The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins…

The Yellow Wall-Paper (original 1892; edition 1996)

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Elaine Hedges (Afterword)

1,441575,209 (4.01)1 / 225
Member:alceinwdld
Title:The Yellow Wall-Paper
Authors:Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Other authors:Elaine Hedges (Afterword)
Info:The Feminist Press at CUNY (1996), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:fiction, insanity, feminist

The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1892)

Have you ever lain in bed and gazed at the shifting shapes in curtains, wallpaper or screens? I have seen so many faces in the green shadecloth outside our bedroom window over the years. Bearded faces, old pointy faces. Hopeless to point them out to other people. They see their own faces. Or don't. I love books that capture that oh so "human" of experiences - the power of imagination and its capacity to cripple or liberate. If you want to get ahead with your reading goal for this year, you can knock this book over in a snap. And it, in turn, will knock you over with the power of suggestion and keep you thinking for a while and yearn for more by this author. Thanks for a great Mother's Day Gift Caspar!
  alexdaw | May 9, 2015 |
A woman, confined to an upper-story bedroom in a creepy house for a "rest cure" following a mental breakdown, becomes obsessed with the hideous yellow wallpaper.

I have read this story a few times and I always forget how creepy and chilling it is, especially the final image. Gilman has a knack of pointing out the horrific things that society does to women. In this story, depriving the narrator of her means of expressing herself and stimulating her brain is just as terrifying as confining her to her room. I believe the narrator was suffering from undiagnosed postpartum depression.

Reread in 2015. ( )
  sturlington | May 4, 2015 |
Never read this as a kid, realized I probably should. An interesting perspective on interior decorating. ( )
  amydross | Apr 7, 2015 |
This was shorter than I expected.. But interesting.. I loved the visuals I got from her description of the creeping woman behind the pattern in the wallpaper... And to learn ultimately that it was herself she saw trapped behind it.. Creepy.. And sad.. I enjoyed it! ( )
  Sullwyn | Jan 21, 2015 |
I first read this piece for an English class a couple years ago and it’s been with me ever since. It’s a fairly short read but when it’s over it still haunts you and leaves you chilled to the bone. I think that this story depicts how someone with a mental illness could feel when their illness isn’t validated and properly cared for. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jan 9, 2015 |

Gilman, Charlotte Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hedges, Elaine R.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Farrell, MaggieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is very seldom that mere ordinary people like John and myself secure ancestral halls for the summer.
There are things in that paper that nobody knows but me, or ever will.
It is the same woman, I know, for she is always creeping, and most women do not creep by daylight.
Personally, I believe that congenial work, with excitement and change, would do me good.
He is very careful and loving, and hardly lets me stir without special direction.
The color is repellent, almost revolting; a smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight.
This is the short story, including the Feminist Press Reprint No. 3 edition (1973) and Virago Modern Classic No. 50 (1981). Please do NOT combine with any anthology or other collection, but only with other editions confirmed as having the same contents. Thank you.

From the back cover:

'It is the strangest yellow, that wall-paper! It makes me think of all the yellow things I ever saw - not beautiful ones like buttercups, but old, foul, bad yellow things...It creeps all over the house.'

Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrenched this small literary masterpiece from her own experience. Narrated with superb psychological skill and dramatic precision, it tells the story of a nameless woman driven mad by enforced confinement after the birth of her first child. Isolated in a colonial mansion in the middle of nowhere, forced to sleep in an attic nursery with barred windows and sickly yellow wallpaper, secretly she does what she has to do - she writes. She craves intellectual stimulation, activity, loving understanding, instead she is ordered to her bedroom to rest and 'pull herself together'. Here, slowly but surely, the tortuous pattern of the wallpaper winds its way into the recesses of her mind...

First published in 1892, this perfect novel echoes the great stories of Edgar Allen Poe, portraying with chilling power the powerlessness of women within Victorian marriage and the conflicting demands of work, wifehood and motherhood on a woman who longs to be free.
"The Yellow Wallpaper" is about a woman who suffers from mental illness after three months of being trapped within her home staring at the same revolting yellow wall paper. Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote this story to change people's minds about the role of women in her society, illustrating how women's lack of autonomy is detrimental to their mental, emotional, and even physical well being. The narrator in "The Yellow Wallpaper" must do as her husband and male doctor demand, though the treatment they prescribe to her contrasts directly with what she truly needs--mental stimulation, and the freedom to escape the monotony of the room to which she is confined. "The Yellow Wallpaper" was essentially a response to the doctor who tried to cure Charlotte Perkins Gilman of post-partum depression through a "rest cure," Dr. S. Weir Mitchell, and she sent him a copy of the story. Although "The Yellow Wallpaper" is not the first or longest of her works, it is without question Gilman's most famous piece and became a best-seller of the Feminist Press.

Quality Classics

We specialize in creating hard to find, high quality classic books optimized for the Kindle.

We always have the highest quality books. Sick of spelling errors, weird characters, or a lack of pictures in illustrated books? Well we know how you feel. All of our books are formatted and reviewed by an actual human for the Kindle, and always 99 cents.

To find more of our books search "Quality Classics" in Amazon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

The study of a woman's gradual mental breakdown. While taking a rest cure, the wallpaper becomes her focus of discontent. While her madness progresses, so does her awareness of the way her creative energies are curtailed. Her obsession with the wallpaper continues as she struggles to free the woman crawling behind the pattern.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,292,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible