Flora's Dare: How a Girl of Spirit…

Flora's Dare: How a Girl of Spirit Gambles All to Expand Her…

by Ysabeau S. Wilce

The book starts shortly after [b:Flora Segunda|229033|Flora Segunda Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog (Flora Trilogy, Book 1)|Ysabeau S. Wilce|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172891622s/229033.jpg|2356884] ends, and the repurcussions of that adventure are still being sorted out. Through Flora's intervention, Poppy has managed to pull himself out of madness and a drunken stupor and insists on strict military rules for Crackpot Hall. Meanwhile, Flora's perfect older sister Idden has deserted the military and is running wild with a group of revolutionaries. And worst of all, Flora's best friend, the beautiful and vain Udo, has fallen in with a bad crowd. (Wilce does probably the best job I have ever seen of creating fictional sub-cultures.) But Flora can't deal with any of these problems, because Califa's earthquakes are ever worsening, and according to Lord Axacaya, she is the only one who can stop them.

This is a really fantastic book. I recommend it to anyone who loved Harry Potter but wished the characters did a bit more research, or who loved Jonathan Strange&Mr. Norell but wished for more adventure. The world building, word-play, character arcs--all are absolutely fabulous. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I remembered this book being a letdown after Flora Segunda... But for the life of me I don't know why. This time around it was AMAZING.

Such a fun, crazy, wild adventure. I'm still in love with Flora. She has to be one of my all-time favorite main characters. And the messes she gets into! Every little subplot of Flora's Dare is interesting and well thought out, from Zu-Zu to Springheel Jack to all the tiny problems that end up parts of the one big problem.

I also adore the world of Califa. It's so intricate and so complete. It's one of those worlds that I would just die to visit. The places, the people, the types of people, the magick, the army, the clothes, the cliques, the Butlers... everything about it. I would seriously read a guidebook of Califa.

This book has everything, and all of it's done well. Underwater terrors, time travel, symbiotic villains, traitorous gentlemen, magickal mishaps, cliche plot twists that totally work anyway. Everyone should read these books. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 7, 2014 |
Watch out this review contains spoilers. This book is definitely a worthy sequel to Flora Segunda. It is jam-packed with even more adventure than the first, and there is the shock at the end in learning that Tiny Doom, or the Butcher, is in fact Flora's mother. It is nice to see Udo and Flora come together in the end (though the next book messes that up :( ) A very good book. ( )
  rbernard907 | Mar 1, 2013 |
I believe this is the second book in a series, I have not read the first one (yet), but I plan to. I loved this book, it was sweet, fun and funny. I picked it up because it won the Andre Norton award in 2008. I can't wait to read Flora Segunda, even if I accidentally read them out of order. ( )
  callmecayce | Mar 10, 2012 |
Sequel to the superb 'Flora Segunda', which more than lives up to its predecessor. Now that the world-building’s out of the way, we’re free to concentrate on the plot: a whirlwind ride through the streets of Califa as Flora tries to pursue her dream of being a Ranger, find a Gramatica teacher, deal with the fallout of her sidekick Udo’s latest and most disastrous money-making scheme, come to terms with her saintly sister Idden’s desertion from the Califa military, fight off many-tentacled monsters in the lavatory, fumble her way through the many-more-tentacled monster of Califa politics, stop a series of earthquakes that threaten to drown the entire coastline, and find a pair of stays that she can run in. Along the way she learns a lot of things she never knew before: mostly, that everything she thought she knew is part of an elaborate political cover-up. And, it turns out, that even she herself isn’t quite what, or who, she thought …

If Flora’s Dare has a fault, it’s that it follows the structure of the first book too closely, with another trip back into time, another encounter with an important person from her past, and another not-too-surprising betrayal. (If Flora herself has a fault, it’s that, despite the world she lives in, she can be too naïve and trusting.) Fortunately, this time around, she has more than adequate back-up in the form of her father, Poppy, now stone-cold sober, utterly ruthless, and utterly wonderful.

As is the book – the ‘wonderful’ bit, at least. I very much hope that there’ll be a third title in the series. More, if possible. ( )
  phoebesmum | Jul 14, 2011 |
For Jam, my favorite kind.
1. Do not trust banished Butlers who promise they will do your chores but are actually tricking you into giving them all your Will so that you start fading into Nothing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152054278, Hardcover)

Flora Fyrdraaca wants nothing more than to be a ranger, and for that she must master the magickal—and dangerous—language of Gramatica. But before she can find the ideal teacher, her aspirations are put to the test. Would a true ranger be intimidated by a tentacle that reaches for her from the depths of a toilet? Be daunted by her best friend’s transformation into a notorious outlaw, thanks to a pair of sparkly stolen boots? Be cowed by the revelation that only she can rescue the city of Califa from the violent earthquakes that threaten its survival?
            Never. Saving her city and her best friend are the least a Girl of Spirit can do—yet what Flora doesn’t expect are the life-altering revelations she learns about her family and herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:59 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Flora Fyrdraaca fights a giant sea creature, rescues her best friend from a mass murderer, and more, all while lamenting her father's newly strict enforcement of household rules now that he is no longer drinking.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible