Unspoken by Sam Hayes

Unspoken (2008)

by Sam Hayes

Great thriller with good twists and turns but the ending was bit far fetched apart from that good read ( )
  ilurvebooks | Dec 9, 2010 |
Meet Julie, her alcoholic husband Murray and her silent mother Mary. This thriller revolves around the search for the attacker of a local schoolgirl and was certainly one of those books that I wanted to keep reading. It was a joy to read as each chapter was told by the perspective of these three people and brought them and their story to life. I really enjoyed getting to the know the characters and really warmed to them all. It was good to see the black, the white and all the greys in between with the characterisation. I really enjoyed the warmth and emotion of the thriller as well as the story as I find many thrillers lacking in this area and to bring them together I find very satisfactory. I would definitely recommend this to those who enjoy a thriller, but enjoy the emotional side of life too! ( )
1 vote loopyloo100 | Dec 29, 2008 |
It would be unfair to suggest ‘Unspoken’ should remain exactly that: the story is a wannabe ‘literally thriller’ but succeeds only as an ‘emotional thriller’, without the thrills. Adequately written, but only heat magazine could dub it ‘a miss-your-bus stop page turner’

Julia Marshall has separated from her beloved but alcoholic lawyer husband Murray French: he moves back to his derelict houseboat while she and the children stay on the family farm after Julia’s mother Mary is inexplicably rendered dumb and almost vegetative.

A brutalized schoolgirl who later dies, kidnapping, romance and the re-emergence of long buried family secrets initially divide Julia and Murray even further, driving her into the arms of the charming local doctor.

Hayes careful prose and kitchen sink drama ( )
  adpaton | Nov 18, 2008 |
For me, the allure of Sam’s previous book, Blood Ties, was that just when you thought you knew where the story was going, Sam spun it around, and presented you with something different. The same is true of this story, but in a much more subtle way. Although the bulk of the story evolved the way I felt it would, Sam still surprised me with the details, motives etc.

Blood Ties had some good characters, but the pull was in the fast paced story. Unspoken was also a ‘page turner’ for me, but more because I was interested in the characters, and wanted to follow their journey. Sam explores a family dealing with seperation, a husband trying to survive alcoholism, as well as Mary’s secret past. In the midst of all this is Julia, trying to cope with her mother’s silence, her husband and the impending divorce, as well as her own children.

There are also some thought-provoking issues brought up, including part of the ending that I didn’t expect.
1 vote michelle_bcf | Jun 19, 2008 |
Für meinen Bruder Joe in Liebe
Als Kind lernt man, über einige Dinge nicht zu sprechen.

Mary Marshall would do anything for her daughter, Julia. However, Mary has a past Julia knows nothing about, and it's come back to haunt her. Julia Marshall stumbles upon the brutalised body of a girl she teaches, and soon the terrible present starts to shed light on her mother's past.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible