so I guess I'm not feeling patient enough right now. I would like to finish it someday.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A feminist book that is autobiograhical and empowering, it sets us straight on how it is that second-generation folks from immigrant families struggle to turn themselves into "warriors." Kingston tells us what it was like growing up in Chinatown (San Francisco) by providing rich, informative detail - and throws in some beautifully rendered dreamlike sequences for atmosphere. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I had to read this in some class I took as an undergraduate English major. I recall not enjoying it too terribly much, but as I skim through the passages that I underlined and recall some parts of the story, I think it may be better than a 2.
It's quite possible that my experience with the book was tarnished by factors such as my work load, my feelings about my TA (she made class discussion horrible), the paper I had to write about it, and what my professor did with it. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
This book is difficult to get into at times, but the cultural elements that it reveals are fascinating. More than that, the stories are generally truly intriguing. There is a lot of depth here that almost seems to require at least a second reading to appreciate. There was a bit too thin of a line between story and truth, as well as generalizations and accurate representation, for me, but that is almost nitpicking. My one big issue is that the outright Chinese stories, such as the one about Fa Mulan, take up a bit too much space in the book when I am wanting to read about Kingston. Still, extremely worth reading as a whole. Many of the family stories are extremely sad, but they pulled me in nonetheless. ( )
  TiffanyAK | May 8, 2015 |

Kingston, Maxine HongAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evenari, Gail K.Author photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lai, Chi-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sann, JohnCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mother and Father
"You must not tell anyone," my mother said, "what I am about to tell you."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679721886, Paperback)

The Woman Warrior is a pungent, bitter, but beautifully written memoir of growing up Chinese American in Stockton, California. Maxine Hong Kingston (China Men) distills the dire lessons of her mother's mesmerizing "talk-story" tales of a China where girls are worthless, tradition is exalted and only a strong, wily woman can scratch her way upward. The author's America is a landscape of confounding white "ghosts"--the policeman ghost, the social worker ghost--with equally rigid, but very different rules. Like the woman warrior of the title, Kingston carries the crimes against her family carved into her back by her parents in testimony to and defiance of the pain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

Chinese American woman tells of the Chinese myths, family stories and events of her California childhood that have shaped her identity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible