Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark…

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (edition 2010)

by Beth Fantaskey

Member:Annesanse
Title:Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
Authors:Beth Fantaskey
Info:Graphia (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook, Owned, Finished

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Joles)
    Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley (foggidawn)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: has the same teen paranormal thing going on with the arranged marriage
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (Joles)
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Cats57)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Joles)

English (100)  Italian (4)  All languages (104)
It was a cute story, but it wasn't executed very well. I am used to expecting more from my YA lit so maybe I am just being a little hard on this book. The title seems out of place as there are no rules or helpful "tips" from Jessica during the story.

There is a love story that seemed to be missing some of the steps to get to love, but oh well. Again, YA Lit.

tkappleton | Jun 22, 2014 |
So...

I was actually surprised at how amusing I found the first third of this book. It certainly exceeded my expectations. The rest of the book, not so much, and the end -while workable- was not executed very well at all. One particular reason why I found the middle to end sections so hard to stomach (I only ended up finishing it because I am in a race with someone to read the most books, and I didn't want to waste the time I spent reading the first half lol) was how Jessica seemed to supposed to be all empowered and stuff, while she (and everything about the book) is actually still very male centric, and the attitudes that Jessica develops towards Lucius seem very unhealthy.

The idea (and even execution) of a vampire being transplanted to rural Pennsylvania really was priceless. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
Si puntò un dito al petto e dichiarò scandendo bene le parole come se avesse di fronte un bambino: «Io sono un vampiro». Poi, con lo stesso dito, indicò me. «Tu sei un vampiro. Noi ci sposeremo all’alba della tua maggiore età. Così è stato deciso al momento della nostra nascita». Il mio povero cervello non arrivò nemmeno a processare la parola “sposeremo”, figuriamoci “deciso”. Si bloccò a “vampiro”.
Libro molto bello!! L'ho letto davvero con molto piacere e spensieratezza.
Libro d'esordio di Beth Fantaskey che devo dire promette bene come scrittrice.Diciamo che la storia è ormai un "classico" dei giorni nostri....stundentessa americana e vampiro bello e dannato, però comunque una bella storia! Sicuramente diversa da Twilight, questa è una "favola" dei giorni nostri più che un romanzo, perchè ne racchiudetutti gli elementi: principi, principesse, cavalli, castelli....e chissà anche il tanto amato "e vissero felici e contenti" in questo caso per l'eternità?! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
This was a lot of fun to read, and I flat out adored the first 3/4th of the book. Jessica was funny, totally identifiable, and I found the whole premise pretty amusing. (Plus, anthropologist mother=win!) My only quibble was the ending when they (*spoiler alert*) end up in Romania. Things kind of fell apart for me then, with no grounding in the characters, setting, or events. It all felt kind of strange and I wish the book had wrapped up in the US. Anyhow, it was fun though, and I'll definitely be picking up the next book! ( )
  Meradeth | Jun 25, 2013 |
My opinion of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side changed about a dozen times as I read the book. At first, I didn't like it much - because I took an immediate dislike to Lucius, the vampire prince whose arrogant, totally unsympathetic attitude was anything but seductive. It took me a long time to warm up to him at all. He's a guy who wears a mask pretty much 24/7, so the only way we get to see his true self is through the letters he writes to his uncle Vasile. The letters are funny, charming, smart, and because he's writing to an equal/superior, his ego is less dominant. So I started to like Lucius because of his letters, especially because it's mostly through the letters that we see him grow and change.

Once I realized that Lucius was going to evolve, and improve, as a romantic lead, I got really into the book. Really, the story only makes sense because Lucius is such a jerk at the beginning - otherwise, why would Jessica want to turn down a handsome, wealthy vampire prince offering marriage and a glittering, glamorous future?

And then the book takes a pretty dramatic turn. I want to avoid spoilers, so that's all I can say. Like I said, it took me (and Jessica) a long time to warm up to Lucius. Around the halfway point, we'd both been convinced. Jessica was ready to believe he's a real vampire and consider his offer of marriage; and I was ready to root for him. And just as that happens, the whole game changes. To make a long story short, Lucius starts acting like a jerk again. An even bigger jerk than before. Because we still get to read his letters, we know what he's up to, but frankly, I didn't care. I'd just BARELY started to like the guy, and I don't think his good intentions were enough to justify some of the nasty things he did.

Basically, what it comes down to is for the first, say, 30% of the book Lucius is a jerk; and then for the next 30% we get to really like him, and then for the final 30% of the book he is - at a minimum - ACTING like a jerk again. Well, that means that for 60% - two-thirds! - of the book, the romantic lead is a jerk, unworthy of his protagonist.

Jessica is pretty charming throughout; she's just a sensible, likable high-school girl. Like in a lot of teen vampire romances (ahem, Twilight, ahem), she has a choice between two hunky guys: dark, dangerous Lucius and sweet, uncomplicated Jake. Frankly, I didn't think either was the right guy for her. Lucius tries to convince Jessica that it's a choice between a boy and a man, or between a sweet romance and a passionate one. I think the right guy for Jessica would be more of an equal (it takes Lucius a long time to believe Jessica is his equal, and I don't think that he ever really acts like it) and he'd know that there's room for some sweetness in a passionate romance. The right guy would be somewhere in between Jake and Lucius - and unfortunately, he's not in the book. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
"Jessica evolves nicely with each new shocking revelation, becoming, over the course of the novel, intriguing and strong protagonist...romance buffs will find the ultimate pairing of Lucius and Jessica absolutely irresistible, and it's downright swoonworthy once their elaborate courting ritual begins in earnest."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe Bulletin

"This first novel quickly bursts ahead of the pack of Twilight wannabes...The romance sizzles, the plot develops ingeniously and suspensefully, and the satire stings."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublisher's Weekly, starred review

For my parents, Donald and Marjorie Fantaskey
The first time I saw him, a heavy, gray fog clung to the cornfields, tails of mist slithering between the dying stalks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152063846, Hardcover)

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:59 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Jessica, adopted and raised in Pennsylvania, learns that she is descended from a royal line of Romanian vampires and that she is betrothed to a vampire prince, who poses as a foreign exchange student while courting her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible