Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

1,224None6,489 (4.15)26
Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

adoption (29) African American (117) chapter book (51) death (148) family (213) fiction (76) fire (75) foster care (121) friends (28) friendship (41) grief (36) hope (21) loss (85) love (51) multicultural (37) novel (61) novel in verse (32) orphan (58) orphans (41) poem (19) poems (41) poetry (388) realistic fiction (69) school (71) separation (26) siblings (69) sister (30) writing (36) YA (21) young adult (26)
    Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

I thought Locomotion was a great book. I thought it was a great book because of the writing style and because of the sequence of events. The plot was unique because it did not follow a chronological sequence. It took the reader through the memories and experiences of Lonnie as they came to his mind. This unorganized sequencing allowed the reader to connect more to Lonnie and his experiences because he let you in to his personal thoughts through his writing. For example, one page he wrote about his sister and how much he misses her, then his next poem is about a new student in his class. I also liked the writing style of the book. The book was written entirely in poems. Each page is a different kind of poem. There are some free verse, some haikus, and many other forms of poetry. Lonnie expresses himself through these poems. I think this writing style is a great teaching tool for students to learn about different forms of poetry. The main message I took from this book is that everyone expresses themselves in their own way. We all need some sort of outlet to say how we feel. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Apr 8, 2014 |
Through his collections of poems, you are given a glimpse into the life of Lonnie Motion. The story of his heartbreaks and the little moments in life he values are so raw and real that you have no choice but to connect to this story! ( )
  mariah21 | Apr 7, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Apr 7, 2014 |
Locomotion is written in a very unique format. Not only is the format unique but so is the content. The poems are written by 11 year old Lonnie whose parents passed away. We feel his every emotion from happy to sad to the point that he is sick. Woodson did a great job developing his character and taking us with him on his emotional journey. ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 4, 2014 |
“Locomotion” was a book that I enjoyed entirely too much. This book was one that I finished within a day and was upset to see it end. The main message in this book is that as long as you have hope and faith good things can happen. This is conveyed through the characters within the book. Lonnie the main character just wants be with his sister. Through out the book his sister tells him that if he can find god then they will be together. Once Lonnie finishes the bible he attends church and the after church service with his sister. Showing that his hope and faith allowed him to spend more time with his sister. I also enjoyed the way this book was written. I personally like that it was written in poem form it allowed me to look at each section a bit different. I feel that this form of writing also allows for the reader to feel the characters emotions in a different way. It puts the reader in the characters shoes so to say. Especially with this book for each of the poems were written in what felt like a journal. Also the poems that contain the same or similar title showed the main characters change in perspective about that topic. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Apr 1, 2014 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:41 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible