Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Recently added bygortonraidersread, private library, diana.n, mrsav, jbarry, HunterMiddle, GirlsInc, bisb17, roteach
    Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

This is a collection of poems written by a child after his parents died, and he was placed into foster care. You can really identify with, and it impossibly no to feel for the child through the writing. I enjoyed this powerful book. ( )
  alarso2 | May 19, 2014 |
This book would be good to read to the class during a poetry lesson or learning about different types of poetry that is written to show that poetry isn't all about rhyming, and the story is good!
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
I found this book to be very interesting and different. It was also kind of sad. I liked how the entire book was made up of poems. He had a strong spirit, was hauted by his past, but ultimately found a new family. I would share this book with a 5th grade class and up. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |
After his parents were killed in a fire, Lonnie Motion is separated from his sister in the foster care system. This book is like his journal where he expresses his thoughts, emotions, and hopes. Each "journal entry" is written in the form of a poem. His tale is one of heartache, growing up, and dreams. I loved the story itself, but am not sure how I feel about it being written in poetry. ( )
  kryoung1 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I thought Locomotion was a great book. I thought it was a great book because of the writing style and because of the sequence of events. The plot was unique because it did not follow a chronological sequence. It took the reader through the memories and experiences of Lonnie as they came to his mind. This unorganized sequencing allowed the reader to connect more to Lonnie and his experiences because he let you in to his personal thoughts through his writing. For example, one page he wrote about his sister and how much he misses her, then his next poem is about a new student in his class. I also liked the writing style of the book. The book was written entirely in poems. Each page is a different kind of poem. There are some free verse, some haikus, and many other forms of poetry. Lonnie expresses himself through these poems. I think this writing style is a great teaching tool for students to learn about different forms of poetry. The main message I took from this book is that everyone expresses themselves in their own way. We all need some sort of outlet to say how we feel. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Apr 8, 2014 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:41 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,309,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible