The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood…

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts (original 1975; edition 1989)

by Maxine Hong Kingston

Member:lizdamnit
Title:The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts
Authors:Maxine Hong Kingston
Info:Perfection Learning (1989), Hardcover, 209 pages
Tags:have, liz's sale booth

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts by Maxine Hong Kingston (Author) (1975)

The Ballad of Mulan by Song Nan Zhang (bertilak)
    The Calligrapher’s Daughter by Eugenia Kim (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The first widely read Asian American book written by a woman, blending memoir, fiction and legend.
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    The Opposite of Fate: a book of musings by Amy Tan (cransell)
    cransell: Another memoir by a Chinese-American woman. Both are very good.

English (45)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (47)
Disclaimer: This was assigned as reading for a class on Asian American Literature.

I liked the first 3 stories, but the last two were harder for me to understand. It's an interesting book, but not quite something I would have picked it up on my own.

Serenova_Phoenix | Jun 26, 2017 |
A fascinating set of short stories that strive to make understood what it is like to be a woman in china, a female chinese immigrant, and the daughter of chinese immigrants, and all of those struggles. My favorite story was "White Tigers." ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
The Woman Warrior
3 Stars

Read this for a class on women's fiction.

Ostensibly a memoir, this collection of tales reads more like fiction. Through storytelling, the author explores the problems of being female from a patriarchal culture and of being a first generation Chinese American.

Although the book contains some very interesting and educational elements regarding the Chinese culture, it has a disjointed feel to it and it is difficult to become immersed in characters and plots. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I didn't particularly enjoy this novel/memoir, though it is definitely intriguing. I just wanted a lot more. It left me with a lot of questions that maybe I'd know if I were more familiar with Chinese culture, but I'm not. That's kind of why I read the book, to become more familiar with it. Like, why is it okay to have stories about woman warriors but then to treat girls like absolute dirt? When girls actually can and do do things in their culture?

Of course, a lot of it is twisted into a Chinese-American culture mish-mash thing. It's complex and interesting and worth reading and talking about. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 27, 2016 |
I really only finished half of this, but I can tell I'm done for now. I'm having a hard time with all the ghost stuff that's so common in Chinese culture; it's so irrational to me and this is very densely written, so I guess I'm not feeling patient enough right now. I would like to finish it someday.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Kingston, Maxine HongAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evenari, Gail K.Author photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lai, Chi-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sann, JohnCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mother and Father
"You must not tell anyone," my mother said, "what I am about to tell you."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679721886, Paperback)

The Woman Warrior is a pungent, bitter, but beautifully written memoir of growing up Chinese American in Stockton, California. Maxine Hong Kingston (China Men) distills the dire lessons of her mother's mesmerizing "talk-story" tales of a China where girls are worthless, tradition is exalted and only a strong, wily woman can scratch her way upward. The author's America is a landscape of confounding white "ghosts"--the policeman ghost, the social worker ghost--with equally rigid, but very different rules. Like the woman warrior of the title, Kingston carries the crimes against her family carved into her back by her parents in testimony to and defiance of the pain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

Chinese American woman tells of the Chinese myths, family stories and events of her California childhood that have shaped her identity.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible