Frankenstein Takes the Cake by Adam Rex

Frankenstein Takes the Cake

by Adam Rex

A very, very funny book of poems, rhymes, Poe, and Frankenstein! The fun starts on the inside cover, Wolfman, Drac, The Mummy and The Creature from the Black Lagoon assuming that you (the reader) are Frankie. But, the stories and poems don't stop there. This book offers a reason to the strange origin of these stories, a sampling of Haikus (with a haiku *about* haikus), Frankenstein's new in-laws, blog posts from a certain Horseman, Alien contact, and more, culminating in a wedding extraordinaire!

This was funny, and the simple flowing rhyming made it easy to read aloud. The colorful artwork encouraged my daughter to stop jumping on the bed and come and take a look. And the references made me giggle as I read the short stories and ads. Frankenstein, indeed, Takes the Cake! ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
Absurd stories, poems, blogs, and advertisements from monstrous characters of our favorite movies and poems. Many references to Poe's "The Raven" and other things that the supposed target audience (ages 5-10 ???) wouldn't get. I found the humor much more clever than my son did in this one... I personally LOVED it and hope to own it someday. I'll pull it out again when my son studies "The Raven" at an age when he gets it better. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Adam Rex returns in this second collection of monstrous poems, following upon his initial Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich, presenting nineteen selections that are brimming over with his trademark brand of sly humor. Formatted in much the same way as the first Frankenstein book, with a number of parallel themes - here we have the Headless Horseman's blog, in which he complains of the people who constantly stare at his pumpkin head, or imitate it; there we have Bigfoot and Yeti, and their pique at being confused with one another; here we have Edgar Allan Poe, and his hilariously poetic flights of fancy (much to the chagrin of a local raven); there we have the Phantom of the Opera, with a tune stuck firmly in his head - Frankenstein Takes the Cake is an amusing foray into the world of some of the world's most famous monsters, and other creepy creatures.

That said, although it is an enjoyable read, and a wonderful selection for the Halloween season, I didn't find Frankenstein Takes the Cake to be quite as appealing as Rex's earlier title, and I've been trying to figure out just why that is. The zany humor is still there (although I didn't giggle aloud with this one, as I did with Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich), and the artwork is in the same appealingly eclectic mixed media style, with its blend of painted elements, drawings, and photographs. But somehow the result didn't have quite the same magic. I suspect that this is partly owing to the more adult concerns displayed, from the centrality of the wedding (with a focus on the actual planning of the wedding) between Frankenstein and his bride, to the reference to Tipper Gore (which already feels dated). In any case, despite these issues, I would still recommend this one to young readers who enjoyed the first collection, and to anyone looking for suitably monstrous reads for Halloween. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 14, 2013 |
Rex tells poems about various monsters. Rex personalizes the monsters so that people can relate to them. I think this book would be great to read around Halloween--maybe not all the poems but at least one or two. ( )
  ckarmstr1 | Oct 25, 2011 |
To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 5, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152062351, Hardcover)

No one ever said it was easy being a monster. Take Frankenstein, for instance: He just wants to marry his undead bride in peace, but his best man, Dracula, is freaking out about the garlic bread. Then there’s the Headless Horseman, who wishes everyone would stop drooling over his delicious pumpkin head. And can someone please tell Edgar Allan Poe to get the door already before the raven completely loses it? Sheesh.
          In a wickedly funny follow-up to the bestselling Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich, Adam Rex once again proves that monsters are just like you and me. (Well, sort of.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Frankenstein wants to marry his undead bride in peace, but his best man, Dracula, is freaking out about the garlic bread, and the Headless Horseman wishes everyone would stop drooling over his pumpkin head.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible