Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

Any Given Doomsday

by Lori Handeland

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Bookshop_Lady, skauternator, enrique_molinero)
    Bookshop_Lady: Fans of Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" urban fantasy series will enjoy Lori Handeland's new series which begins in Nov. 2008 with "Any Given Doomsday." Just be aware that there is much more sex in "Doomsday," and it's far more graphic than any Jim Butcher has given us.… (more)
    Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (kd9)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Jacey25)
    Jacey25: This is one of the better places to start a journey into urban fantasy and paranormal romance- the series has all kinds of denziens who all feel like real "people".
    Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (TheLibraryhag)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (TheLibraryhag)
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (SunnySD, enrique_molinero)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Aerulan, Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Moon Called has a little more in the fantasy department and a little less in the "bedroom scene" department which might appeal to some.
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (infiniteletters)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (TheLibraryhag)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (cwmast, octopedingenue)
    Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: Fans of Terry Brooks' "Word and the Void" trilogy will find in "Any Given Doomsday" another world with an upcoming showdown between good and evil, and a psychic ex-cop who has unexpectedly come into new powers that she must learn to control and use in order to prevent the end of the world. "Doomsday" is the first of a new urban fantasy series.… (more)
    Reading the Romance: Women, Patriarchy, and Popular Literature by Janice A. Radway (Alixtii)
    Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton (MyriadBooks)
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (Alixtii)

gritty ( )
  Janicemo | Jul 10, 2016 |
I like the premise of this book, and it's my first read from this author. It's a typical urban fantasy good vs. evil trope, with a few twists here and there. Our heroine, Liz, has come into evil-fighting powers unexpectedly and we are following along as she learns how to unlock her various abilities. I liked Liz, she was a no nonsense former cop who isn't afraid to get down and dirty fighting the demons. However what I did NOT like was her hang up on Jimmy, the first love who cheated on her. Actually, it could be that I just didn't like Jimmy at all, so any hang up on him was gonna grate on my nerves.

There is somewhat of a love triangle, and for some reason I never like the guy who seems to be the "winner" of the triangle. I am always rooting for the underdog who, in this case, is Sawyer. I loved him! He is my favorite character. A broody damaged male with mommy and daddy issues who has lived for eons but never loved anyone. Oh yeah, and he's smokin' hot and lethal and has tattoos. What's not to like? So I am Team Sawyer all the way here and I just want Liz to hole up with him in New Mexico and make out like bunnies, or snakes or whatever they feel like walking into. My favorite aspect was that they were the only two in the world with that ability.

Overall I think this is a good start to the series. I will keep reading, but Jimmy needs to shape up or ship out, and Liz needs to know when to cut her losses. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 3 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | May 28, 2016 |

Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
What to say? It did not work for me and I started skimming...a lot. I just never connected to the world or the characters. In UF that is important for me. For some reason I can read PNR and feel eh, but UF, no!

Stuff happened, the heroine did things , yawn. Honestly it failed for me. The reason is connection and that I just do not care or have anything more to say. It had promise, just not for me ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
A nice start to a new series, glad I finally got around to reading it! I didn't think I had the ARC sitting around for two years, but its finally read. I'll have the library send me the rest of the series. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Handeland looks to have another winner of a series on her hands!

On the day my old life died, the air smelled of spring-time--budding trees and just-born flowers, fresh grass and hope.
"I had a dream."

"You and Dr. King," he muttered. "Bet they weren't the same."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312949197, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Phoenix once used her unique skills as a psychic to help in the Milwaukee Police Department’s fight against injustice. But when Liz’s foster mother is found viciously murdered—and Liz is discovered unconscious at the scene—her only memory of the crime comes in the form of terrifying dreams...of creatures more horrific than anything Liz has seen in real life. What do these visions mean? And what in the world do they have to do with her former lover, Jimmy Sanducci?

While the police question Jimmy in the murder, Jimmy opens Liz’s eyes to a supernatural war that has raged since the dawn of time in which innocent people are hunted by malevolent beings disguised as humans. Only a chosen few have the ability to fight their evil, and Jimmy believes Liz is among them. Now, with her senses heightened, new feelings are rising within Liz—ones that re-ignite her dangerous attraction to Jimmy. But Jimmy has a secret that will rock Liz to her core…and put the survival of the human race in peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

Finding her beloved foster mother Ruth brutally murdered in her kitchen, psychic Liz Phoenix begins to experience terrifying visions of horrific creatures, dreams that may be linked to her former lover, Jimmy Sanducci, who reveals to her the truth about a supernatural war that has raged since the dawn of time and of her role as a warrior in that battle.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible