The Continental Op by Dashiell Hammett

The Continental Op (1945)

by Dashiell Hammett

Series: The Continental Op (short stories)

Recently added bynog, private library, Magus_Manders, JordanRMD, ecpenguin, jimbomin
Legacy LibrariesSterling E. Lanier, Leslie Scalapino, Carl Sandburg

English (19)  Spanish (3)  All (22)
BOTTOM-LINE:
Pretty pulpy.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
A collection of short stories.
WHAT I LIKED:
Stories include The Tenth Clew, The Golden Horseshoe, The House in Turk Street, The Girl with the Silver Eyes, The Whosis Kid, The Main Death, and the Farewell Murder.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Not well-developed and kind of campy.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I was not personal friends with the author, nor did I follow him on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Dec 30, 2016 |
I'd never read any of Hammett's short fiction before and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. These are brisk, snappy stories that are ludicrous fun to read and more on the action side of the spectrum than the sleuthing, which suited me just fine. The Golden Horseshoe and The Girl With the Silver Eyes were my favourites of the bunch, though the oddly surreal The Farewell Murder was probably the most memorable piece, with its mix of African tribal curses, Russian millionaires and a psychopathic British ex-military man. ( )
  StuartNorth | Nov 19, 2016 |
  StuartNorth | Nov 19, 2016 |
Devious dames, ham-fisted mugs with guns to boot, and intrigue and double crossings to make your head spin! Yep, the Continental Op has all this and more! And as he chases leads and bad guys and gals through the streets of San Francisco, we get 7 adventures to tag along! I liked "The Whosis Kid" the most, and "The Farewell Murder" the least. But, the Op is the Op, and I am a big fan! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
I wasn't sure what to start my year with. Then suddenly I was in the used bookstore and this slim volume caught my eye. Hey you. Yeah, you. You know you can't pass up a Hammett. So true. I had high hopes. There were flashes of genius but it never broke out into the page-turning glee of its Maltese brother. The Continental Op is no Sam Spade.

The Chinese set down his tan bag and shook his head. "There will be no killing," he drawled, "or there will be quite a bit of killing. You don't mistake my meaning, do you, Hook?" - The House in Turk Street ( )
  VictoriaPL | Jan 5, 2016 |

Hammett, Dashiellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Debbie GlassermanDesignermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keith Sheridan AssociatesCover designermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcus, StevenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slonims, NancyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mr. Leopold Gantvoort is not at home," the servant who opened the door said, "but his son, Mr. Charles, is --if you wish to see him."

Short, thick-bodied, mulishly stubborn, and indifferent to pain, Dashiell Hammett's Continetal Op was the prototype for generations of tough-guy detectives. In these stories the Op unravels a murder with too many clues, looks for a girl with eyes the color of shadows on polished silver, and tangles with a crooked-eared gunman called the Whosis Kid.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,831,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible