Pursuit of Light: An Extraordinary Journey…

Pursuit of Light: An Extraordinary Journey

by Sandy Brewer

“Every moment is a choice, and every choice reverberates . . . Every moment presents an opportunity to ‘pay it forward’.”

Abuse is not a chosen lifestyle for the child placed there by the abuser. Sandy Brewer relates the trauma of rejection and abuse she lived through as a child, and how she chose to reach a better life where, eventually, she found love and acceptance.

When faced with a situation, in this case abuse based on rejection by her mother, the way out is by choice. Either choosing to follow the line of abuse and grow to be an abuser as well, or to come to terms with oneself, and choose to overcome the abusive environment to reach the light, the other way of life—the environment of being loved and accepted by others. But how is this done? For one, it demands courage, and lots of it. Sandy was a very courageous child, who withstood harsh, brutal beatings and verbal abuse from her mother. To be able to bear it is hard to comprehend.

From being kicked and flung into the wall at the age of two, to being forced by a father to drink a ‘poisoned’ drink, Brewer’s willpower to survive pulled her through. Yet with all she went through as a child, she was able to find the courage and determination to end the familial cycle of abuse, one she was determined not to pass on to her future generations.

Brewer uses a technique of flashbacks to take the reader back to her abusive childhood. By doing so, she is telling two stories side-by-side: the first story is the one of her horrific childhood living in an abusive environment, the second her life as an adult and her journey out of the dark into the light. Brewer is proof that miracles happen.

I liked the way I was drawn to keep reading, the realization of questioning what else could possibly follow as if this (whatever was mentioned) wasn’t bad enough. I found a connection to the uncertainty an adoptee experiences, even in the best stable and peaceful family surroundings, where Brewer writes, “. . . I was aware of the blank, missing pieces of my life. I just didn’t know what they were, and I had no one to turn to, no one to ask about it. . . “

The heavy use of dialogue throughout helps us see the characters much more in depth than had she chosen to use simple prose. The combination of lessons Brewer intends to teach the reader weaved into the story line makes for an easy read of a very disturbing and otherwise difficult to read subject.

I highly recommend that every new parent read Brewer’s book to experience the effects of parental abuse on children and hope it will lead to the correct choice, and an end to parental abuse. The world will be a better place to live if only this could be achieved.

To learn more about the author and the book visit http://www.PusuitOfLight.com. ( )
  GloriaOren | Jun 25, 2009 |
Sandy Brewer combines this memoir with self-help openly, so it's emotional and effective.

Sandy Brewer is a survivor. As a child she endured horrific abuse and almost died at the hands of her parents. More recently she fought cancer. Not surprisingly, she's bouncing back.

What’s inspiring about Pursuit of Light is the message Sandy Brewer portrays to people. She shares her past in order to enhance her message of hope and change for others. No matter how bad someone’s past is it’s possible to be successful and happy now.

Read entire review
Blocked Memories

Because there were so many unbearable incidents that happened in her childhood, Brewer learned how to separate her self in order to survive. This is a common occurrence with victims who experience severe child abuse such as incest.

Both her parents were extremely abusive, so it’s understandable that she couldn’t face the reality of the situation. It’s a big part of what helped her survive.

Breakthrough

The emotional and physical pain from the abuse was numbed since the memories were blocked. Years later she had a breakthrough and her memories came back. It took some time but she learned how to heal these wounds. By sharing her story, she shows others how they can heal too.

Later Sandy decided she would no longer be a victim and dedicated her life to helping others. She’s had 30 years of experience as a therapist and is also a popular speaker and author.

In Pursuit Of Light, ISBN 978-0-9796554-3-2, publisher Peach Tree House, 2007, Sandy Brewer urges people to make the decision to stop being a victim and let go of their attachments to drama. She shares how to let go of the past, pursue dreams, change attitudes and improve relationships.

The story is told skillfully with humor. It’s amazing how much joy and laughter Sandy Brewer manages to portray in spite of all she’s been through. Although parts are heart breaking, the message of hope, light, freedom and change gets through.

There’s a difference between facing what happened and wallowing in it and Sandy manages to find that balance. She continues to pursue the light and teaches others how to embrace it with the techniques she developed. There are examples of her methods in the book along with mini sessions with other clients that offer insight.

This book is ideal for anyone having a hard time letting go of their baggage or victim status. She doesn't downplay the extent of anyone's abuse but regardless of what happened, it's never too late to enjoy living. http://www.pursuitoflight.com/index.php

Sandra Williams- Self Help Books
http://selfhelpbooks.suite101.com/ ( )
  Whitdoll | Jun 17, 2009 |
I am at a loss of words for this book. From the beginning, I had a hard time getting through this book. Nothing seemed to grab me and pull me in to the authors story. I would read a little, but then not pick up the book again for a week. I feel a bit in the minority having read a number of reviews for this book that just loved it. This is why I tell people reviews are a good beginning basis for a book, but it still is going to come down to whether YOU want to read it and if the subject grabs you. Even in my case...I didn't know I wouldn't enjoy it until I started reading it. Sometimes we choose right and sometimes wrong ( I have a few of books on my shelf like that). ( )
  Allie64 | Nov 24, 2008 |

Pursuit of Light: An Extraordinary Journey is an astounding, horrifying, uplifting memoir that chronicles Sandy Brewer s inspirational journey from a childhood of rejection and abuse to a maturity characterized by wholeness, deep love, and acceptance. Through her gripping narration, one quickly discovers the enormous gulf between what happened to her and what she has chosen to make of her life. She finds within herself a unique ability to assist others to their own triumph and healing regardless of circumstances.

Sandy, a teacher, counselor, and lecturer with over thirty years experience, tells her story in compelling detail, interweaving it with insight, compassion, and humor. She demonstrates how a change in perspective or point of view is a powerful tool to help one heal the past and to feel the happiness of renewal and the joy of living in the moment. She finds that in her pursuit of Light, the Light she pursues has also been seeking her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible