The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins…

The Yellow Wall-Paper (original 1892; edition 1996)

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Elaine Hedges (Afterword)

1,273496,194 (4.07)1 / 206
Member:alceinwdld
Title:The Yellow Wall-Paper
Authors:Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Other authors:Elaine Hedges (Afterword)
Info:The Feminist Press at CUNY (1996), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:fiction, insanity, feminist

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1892)

Brilliant work and I love how disturbing people thought it was when she wrote it. As if one would have to be insane to be able to write that brilliantly. Loved it and will read it again. ( )
  KikiUnhinged | Feb 9, 2014 |
I first came across this title when working on a project involving influential women. What little I heard about this story intrigued me, and now having read it, all I can say is "wow". This definitely has a mind-blowing quotient to it and begs discussion. I also loved how it felt gothic. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jan 5, 2014 |
A creepy supernatural tale that should be on every horror lover's shelf. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Chilling !
A haunting tale of one womans descent into mental illness. Short but yet slightly eerie as you follow her decline into the madness. Loved it ! ( )
  ginger72 | Nov 20, 2013 |
What a wonderfully creepy short story (novella?)! I had plenty of suspicions about what was going to happen, but wasn't even close... ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 18, 2013 |

Charlotte Perkins Gilmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Farrell, MaggieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is very seldom that mere ordinary people like John and myself secure ancestral halls for the summer.
This is a short story, do NOT combine with the collection.

From the back cover:

'It is the strangest yellow, that wall-paper! It makes me think of all the yellow things I ever saw - not beautiful ones like buttercups, but old, foul, bad yellow things...It creeps all over the house.'

Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrenched this small literary masterpiece from her own experience. Narrated with superb psychological skill and dramatic precision, it tells the story of a nameless woman driven mad by enforced confinement after the birth of her first child. Isolated in a colonial mansion in the middle of nowhere, forced to sleep in an attic nursery with barred windows and sickly yellow wallpaper, secretly she does what she has to do - she writes. She craves intellectual stimulation, activity, loving understanding, instead she is ordered to her bedroom to rest and 'pull herself together'. Here, slowly but surely, the tortuous pattern of the wallpaper winds its way into the recesses of her mind...

First published in 1892, this perfect novel echoes the great stories of Edgar Allen Poe, portraying with chilling power the powerlessness of women within Victorian marriage and the conflicting demands of work, wifehood and motherhood on a woman who longs to be free.
"The Yellow Wallpaper" is about a woman who suffers from mental illness after three months of being trapped within her home staring at the same revolting yellow wall paper. Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote this story to change people's minds about the role of women in her society, illustrating how women's lack of autonomy is detrimental to their mental, emotional, and even physical well being. The narrator in "The Yellow Wallpaper" must do as her husband and male doctor demand, though the treatment they prescribe to her contrasts directly with what she truly needs--mental stimulation, and the freedom to escape the monotony of the room to which she is confined. "The Yellow Wallpaper" was essentially a response to the doctor who tried to cure Charlotte Perkins Gilman of post-partum depression through a "rest cure," Dr. S. Weir Mitchell, and she sent him a copy of the story. Although "The Yellow Wallpaper" is not the first or longest of her works, it is without question Gilman's most famous piece and became a best-seller of the Feminist Press.

Quality Classics

We specialize in creating hard to find, high quality classic books optimized for the Kindle.

We always have the highest quality books. Sick of spelling errors, weird characters, or a lack of pictures in illustrated books? Well we know how you feel. All of our books are formatted and reviewed by an actual human for the Kindle, and always 99 cents.

To find more of our books search "Quality Classics" in Amazon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

The study of a woman's gradual mental breakdown. While taking a rest cure, the wallpaper becomes her focus of discontent. While her madness progresses, so does her awareness of the way her creative energies are curtailed. Her obsession with the wallpaper continues as she struggles to free the woman crawling behind the pattern.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible