Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

1,3202145,899 (4.17)26
Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

Grade: 4-8
Poetry/Prose
Locomotion was a very quick but heart-wrenching read. The entire book is written in stanza by the main character Lonnie. Lonnie is using poetry to help express himself after he loses both of his parents in a tragic fire. The poetry although sad at times is also very hopeful especially torwards the end. Within the poetry Lonnie describes his relationships with many important people in his life, especially his little sister Lili, whom he has a huge heart for. Lonnie also often uses his poetry in the novel to flashback. He flashes back to times when he and Lili were small and his parents were still alive. In the beginning of the novel Lonnie flashes back, "Once when we was real little I was sitting at the window holding my baby sister, Lili on my lap. Mama kept saying, honey don't you drop my baby" ( Woodson, 5). My favorite line in the novel comes at the very end when Lonnie really begins to accept the new way of things and becomes grateful of the little things in life. He says, "You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles" (Woodson, 99). Although Lonnie loses his parents before the novel even begins you can see that by the end he has gained a new family, a patchwork family. He has Miss Edna who has taken him in like a new son, and her son Rodney who calls Lonnie 'little brother". He also has Miss Marcus, a teacher who cares a lot, and of course Lili. Their sibling relationship has been strengthened through hardship. ( )
  danielleshorr | Oct 26, 2014 |
The touching novels about Lonnie Collins Motion (a.k.a. Locomotion), a young African-American boy who has lost his parents in a fire and lives with foster parents while his sister has been adopted. How can anyone survive all that Locomotion does? Yet he does - with the love and support of friends, family, and understanding teachers.

This is great to share with kids in the 5th grade level before moving on into middle school. Great lesson in how much anyone can overcome with the love and support from the people surrounding them.

This is a Multicultural book ( )
  Patrick-Shea14 | Oct 25, 2014 |
This book is very personal, heartfelt, and emotional. The story is told in poem form through the writing of an 11 year old boy who lost both of his parents due to a house fire. He was also separated from his younger sister whom he doesn't get to see very much. His teacher inspired him to begin writing poetry which turns into a writing outlet to release his thoughts and emotions. This gives him a healthy way to cope with everything he has been through.

This book is very well-written and creates strong emotion throughout the story. For example, Lonnie writes, "Mama. Some days I don't think about her and some days I do. Daddy too. Not the fire though. I shake my head when those thoughts come. Shake them out real fast." This reveals some of Lonnie's innermost, personal thoughts. He doesn't talk about the loss of his parents with anyone. Poetry creates a way for him to express his thoughts on paper and reflect on things he may not normally reflect on aloud with someone else. Another way the author presents emotion in the story is during the scene when the students have to write about their family. Lonnie gets emotional and frustrated, but the other students don't know why that is.

The big message of this story is that life does get better over time and there is always a way to cope with life's situations. ( )
  GinaBayne | Oct 21, 2014 |
Locomotion, in my opinion, is a children’s fictional book that sends a clear message of holding strong values for yourself, and to possess encouraging motifs that keep you going. Within the book, I found that the characters, the writing, and the book in general, pushes readers to think about tough issues.

Death, grief, and loss are all characteristics Lonnie, the main character was going through throughout the whole novel. His character was so well-developed, I almost believed this was based on a true story. I felt as though the cover of the novel portrays a realistic picture of a young boy, thus, it helps illustrate Lonnie’s character in the reader’s minds.

The writing within the story is extremely engaging. I felt as though the novel was engaging based on how the writing was laid out for the readers – in a poetic format. Furthermore, the readers are able to build their own thoughts and ideas based on the writing done by the main character of Lonnie through his life struggles since his mother and father passed; thus, this made the novel intriguing to read. It was an extremely easy read too based on the writing. It was basic vocabulary, and included Lonnie’s slang/broken grammatical speech. For example, Lonnie reply’s to his teacher, Ms. Marcus about writing in his journal saying, “Me? I ain’t got nothing to say today.” I literally did not put the book down when I opened it up because Lonnie’s self-worth was being recognized by his Teacher Ms. Marcus, and I was determine, in one sitting, I make sure Lonnie had a great end to his tragic story.

Finally, Lonnie faced some horrible moments between the ages of seven and 11. Dealing with the death of his parents in a tragic fire, living in home to home of loving church friends, living in a group home, then to foster living. These events in the novel are tough issues that really do push readers to think about. We live day by day in our own lives, not knowing the struggles of some people, so reading stories, like this one through the eyes of Lonnie, becomes an eye opener to reality.

I encourage any and every one to read this novel! ( )
  sarahbassett | Oct 20, 2014 |
“Locomotion,” is a narrative written almost entirely in free verse poetry. The book is narrated by a boy named Lonnie, whose parents passed away when he was seven years old resulting in a major life change. Lonnie is eleven years old as he narrates the book. During this time in his life Lonnie is living with a foster mother, Miss. Edna and he is attending school where he is learning about poetry. Lonnie finds that poetry is the best way for him to express his feelings, thoughts, and memories. This book teaches that there is always hope that everything can get better even when it seems as though nothing else can go wrong. Lonnie was dealt a poor hand of cards as a child but as the story continues things start to look up for Lonnie. I enjoyed this book for many reasons. One aspect of this book that I very much enjoyed was the various tones Lonnie used in his poems. At the beginning of the book Lonnie thinks of his parents as stars as he writes, “Sometimes I sit counting the stars- Maybe one is my mama and- another one is my daddy And maybe that’s why – sometimes they flicker a little bit.” The love that Lonnie has for his parents is undeniable as he hopes for their return back to his life in one way or another. I also appreciated the titles of each poem that Lonnie chose. Each title represented the poem written in a rather straightforward manner, which was helpful, as the book did not always flow in a sequential timeline. One last thing that I loved about this book was how the author decided to put his poems into the order that he chose for the book. Lonnie went back and forth between various stories about his sister, school, the foster home he was living in, and his parents. Though the stories jumped all around I was still able to follow the story and the emotions that he felt pertaining to each of the stories explained in the book. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Oct 15, 2014 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:41 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible