As Good As It Got by Isabel Sharpe

As Good As It Got

by Isabel Sharpe

This wasn't a bad book at all to read. I think they should have camps like that for women that are having a tough time getting over those tough moments in life. I have passed the book on to someone who is trying to get over a relationship. ( )
  askum | Oct 2, 2012 |
entertaining. 3 messed up women wind up at a camp for lives that need mending. Ann (husb. suicide), Cindy (hust. cheats) and Martha (loves senator but do they really even know each other?). There's the gay camp counselor but is he Gay?
Good characters, premise could be possible, nice ending also. ( )
  hammockqueen | Sep 16, 2009 |
I really enjoyed Sharpe's other novel, and was totally disappointed by this one.
I had bought it as an advanced reviewers copy, and was hoping maybe the editor hadn't finished with it yet, but sadly, this was its published form.
Martha, Dinah, Cindy and Ann have all suffered losses in their lives (with men) and all attend a two week session at Camp Kinsonu in Maine where women, as in the Reddy song "I am Women" learn to love their inner self and get their lives back.
Twee, boring, one dimensional, poorly written, transparent, predictable, unrealistic. ( )
  coolmama | Jan 6, 2009 |
"As Good As It Got" was a very intriguing title to me. I was interested to see how this title played out with these characters. We are introduced to the three main characters in the first three chapters where we are provided with their background stories and how they wind up at this camp for woman who find themselves suddenly single . Each woman comes with her own individual situation but they each are able to see each others situations from a different view. I fully enjoyed the sarcasm that was sprinkled throughout this book. Ms Sharpe wrote in a way that allowed the reader to, almost, make up their own story about the characters. There were tidbits of information provided but I realized after completing the story that what I "read" might be different from how others will read this book. In that sense I feel that this would be a great book-group read. I think it would be very interesting to listen to others feelings and views which would be based on their own experiences. As the characters in the book projected their own experiences on others stories I feel that could occur in a book group, hopefully without all the drama. I enjoyed the book and was a bit sad at the end because I found that I wanted to know more about where the characters would go next but not in a way that I felt there might be a sequel to this story. All in all I enjoyed this book and will recommend it as a good, quick vacation or beach read.
  quadmama | Oct 15, 2008 |
fiction, romance, women, loss ( )
  gardentoad | Sep 11, 2008 |

Ann Redding has taken every lousy thing life has thrown at her and handled it very well, thank you very much. All she wants is to get her life back on track...but that won't happen till she makes her worried family and friends back off by spending two weeks at Camp Kinsonu, a retreat for suddenly single women. Now she's stuck sitting around a campfire, singing "I Am Woman" with a bunch of sandal-clad, makeup-boycotting women. If she doesn't get out of there soon, they'll be sizing her for Birkenstocks.

Kinsonu, an idyllic retreat on the coast of Maine, is supposed to be a place for new hope and new beginnings. But Ann doesn't belong in an estrogen Eden, she belongs in a corporate boardroom. Still, the camp has its compensations—she's grudgingly befriended some other "inmates," including Cindy, who honestly believes she's just killing time till her serial-cheating husband comes crawling back. And Martha, shy, overweight, and mysteriously silent about the man she's there to get over.

Maybe it was fate that brought them together at Camp Kinsonu, maybe just bad luck. But three strangers are about to bond on an adventure they didn't ask for—and discover that lives they thought were as good as it got could suddenly get a lot better.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:57 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,143,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible