Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

Enjoyable & affecting. Very much like Creech's Love That Dog, but different enough that I won't call plagiarism. Lonnie isn't as reluctant to write poetry; he really wants to find a way to get his ideas down and poetry is a good thing. Some of his poems are more structured, too: there are a couple of haiku, a sonnet, and some with verses and simple rhyming schemes.

Also, teachers please note, this is good for 'diversity' or 'multiculturalism.' Lonnie is African-American and knows that color matters, and is in an 'under-served' school with almost no white kids. But virtually no mention is made of the things that plague other books about this setting; no role is played by drugs, guns, gangs, or abuse. Lonnie (and sister Lili) are nice kids who happen to face some extra challenges but will be fine.

Note, too, there is fair bit of God talk. Lili's foster mother apparently has taught the little girl to be very devout... students can discuss whether that's a good thing or not, and what they think of Lonnie's reaction... and what they think of that woman's reaction to Lili.... Very interesting. Open-minded Christian homeschooling families would, I'm guessing, have an especial lot to discuss; narrow-minded Christians might take offense.

I'm quite sure I've enjoyed something else by Woodson; I will look for more by her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Beautiful, but there was really no solution at the end. ( )
  zcurlach | Apr 28, 2016 |
Great book! A good previous for a unit of poetry, because it combines poetry and narrative. This book also shows what it is like to be in a foster home. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |
“Locomotion” is Lonnie’s journey as he copes with losing his parents and his separation from his sister after the death of his parents. When his class starts studying poetry in school, Lonnie is given an outlet in a crucial time in his life, a time when he there’s more than enough reasons for him to need to express himself. Readers follow Lonnie as he works out what he wants- what he wants to say and what he wants in life. His desires are one of the main things that shape the story, especially his desire to see his sister. Through reading Lonnie’s writings about seeing his sister and her new foster mom, his new foster mom, and his teacher who is constantly encouraging him to express himself, reader watch him grow and heal. ( )
  tmoore3 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I'm not really a loud kid, I swear. I'm just me and
sometimes I maybe make a little bit of noise.
If I was a grown-up maybe Miss Edna
wouldn't always be telling me to be quiet
but I'm eleven and maybe eleven's just noisy.

Maybe twelve's quieter.

- Chapter 1

I read this book as part of our poetry unit in my Information Needs of Children graduate class. I am not usually a fan of poetry. I didn't think I would like this book, but I was wrong. It didn't feel like poetry. The poetry in this book took various forms, not necessarily rhyming the last word in each line.

The main character, Lonnie C. Motion lost his parents in a fire and has been separated from his sister. His 5th-grade class is learning to write poetry and through this, Lonnie (nicknamed Locomotion) finds a way to express his feeling about his parents, his sister, and his world. He has been through a lot and it comes through in his writing.

This novel was moving and very well written.

Recommended to:
Children (and adults) who enjoy historical fiction and stories of overcoming hardships. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Apr 9, 2016 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,826,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible