Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

Beautiful, but there was really no solution at the end. ( )
  zcurlach | Apr 28, 2016 |
Great book! A good previous for a unit of poetry, because it combines poetry and narrative. This book also shows what it is like to be in a foster home. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |
“Locomotion” is Lonnie’s journey as he copes with losing his parents and his separation from his sister after the death of his parents. When his class starts studying poetry in school, Lonnie is given an outlet in a crucial time in his life, a time when he there’s more than enough reasons for him to need to express himself. Readers follow Lonnie as he works out what he wants- what he wants to say and what he wants in life. His desires are one of the main things that shape the story, especially his desire to see his sister. Through reading Lonnie’s writings about seeing his sister and her new foster mom, his new foster mom, and his teacher who is constantly encouraging him to express himself, reader watch him grow and heal. ( )
  tmoore3 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I'm not really a loud kid, I swear. I'm just me and
sometimes I maybe make a little bit of noise.
If I was a grown-up maybe Miss Edna
wouldn't always be telling me to be quiet
but I'm eleven and maybe eleven's just noisy.

Maybe twelve's quieter.

- Chapter 1

I read this book as part of our poetry unit in my Information Needs of Children graduate class. I am not usually a fan of poetry. I didn't think I would like this book, but I was wrong. It didn't feel like poetry. The poetry in this book took various forms, not necessarily rhyming the last word in each line.

The main character, Lonnie C. Motion lost his parents in a fire and has been separated from his sister. His 5th-grade class is learning to write poetry and through this, Lonnie (nicknamed Locomotion) finds a way to express his feeling about his parents, his sister, and his world. He has been through a lot and it comes through in his writing.

This novel was moving and very well written.

Recommended to:
Children (and adults) who enjoy historical fiction and stories of overcoming hardships. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Apr 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I loved that the author, Jacqueline Woodson, chose a child’s perspective for this story. The book is made up of free verse poetry that tell a story in Lonnie’s point of view. I think that this chapter book would be categorized under contemporary realistic fiction. There are many points in this book that the reader can really feel Lonnie’s emotions. The obvious theme within the book is tragedy from the loss of his parents however, I noticed that race was also a theme within this book. Lonnie really struggled with the color of his skin saying, “Ms. Marcus don't understand some things even though she's my favorite teacher in the world. Things like my brown, brown arm. And the white lady and man with all that good food to throw away. How if you turn on your TV, that's what you see - people with lots and lots of stuff not having to sit on scratchy couches in Miss Edna's house and the true fact is alotta those people are white. Maybe it's that if you're white you can't see all the witness around you.” Throughout the book the reader is able to see the changes that Lonnie goes through. Lonnie really learns how to express himself through his writing. As the reader, you are able to see Lonnie change from an unhappy, angry, confused kid, to a boy that truly appreciates the life he has become accustomed to. He says, “I can’t even imagine moving away from here, from Rodney’s arm around my shoulder, from Miss Edna’s Sunday cooking, from Lili in her pretty dresses and great big smile when she sees me...Can’t imagine moving away.” The message I got from this book was no matter what life throws at you, you must persevere and trust that things will get better. ( )
  Morgan.McDaniel | Mar 21, 2016 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,861,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible