dismiss

Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman

Skinwalkers (1986)

by Tony Hillerman

The Navajo Tribal Police investigate the murder of a medicine man. At the crime scene is a partially completed pictograph. One clue sends a chill through a young officer: the arrow used in the killing has a tip of human bone, a sign that a Navajo spirit - a "skinwalker"--Is at work.

English (26)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
1st with Leaphorn and Chee together
  ritaer | Apr 12, 2020 |
2019 reread via audiobook narrated by George Guidall, borrowed from RBDigitial

First book in this series with both Chee and Leaphorn. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
The idea of 'skinwalkers' (witches, Navajo witchcraft) was a weird theme for me. Other Hillerman novels touch on the existence but in this story, the premise seemed weak and the plot wasn't very engaging. However, I love the landscape descriptions, and the Jim Chee view of tradition and harmony, so well worth reading. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 21, 2018 |
Although this is book 7 in the series, this is the first novel in which Joe Leatherhorn and Jim Chee actually work together. Fascinating series. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 27, 2018 |
The seventh entry in a mystery series that follows either Joe Leaphorn or Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police (in this book, the two appear together for the first time). I enjoy these books because I always learn a lot about the Navajo and their culture, while also getting a decent mystery. Here, a series of seemingly unconnected homicides turn out to be very much related, and Chee himself is a target. ( )
1 vote rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
We Navajo understand Coyote is always waiting out there, just out of sight. And Coyote is always hungry.
--Alex Etcitty, born to the Water Is Close People
This book is dedicated to Katy Goodwin, Ursula Wilson, Faye Bia Knoki, Bill Gloyd, Annie Kahn, Robert Bergman, and George Bock, and all the Medicine People, Navajo and belagana, who care for The People - and about them. My thanks to Dr. Albert Rizzoli for his kindness and his help, and a tip of my hat to the good work of the too often unappreciated Indian Health Service.
When the cat came through the little trapdoor at the bottom of the screen it made a clack-clack sound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,475,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible