Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Tom's Midnight Garden (original 1958; edition 1992)

by Philippa Pearce, Susan Einzig (Illustrator)

Title:Tom's Midnight Garden
Authors:Philippa Pearce
Other authors:Susan Einzig (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (1958)

Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (SylviaC)
    The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston (Hollerama)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (rakerman)
    rakerman: There are similar themes of childhood and memory in The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Tom's Midnight Garden. The Ocean is a much more intense book, Midnight Garden is more wistful.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (bookel)
    Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp (starfishpaws)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (riverwillow)
    The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (Hollerama)

I´ve had this book for a long time and just barely got to it. It is listed as one of the top ten Carnegie medal winners, and I couldn´t agree more.
The book is about Tom Longmore and the summer he was sent away to his aunt´s house because his brother Peter had measles and his parents didn´t want him catching it.
Tom is devastated to leave because he had plans to spend the summer in his garden building a tree house with his brother; but instead is sent to his aunt´s flat, which has no garden at all.
One night, he listens to the grandfather clock in the landing strike thirteen times, so full of curiosity, Tom goes downstairs to investigate it. What he discovers is the most magical garden just outside the door where there was nothing there before.
Each night, he visits the garden, where he also sees several children there playing. Funny thing is no one can see or hear him; it´s almost as if he were a ghost. That is until he meets a girl called Hattie who can actually see him. They spend the time playing and talking to each other.
Now, time passes differently in the garden than in real life; and soon Hattie starts to grow up while Tom remains a young boy. As the days go by, Tom dreads going back home because he will no longer have the magical garden or Hattie to play with, so he desperately tries to find a solution to his problem.
The story is beautifully woven and you really have no idea how it is that the garden comes to be and why Tom seems to travel back and forth through time when he is there. When the reason is revealed, it couldn´t have been more perfect. I love reading award winning books for children of all ages and always come back with a great experience in my hands; but I can honestly say that Tom´s Midnight Garden has one of the most beautiful endings I have come across. That last paragraph feels like someone is reaching out to hold your heart in their hands. Just perfect. ( )
  AleAleta | Nov 3, 2015 |
1999, BBC Audiobooks, Full Cast Dramatization

From the Publisher:
When his brother catches measles, Tom is sent away for the summer to stay with his uncle and aunt and is thoroughly fed up about it. What a boring summer it's going to be. But then, lying in bed one night, he hears the old grandfather clock in the hall strike the very strange hour of 13 o'clock. What can it mean? As Tom creeps downstairs and opens the door, he finds out ... a magical garden, a new playmate, and the adventure of a lifetime. Una Stubbs stars as Aunt Gwen in this BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatization.

My Review:
Thoroughly enjoyed this BBC production of Tom’s Midnight Garden. I love that Tom shares every moment of his adventure with his brother, Peter, and that he meets with the elderly Hattie on his side of 13 o’clock. Pearce manages the notion of time beautifully – the skates, for one, are an ingenious idea. I was reminded while listening of a precious moment I shared with my father as a young child when he told me there are some doors in life through which only little people can pass. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | May 24, 2015 |
Several in ILL but no CC.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
After taking so long to get through Swallows and Amazons this was a really nice quick read.

Had read it before as a child but could only vaguely remember what happened in it so it was almost like reading a new book except I sometimes knew what was coming.

Was interesting to study it and see how it was adapted for the stage. Actually found quite a bit to say about it for my essay.

Really enjoyed reading it, think it would make a good story to read to a class or as a bedtime story because of the way the chapters are laid out and the length of them.

Must read more of Philippa Pearce's books. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 7, 2014 |
This story is magical and lovely and written in that style of English children's stories that I absolutely love (think The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. It might come across as a slightly naive view of childhood, but I actually think it's pretty accurate. I kind of wish it was a little more fleshed out (a la Secret Garden, which is one of my favourite books ever and I haven't read it in far to long) but that's a minor quibble. Fantastic. The language is rich and evocative and beautiful. Plus, my edition had some lovely illustrations. Cannot recommend enough. Some children may find it a little difficult, as the language is somewhat old-fashioned (only a little) and in some places quite difficult, but I think most would find this a wonderful reading experience! ( )
  thebookmagpie | Oct 19, 2014 |

Philippa Pearceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Einzig, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

Tom is furious. His brother, Peter, has measles, so now Tom is being shipped off to stay with Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan in their boring old apartment. There'll be nothing to do there and no one to play with. Tom just counts the days till he can return home to Peter.Then one night the landlady's antique grandfather clock strikes thirteen times leading Tom to a wonderful, magical discovery and marking the beginning of a secret that's almost too amazing to be true. But it is true, and in the new world that Tom discovers is a special friend named Hatty and more than a summer's worth of adventure for both of them. Now Tom wishes he could stay with his relativesand Hatty -- forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Tom finds himself in the midst of a strange adventure involving a garden that appears only at night and a girl from another time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible