Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Tom's Midnight Garden (original 1958; edition 1992)

by Philippa Pearce, Susan Einzig (Illustrator)

Member:Bduke
Title:Tom's Midnight Garden
Authors:Philippa Pearce
Other authors:Susan Einzig (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (1958)

Several in ILL but no CC.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Dramatization of book. When Tom's brother comes down with the measles, Tom is sent to live with his aunt and uncle for the summer. It could be a boring summer in their flat but one night Tom hears the clock in the hall chime 13 o'clock. What does it mean? Tom gets up to explore and when he steps outside, finds an incredible garden in the back that doesn't exist during the day. Each night, when the clock chimes 13, Tom goes to the garden and plays with Hatty, a young girl who seems to grow significantly older each time he visits. When it is time for Tom to return to his family, he discovers the magic secret of the time changes in the garden and how they are connected to the old woman who lives in the upstairs flat.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This story is magical and lovely and written in that style of English children's stories that I absolutely love (think The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. It might come across as a slightly naive view of childhood, but I actually think it's pretty accurate. I kind of wish it was a little more fleshed out (a la Secret Garden, which is one of my favourite books ever and I haven't read it in far to long) but that's a minor quibble. Fantastic. The language is rich and evocative and beautiful. Plus, my edition had some lovely illustrations. Cannot recommend enough. Some children may find it a little difficult, as the language is somewhat old-fashioned (only a little) and in some places quite difficult, but I think most would find this a wonderful reading experience! ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Tom's Midnight garden - a reread of this poignant ,sad yet hopeful book. Tom is sent away to stay in an old house turned into flats,dark and bare,with no garden,no friends,nothing.But one night the ancient grandfather clock in the hallway strikes 13,and when Tom unbolts the back door,instead of the dustbins and old rubbish,there is a beautiful garden,and little girl to play with. Time will play many tricks on Tom,and the ending is heartbreaking yet hopeful.A little gem of a classic.I tend to mourn a little for the disappearance of this sort of classic children's book.For many today,the pace would be far to slow,there isnt enough action and vibrancy,but I think the intelligent sensitive child could still gain great satisfaction from this book.What a time the post war decade was for great childrens literature - the Narnia books,Charlotte's Web,The Little Prince,Pippi Longstocking,The Little White Horse,Rosemary Sutcliffe's fine historical novels-.All wonderful,thoughtful,evocative,intelligent,and they stay with you for life.
  dustydigger | Jan 22, 2016 |

Philippa Pearceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Einzig, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

Tom is furious. His brother, Peter, has measles, so now Tom is being shipped off to stay with Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan in their boring old apartment. There'll be nothing to do there and no one to play with. Tom just counts the days till he can return home to Peter.Then one night the landlady's antique grandfather clock strikes thirteen times leading Tom to a wonderful, magical discovery and marking the beginning of a secret that's almost too amazing to be true. But it is true, and in the new world that Tom discovers is a special friend named Hatty and more than a summer's worth of adventure for both of them. Now Tom wishes he could stay with his relativesand Hatty -- forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Tom finds himself in the midst of a strange adventure involving a garden that appears only at night and a girl from another time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,619,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible