Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual…

Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession (2008)

by Anne Rice

3572030,515 (3.38)16

This book was quite different from what I had expected. It is the personal faith journey of the author most famously known for being the author of "Interview with the Vampire"

Anne Rice's journey from Atheism to Catholicism I expected to be focused on her struggles as an Atheist, but actually it focuses mostly on her childhood growing up in a pre-Vatican II Catholic Church.

Rice never seems to be what I would classify as a hard-core atheist, even if she herself did. I would only classify "Evangelical Atheists" not someone who took her vacations to visit churches and holy sites.

I was hoping for some data that would help me witness to my atheist friends, and I don't think any of that here is going to do so. The only ting I think that may be most helpful for me on this is "pray" and that it was much easier to come back to the church at the point in her life that she did, AFTER all of lives important moments (marriage, kids, etc.) so she didn't have to deal with the Churches hard teachings on sexuality, birth-control, etc.

There was a bunch of fairly interesting information about living in pre-vatican Catholicism.

It was certainly better than the previous Fiction writing that I had read by Rice (Out of Egypt) and it may be very interesting for fans of her more famous works (the Vampire Diaries series) ( )
  fulner | Dec 15, 2015 |
Yep, thats what growing up RC in the 50s was like. ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 28, 2013 |
I know Rice was trying to give the reader a feel for the Catholic church and her community as she was growing up, but I found those first chapters very dry and uninspiring. I did find some thought provoking ideas later in the book ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
In this autobiography, Rice describes her upbringing in the Catholic religion, her subsequent renunciation and final reconciliation. What struck me in this book, is that Rice has always been profoundly religious, mystical even, but cannot envision faith outside of organized religion. She is an extremely sensorial being, responding to the stimuli of the church: paintings, music, colour and smells are all part of the religious experience. These are what makes her fiction so appealing - this constant call to the senses. She moves in the world very intuitively and seeks the guidance of a god to explain it - it's an appealing, albeit not very rational, way of explaining life and its experiences. I'm not sure this book is very convincing for non-believers, however, because Rice feels rather than thinks her surroundings. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Feb 19, 2012 |
A fantastic spiritual memoir.
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |
Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.
Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If thou, LORD, shouldst mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.

--From Psalm 130
The King James Version
For the boys of the Redemptorist Seminary of Kirkwood including my father Howard James O'Brien
This book is about faith in God.

In 2005, Anne Rice startled her readers with her novel Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, and by revealing that, after years as an atheist, she had returned to her Catholic faith.

Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana

And now, in her powerful and haunting memoir, Rice tells the story of the spiritual transformation that produced a complete change in her literary goals.

She begins with her girlhood in New Orleans as the devout child in a deeply religious Irish Catholic family. She describes how, as she grew up, she lost her belief in God, but not her desire for a meaningful life.

She writes about her years in radical Berkeley, where her career as a novelist began with the publication of Interview with the Vampire, soon to be followed by more novels about otherworldly beings, about the realms of good and evil, love and alienation, pageantry and ritual, each reflecting aspects of her often agonizing moral quest.

She writes about loss and tragedy (her mother’s drinking; the death of her daughter and, later, her beloved husband, Stan Rice); about new joys; about the birth of her son, Christopher; about the family’s return in 1988 to the city of New Orleans, the city that inspired so much of her work. She tells how after an adult lifetime of questioning, she experienced the intense conversion and consecration to Christ that lie behind her most recent novels.

For her readers old and new, this book explores her continuing interior pilgrimage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

An intimate memoir of Anne Rice's Catholic girlhood, her unmaking as a devout believer, and her return to the Church--what she calls a decision of the heart. Moving from her New Orleans childhood in the 1940s and '50s, with all its religious devotions, through how she slowly lost her belief in God, the book recounts Anne's years in radical Berkeley, where she wrote Interview with the Vampire (a lament for her lost faith) and where she came to admire the principles of secular humanists. She writes about loss and alienation (her mother's drinking, the deaths of her young daughter and later, her husband); about the birth of her son, Christopher; and about how, after 38 years as an atheist, she once again came to believe in Christ.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible