Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:aevans1
Title:Locomotion
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2003), Paperback
Collections:Chapter Books, African American, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Overcoming obsticles

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (2003)

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

Like Creech's Love that Dog & Hate that Cat, this is a collection of poems from a fictional child's poetry journal. The similarities abound (both kids start out hating poems, the teacher is omnipresent with her assignments & the kid responds negatively or positively, a story--past & present--is revealed, healing occurs through poems, the kid becomes confident as a writer/poet, etc.), but the difference is that the problems this eleven-year-old deals with are more intense than the protagonist of Love that Dog. These feelings concern losing one's parents in a fire, foster-homes, group homes, dealing with mortality, religion, race, tolerance, etc. It was pretty good and a quick read. I'd recommend it to some of my students, so good thing I just inherited 5 of them. :) ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Lonnie Collins Motion is an incredibly perceptive and resilient young boy, who does not fully realize his strength and talents. The highs and lows of Lonnie’s eleven short years are brilliantly expressed in Jacqueline Woodson’s novel in verse, Locomotion. Even though on the surface there is little about my childhood that is similar to Lonnie’s, upon further reflection, I can relate to his feelings of loneliness, his desire to belong to a family, and his longing to connect with others.

Part of the reason this book is so profound is that it is written as a series of poems. As a reader, I was able to experience the variety of emotions, struggles, and hope that Lonnie faced because they were expressed in his voice using verse. The use of poems allowed the necessary freedom to provide multiple perspectives and capture the essence of Lonnie’s thoughts and feelings. I imagine that for a young adolescent boy, growing up in a poor, urban environment in foster care, it might be difficult to express himself in a constructive way apart from using a format such as poetry or music. I love that his teacher, Ms. Marcus, recognizes Locomotion’s sensitivity and encourages his talent for communicating through the use of poetry. It is through his written words, expressed in verse, that I as a reader connect with Lonnie and meet him on his journey. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 24, 2015 |
This book is written in poems. It is a quick read that grabs the reader's attention quickly.
  elindseyziegler | May 14, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. First, I really liked that it was a chapter book written in a poetry format. I have never seen a chapter book like that and I loved how it was written. I also like that the poems were not necessarily traditional poems and therefore required the reader to think differently while reading. I enjoyed the book because it was a boy's search for acceptance and his sister. I think the main idea of this book is to learn to love yourself. ( )
  zfrid | May 12, 2015 |
Summary: This is a book with poetry written from the viewpoint of eleven year old boy, Lonnie. When he was seven he lost his parents and was orphaned. He was seperated from his sister Lili, and put into a foster home where they were allowed to see each other in small increments of time. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, helps Lonnie aka Locomotion how he can express himself through poetry and through his writing.

Personal reflection: Reading the poetry from this boy who was so young but had been through so much easily pulled on my heart strings. The poems were beautiful and really spoke to me on a personal and emotional level.

Class use: Use the book to show students how poetry can be written in many types of ways and the different emotions that can be expressed through their writing. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

When Lonnie Collins Motion was seven years old, his life changed forever. Now Lonnie is eleven and his life is about to change again. His teacher, Ms. Marcus, is showing him ways to put his jumbled feelings on paper. And suddenly, Lonnie has a whole new way to tell the world about his life, his friends, his little sister, Lili, and even his foster mom, Miss Edna, who started out crabby but isn’t so bad after all. Award-winning author Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical voice captures Lonnie’s thoughtful perspectives of the world and his determination to one day put a family together again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,014,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible