Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

1,7193254,127 (4.22)32
Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

This book is a series of poems that a young boy named Lonnie writes about his life after his parents died and he is separated from his sister and put into a foster home.

I would use this book in my classroom if we had a lesson about poetry.

5th-7th grades. ( )
  alizadawn | May 4, 2017 |
Locomotion is about an eleven year old boy named Lonnie. He has a hard time expressing his feelings until his teacher, Ms. Marcus, shows him how to express himself through poetry.

This is a very good book but is also sad. I enjoyed reading this book. The story is told through poems. Every page is a new poem. The book uses many different styles of poetry throughout. This book is also told for the point-of-view of Lonnie. This book deals with loss. I would recommend this book to upper level elementary and middle school students. It is also interesting to note the book has a literary circles page at the back.

Extensions
1. Students write a free-style poem
2. Students create a rap, which is poetry. ( )
  joaplant | Apr 24, 2017 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The first reason is because of the writing style. The book is written in poetry form which the main character Lonnie says he does because his teacher says she thinks it's better to get all his feeling down. He says that whenever he tries to write stories he can never finish them so by writing poetry it's easier for him to write down everything he's feeling before he forgets.

The second reason I like this book is because of the main character, Lonnie. He has experienced great loss and suffering and cannot seem to over come it in the beginning of the book. He wants desperately to be reunited with his sister because she is the only family he has left. He eventually finds God and it allows him to be with his sister and come to terms with the tragedy that struck his family.

I think one of the main ideas in the story is how although you cannot change the past and sometimes bad things happen to good people; you can overcome your hardships and push through and build another life. ( )
  DSalah1 | Apr 11, 2017 |
Although I did not like this book, I find it has good educational potential and can be used to teach students about the different kinds of poems. The entire book is written in journal form by the main character, Lonnie. Lonnie’s teacher has asked the class to keep a poem notebook and the whole text of Locomotion is written from that perspective. In each poem he talks about the kinds of poem he is writing as well as personal events from his life. This book is a good resource to use when referring to various types of poetry. Each journal entry Lonnie writes is a different kind of poem. For example, Lonnie’s “Line Break Poem” talks about the importance of line breaks in poetry. He explains that line breaks help the reader figure out what’s important. In writing this the reader begins to read the rest of the book this way. It helps them notice each line’s importance and dramatic elements. ( )
  ndrehm1 | Apr 4, 2017 |
I have mixed feeling about this chapter book. The book is about a young boy named Lonnie in foster care. One thing I liked about this book is it written entirely in Loonies poetry. For example, on page 59 Lonnie write a haiku poem Ms. Marcus. Having your students read this story is a good way to expose them to all different types of poetry. I also enjoyed that it was a quick read. Another reason why I liked this story is because I believe it would have a positive impact on children in similar situations. It teaches children that you can express yourself through writing and poetry. One reason why I did not like this book is because the writing was constantly changing topics before finishing a thought. I found this very confusing while reading the book. I also felt that I was not being given enough information. I love the idea of this book being written entirely in poetry; however, I did not enjoy this exact story. The main idea of this story is to never give up hope even if you are going through a tough time in your life. ( )
  OliviaLuppino | Apr 4, 2017 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,087,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible