Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Tom's Midnight Garden (original 1958; edition 1992)

by Philippa Pearce, Susan Einzig (Illustrator)

Member:Bduke
Title:Tom's Midnight Garden
Authors:Philippa Pearce
Other authors:Susan Einzig (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (1958)

Recently added byMaraBlaise, ClicksClan, private library, carolynm, parramarist
Legacy LibrariesRobert Ranke Graves
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (SylviaC)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (rakerman)
    rakerman: There are similar themes of childhood and memory in The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Tom's Midnight Garden. The Ocean is a much more intense book, Midnight Garden is more wistful.
    Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp (starfishpaws)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (riverwillow)
    The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (Hollerama)
    The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston (Hollerama)

After taking so long to get through Swallows and Amazons this was a really nice quick read.

Had read it before as a child but could only vaguely remember what happened in it so it was almost like reading a new book except I sometimes knew what was coming.

Was interesting to study it and see how it was adapted for the stage. Actually found quite a bit to say about it for my essay.

Really enjoyed reading it, think it would make a good story to read to a class or as a bedtime story because of the way the chapters are laid out and the length of them.

Must read more of Philippa Pearce's books. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 7, 2014 |
This story is magical and lovely and written in that style of English children's stories that I absolutely love (think The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. It might come across as a slightly naive view of childhood, but I actually think it's pretty accurate. I kind of wish it was a little more fleshed out (a la Secret Garden, which is one of my favourite books ever and I haven't read it in far to long) but that's a minor quibble. Fantastic. The language is rich and evocative and beautiful. Plus, my edition had some lovely illustrations. Cannot recommend enough. Some children may find it a little difficult, as the language is somewhat old-fashioned (only a little) and in some places quite difficult, but I think most would find this a wonderful reading experience! ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is a great post-war children's classic about time travel (nominated as one of the best 100 books, films and TV programmes about time travel in a recent a magazine I saw); and also about loss and yearning for a particular place. It starts very well and ends a little sadly, but very nicely tying together the present and the past. I did think it sagged just a little in the middle, but it contains a lot of magic and I would recommend it to readers of any age who like light fantasy. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 30, 2013 |
Captivating, engaging, magical and a lump in my throat at the ending.
No wonder, it's a classic. ( )
  gogglemiss | Nov 19, 2013 |
This book was my first encounter with time travel. It is still one of my favorite books of all time. I wish I could write like this. ( )
  AnnaLund2011 | Sep 20, 2013 |

Philippa Pearceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Einzig, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

Tom is furious. His brother, Peter, has measles, so now Tom is being shipped off to stay with Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan in their boring old apartment. There'll be nothing to do there and no one to play with. Tom just counts the days till he can return home to Peter.Then one night the landlady's antique grandfather clock strikes thirteen times leading Tom to a wonderful, magical discovery and marking the beginning of a secret that's almost too amazing to be true. But it is true, and in the new world that Tom discovers is a special friend named Hatty and more than a summer's worth of adventure for both of them. Now Tom wishes he could stay with his relativesand Hatty -- forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

Tom finds himself in the midst of a strange adventure involving a garden that appears only at night and a girl from another time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,382,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible