Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

I read this one for school. It's a quick read. I liked it for the most part. It ends kind of abruptly. It's hard to really explain what i didn't like about that. It probably didn't help that i read the whole thing within a few hours.

*Review written on September 7, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 31, 2016 |
60 plus poems that tell a different story about a little boys life each day. very moving and heartfelt. Lonnie is a foster child and talks about his past with his family and very vivid imagery through poems.
  Jennamg123 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Locomotion is the story of a young boy named Lonnie Collins who, through the power of poetry, learns to embrace and love his own voice. The whole novel is in fact Lonnie's poetry journal, giving us the chance to fully see his character development and growth in his personal life and writing. This technique is perfect for teaching students how important poetry can be. ( )
  Jacki_H | Oct 13, 2016 |
"Locomotion" is about an eleven year old boy named Lonnie who documents his life and hardships through a collection of poems. Lonnie's parents died in a fire years before, causing him and his sister to be separated and living in two different foster homes. Lonnie talks about his parents, his need of seeing his sister, school life, living in a foster home, and other subjects. He channels his emotions into poetry with the help of his teacher Ms. Marcus. Doing this, it helps him learn to cope and grow as a person. The reader sees Lonnie change throughout the story by how he learns to become happier and more willing to accept people and their love into his life. Overall, this book was amazing to read. It touches on many real situations that people go through and brings the reader to understand the mind of this young boy. I would definitely read this book with my students one day to educate them on different types of poetry, the foster care system, and perspectives of life they may or may not have experienced. ( )
  goreyes | Oct 8, 2016 |
Locomotion by Jacqueline Woods is a book I really enjoyed. The book of poems is about a 12-year old boy named Lonnie. Lonnie parents died in a fire when he was only 7 years old. At the age of 12 Lonnie is still dealing with his parents death and his separation from his little sister Lili. In a series of poems Lonnie talks about his life and some things that he goes through. He talks about his late parents, his foster mother Ms. Edna, his sister Lili, his “brother” Rodney, his friends and the teacher at school, Mrs. Marcus. To me, Lonnie sort of overcame his troubles in a way. He seemed just a tad bit happier at the end. He was seeing Lili more, he had a big brother and everything was just going smooth for him. Upon opening the book, I dreaded reading it because I thought that it was just what it was, a book of poems. But taking the time to read it I had seen that the poems correlated to one another and it made it more interesting for me to read. I was happy that I did decided to actually read the book. ( )
  lasmith7 | Oct 8, 2016 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible