Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

I appreciated how this story was written in poetry. It was a different read than the other novels I've been reading, but I really did love it. I found that it was such a touching story as the topic of foster care is never easy. I would love to recommend this story to older students as a teacher someday.
  emilyauer | Nov 18, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this story. I can see middle schoolers reading it and connecting to it because it is authentic and in a sense sad but I can see children really enjoying it and love reading it as I did.
  ninaberger | Nov 11, 2015 |
Locomotion, by Jacqueline Woodson, is a unique, one of a kind poetry chapter book for children. It centers around a boy named Lonnie, or Locomotion (after a famous singer his mom loved), who is an orphan due to his parents dying in a fire when he was just seven years old. All he has left is his little sister, Lili, who was adopted by a good family that doesn’t let him visit much. The main idea of this book is about the power of poetry and self-expression. Locomotion expresses his feelings about school and his life through 60 sonnets, haikus, etc. The book flows wonderfully, in the perspective of a twelve-year-old boy, along with its happy ending; the boy learns to enjoy life again because writing poetry helps him understand his feelings, which are powerful. “Today’s a bad day/ Is that haiku? Do I look/ like I even care?” ( )
  EllieCoe | Nov 3, 2015 |
I liked the book overall, but I felt that more could have been added to it. The book was composed of all poems. Some of them rhyme and some don't. Some are random, and some incorporate dialogue. I like the emotion that could be felt throughout the book, but I wish that there was more description in some parts of the story/some of the poems. First, I liked the emotion in the book. Lonnie had a real connection with his mother. His mother and father both died in a house fire. Lonnie and his sister were at a friend's house when the fire took place. Lonnie was very close with his mother. You can feel the emotion and sorrow in the poem titled, "Birth," on page 74. It talks about when Lonnie was born and how he was a premature baby. He had a lot of dialogue in this poem, mainly of what his mother told him about when he was born. For example, she said, "See this chicken I'm about to cut up and fry? You were even smaller than it. Doctors said there's a little but we can do but mostly you have to hope hard and pray." This is Lonnie's mother's recollection from when he was born. He remembered her telling him these words. It adds a sad emotion to the poem. Also, the poem titled "Teacher of the Year" was a very powerful poem. It was when Lonnie's teacher, Ms. Marcus won the teacher of the year award. The news came into her classroom. The broadcaster wanted to hear from Lonnie. Lonnie said he only liked Ms. Marcus for the poetry, not math. At the beginning of the school year, Lonnie was not too fond of poetry and did not know much about it, but by the end of the school year, it seems that he enjoys it. Here is what makes this poem powerful. The newsman kept looking at Lonnie when the other kids were begging to speak to the camera and the newsman said, "No, I'd like to hear something from this gentleman." So, Lonnie read his poem titled, "Birth" to the newsman, real slow, the way Ms. Marcus said they should read poetry. Everyone was shocked and taken aback by Lonnie's poem because it was that powerful. Lastly, I wish that some more detail was added to the story. One of the main background points of the story is that Lonnie's parents got killed in a house fire. There was not much mentioned about the fire. I think that there should have been some more detail or points mentioned about the house fire. Also, I think if some of the poems rhymed, they would be even more effective and powerful than they already were. Some children may be confused by the way some of the poems were worded. Rhyming also makes poems more easy and interesting for children to read.

The big idea/main message of the story is about love, loss, and hope. Lonnie loved his parents, lost them, and once him and his sister were separated in the foster care system, he lost hope. Throughout the story, as he keeps writing poetry, it is evident that he is gaining hope back and that living with his foster mother isn't so bad. He still loved his sister and frequently still went to see her. ( )
  abecke14 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I liked how the writings and the POV of this book were organized. The entire book was poems written by the main character, Lonnie. The whole book being written in various poems made reading the book flow very well and made the book more enjoyable. The book being written in Lonnie's Point of View allows the reader to really empathize for him. The book is written in poems from Lonnie's POV and this allows the reader to gain insight into tragedies in Lonnie's life. Rather than just reading that his parents died in a house fire, he was separated from his sister and then somewhat kept from her, the reader get the story from Lonnie's perspective which allows the reader to feel as if they are living through everything with Lonnie. I think the message of this story is keep your family in your heart no matter what. After being separated and kept from his sister, Lonnie continued to try to see her and always loved her dearly. ( )
  tpuryear | Oct 26, 2015 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,837,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible