Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

After reading the book locomotion, I have mixed feelings about it. I liked this book because of the language it uses, but I did not like the plot. First, I liked how descriptive the book was. For example, when Lonnie was describing the fire that his parents were in he explains what he saw, what he smelt, what he heard, and how he felt. This really helped me picture what Lonnie had gone through. I also liked this book because of how straight forward the text was. When Lonnie was writing his poems, he wrote exactly what was on his mind. He did not try to add unnecessary words to make his poems sound better. As a reader, I thought this was great because I was able to understand what Lonnie was feeling and saying. I did not have to struggle decoding what the poem meant or try to understand how Lonnie was feeling. Although I liked the language in this book, I did not like how disorganized it was. While reading this book it talked a lot about his sister, his parents, his guardian, and poems. Since this book jumped around from topic to topic, I had a hard time following what I was reading and how it connects. I also did not find this book engaging. I had a hard time finding the climax of this story which made it difficult for me to read because I did not know what I was reading for.
I believe this book is very difficult to find the overall purpose of the story. I believe the author wanted readers to see the importance of writing their thoughts out and how it can relieve stress. She showed that writing out your feelings can really help you find yourself, just like it helped Lonnie. ( )
  mmarti44 | Mar 27, 2017 |
The main idea of this book was even when times are tough, hope can get us through. This book was written in first person in short poems, by an eleven year old boy named Lonnie, who lost his parents in a fire and was separated from his sister. He now lives in a foster home. What gets him through the day is writing poetry, and it’s how he shares his story with the reader. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is his inspiration to write down all of his thoughts the second he thinks of them. I loved this book for many reasons. The first being, it was small stories written in poems that all tied together to make one big store. Each poem was important and gave the reader and inside scoop into the mind of our main character and what he was going through, during this difficult time in his life. I also enjoyed the fact that this book had all different styles of poetry written sporadically throughout the book. This allows the reader to view different styles of poetry he or she might not know, because while he is writing the poems, he’s describing the rules and techniques for writing it correctly. Lastly, I loved how the voice of the writer was brought out in the text. It was not written grammatically correct, rather it was written as if Lonnie was writing his thoughts off of the top of his head, which connects the words to the character’s voice. Overall, this book had a lot of meaning behind it and was a great inspiration to keep fighting when times get tough. I loved everything about it. ( )
  liannarossi | Mar 27, 2017 |
I really liked this book for a couple reasons. First, I liked how the book was written on poems by the main character, Lonnie. This writing style fit nicely for the text because Lonnie was learning about poetry and he used it to explain his life to the readers. The author, through Lonnie’s point of view, explained why the book was written in this style by saying, “This whole book is a poem ‘cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet!” This made the writing engaging and easy to understand. Each poem had a title so that the readers understood what it would be about so it was very organized. I also like this book because it pushes readers to think about tough issues. In the book, Lonnie struggles to cope with his parents’ death and being separated from his sister. As a reader, we get to learn about how this effect Lonnie’s life and what he does to try to cope with the hardships in his life. In Lonnie’s “Just Nothing Poem”, he writes, “I want to yell today. Get real mad at somebody. I want to punch something. Hard. Maybe punch somebody. Me? I want to yell. What family?!” In this poem, the readers are able to see how Lonnie feels occasionally about his family. It pushes readers to think about how someone may feel if they lost their parents and how they may cope with the loss. The overall big idea of this book is even when you experience terrible hardships in your life, you can always find happiness. Even though Lonnie’s parents died in a fire and he was separated from his sister, he was still able to find things to be happy about. He was happy that his sister was in a nice home with someone who treated her well. Lonnie appreciated Miss Edna for everything she did for him. When Rodney called Lonnie his little brother he felt happy and proud. Lonnie enjoyed expressing himself through poetry. And in the end, Lonnie was back with his sister and was the happiest he had been in a long time. He liked that his sister believed that God would bring them back together so he read the whole bible just to be closer to her. In Lonnie’s last poem, “June”, he writes a poem to himself. He writes, “Smiling ‘cause you finally finished the bible she gave you the bible she thinks is the reason you two are here now together. You let her go on thinking that…and you’re her big brother, Locomotion who’d do anything to keep her smiling.” Lonnie finds happiness by making his little sister happy. ( )
  jbaker31 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This book is about a boy that looses his mother and father at a young age due to a fire and the only survivor is him and his sister. After the fire, they get sent to a foster home where his sister is adopted to a wholesome healthy family, where he has been placed in families that have put him in extreme situations that have left him traumatized to some extent. Trying to make sense of it all, he writes poetry to cope with his emotions and thoughts. He constantly talks about his daily struggles and the reasons why he chooses a certain type of poetry, it is his escape. In the end, the only thing that keeps him going is his hope and his sister.
  jzsolorzano7 | Mar 19, 2017 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Middle School
Review/Critique: This book is a collection of poems that tell a story about a boy named Lonnie whose parents die. This book is beautifully written because it gives you full access to the main characters thoughts and feelings, but also leaves you asking questions. I really enjoyed this book because it was thoughtful and the topics throughout the poems are very heavy and insightful. This book would be considered poetry because the language creates imagery in the readers mind as well as the story expresses the authors emotions.
Comments on Use: I would use this book in my class during a poetry unit. I think Woodson writes simply but eloquently and this is seen throughout Locomotion. I would also use this book to demonstrate how to use meaning throughout different types of poems.
Medium: None- early chapter book
  khadijab | Mar 18, 2017 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,301,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible