Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Tom's Midnight Garden (original 1958; edition 1992)

by Philippa Pearce, Susan Einzig (Illustrator)

Member:Bduke
Title:Tom's Midnight Garden
Authors:Philippa Pearce
Other authors:Susan Einzig (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (1958)

Loved this book. A beautifully written time travel story. My 12 yr old loved it too. Thanks for the recommendation Suzy! ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Wonderful the first time, more wonderful again. My book group seemed to like it a lot, too. Some of us want things clearer, others like the space for imagination given by a little ambiguity. I appreciate this fantasy that feels grounded in the real. It is so much more believable for me. ( )
  njcur | Nov 18, 2016 |
Tom was going to spend the holidays with his brother Peter, and they had planned everything about it. But could anything be worse than Peter catching the measles? And to add on to troubles, Tom had not had them yet, and his parents were worried that he would catch them, so he was sent away for as long as they thought was good for him at his uncle and aunt's.

When he gets into the flat, the first thing he sees is Mrs Bartholomew's grandfather clock. It strikes at the wrong hour, perhaps donging three times when it is four, and seven times when it is nine; but its hands are always pointing at the correct time. Anyhow that it strikes, though, it has not yet struck thirteen.

Thirteen..thirteen. No clock, whether it is broken like Mrs Bartholomew's or not, has ever struck thirteen. To find out, Tom explores downstairs, and finds a large, beautiful garden. But in the day time, the garden is not there. So every night, on the thirteenth strike of the clock, Tom quietly goes downstairs, and finds the garden. And every time, peculiar things happen... ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
This story is magical and lovely and written in that style of English children's stories that I absolutely love (think The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. It might come across as a slightly naive view of childhood, but I actually think it's pretty accurate. I kind of wish it was a little more fleshed out (a la Secret Garden, which is one of my favourite books ever and I haven't read it in far to long) but that's a minor quibble. Fantastic. The language is rich and evocative and beautiful. Plus, my edition had some lovely illustrations. Cannot recommend enough. Some children may find it a little difficult, as the language is somewhat old-fashioned (only a little) and in some places quite difficult, but I think most would find this a wonderful reading experience! ( )
1 vote thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Dramatization of book. When Tom's brother comes down with the measles, Tom is sent to live with his aunt and uncle for the summer. It could be a boring summer in their flat but one night Tom hears the clock in the hall chime 13 o'clock. What does it mean? Tom gets up to explore and when he steps outside, finds an incredible garden in the back that doesn't exist during the day. Each night, when the clock chimes 13, Tom goes to the garden and plays with Hatty, a young girl who seems to grow significantly older each time he visits. When it is time for Tom to return to his family, he discovers the magic secret of the time changes in the garden and how they are connected to the old woman who lives in the upstairs flat.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Philippa Pearceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Einzig, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

Tom is furious. His brother, Peter, has measles, so now Tom is being shipped off to stay with Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan in their boring old apartment. There'll be nothing to do there and no one to play with. Tom just counts the days till he can return home to Peter.Then one night the landlady's antique grandfather clock strikes thirteen times leading Tom to a wonderful, magical discovery and marking the beginning of a secret that's almost too amazing to be true. But it is true, and in the new world that Tom discovers is a special friend named Hatty and more than a summer's worth of adventure for both of them. Now Tom wishes he could stay with his relativesand Hatty -- forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Tom finds himself in the midst of a strange adventure involving a garden that appears only at night and a girl from another time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible