The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood…

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts (1975)

by Maxine Hong Kingston

Recently added byLJKeesee, althaeria, parklib, revliz, WestBranch, private library, octoseal, Nikkinikster
    The Ballad of Mulan by Song Nan Zhang (bertilak)
    The Calligrapher’s Daughter by Eugenia Kim (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The first widely read Asian American book written by a woman, blending memoir, fiction and legend.
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    The Opposite of Fate: a book of musings by Amy Tan (cransell)
    cransell: Another memoir by a Chinese-American woman. Both are very good.

English (52)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (54)
I read this on the recommendation of my dear cousin Wally when I was 9 months pregant and sitting in a large, empty, silent house in Kumasi, Ghana, waiting to deliver. I started the opening chapter and put it away until AFTER the baby was born. I loved the book and the richness it added to my perception of what it means to be immigrant and to be a woman. Its images have stayed with me all these years. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Read this in college. It was interesting book but not one I would reread. ( )
  KamGeb | Mar 9, 2019 |
Interesting. I just read my Goodreads friend Chelsea's review of this book and she says there is a story in here that didn't convince her to go vegetarian but brought her closer to giving up meat than anything else had.

I read this book in 1976 and became a vegetarian in January 1977. It was something I'd been considering for a while, and had been reading all sorts of things from 1973 on, but now I'm wondering if this book had some influence on my decision.

I still have a copy of my book somewhere. I'm curious about what the story said.

Vegan in spring 1988 after continuing to read and it was a book that got me to go vegan. Back then there were no vegan promoting films, no internet, etc. but even so books have such an influence on me. When I went vegan I knew no other vegans personally and when I went vegetarian I knew only one at the time. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Mar 8, 2019 |
Fabulous writing. Really enjoyed the mix of Chinese folklore with biography. Learned a LOT about life in a totally foreign (to me) and fascinating culture. ( )
  JackMassa | Jan 24, 2019 |
The Woman Warrior
3 Stars

Read this for a class on women's fiction.

Ostensibly a memoir, this collection of tales reads more like fiction. Through storytelling, the author explores the problems of being female from a patriarchal culture and of being a first generation Chinese American.

Although the book contains some very interesting and educational elements regarding the Chinese culture, it has a disjointed feel to it and it is difficult to become immersed in characters and plots. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Kingston, Maxine HongAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evenari, Gail K.Author photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guo, XiaoluIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lai, Chi-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sann, JohnCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mother and Father
"You must not tell anyone," my mother said, "what I am about to tell you."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679721886, Paperback)

The Woman Warrior is a pungent, bitter, but beautifully written memoir of growing up Chinese American in Stockton, California. Maxine Hong Kingston (China Men) distills the dire lessons of her mother's mesmerizing "talk-story" tales of a China where girls are worthless, tradition is exalted and only a strong, wily woman can scratch her way upward. The author's America is a landscape of confounding white "ghosts"--the policeman ghost, the social worker ghost--with equally rigid, but very different rules. Like the woman warrior of the title, Kingston carries the crimes against her family carved into her back by her parents in testimony to and defiance of the pain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

Chinese American woman tells of the Chinese myths, family stories and events of her California childhood that have shaped her identity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible