Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (376)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (378)
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the book because of it's writing, it's plot, and it's characters. The story was very well-written and very descriptive; I almost could see the settings that were described. For example, when describing the road to the town the author wrote "It wandered along in curves and easy angles, swayed off and up in a pleasant tangent to the top of the small hill, ambled down again between fringes of bee-hung clover..." This description along with many others made me love the story and the author's writing. The plot was fascinating; it was about eternal life and the consequences it involves. The story was a modern fantasy book, however it seemed realistic enough that I found myself almost believing it.The characters were another great part of the story; the author really developed the characters and made the reader love them in such a short time. One character, Winnie, was a young girl and the author did a phenomenal job of making you love her because of her actions; at one point Winnie sacrificed a lot in order to help somebody else succeed. These reasons and others made me really enjoy the story. However, I did not like that it was targeted at 4th-5th graders because the books theme and parts of the plot seemed too intense for these younger ages. There was a character who got murdered in the book and I'm not sure if I agree with this being in a book aimed at children. Also, while I enjoyed the plot of this book, it may be a little bit complicated for 4th-5th graders. If this book was aimed more towards a middle-school age group, it would be more appropriate. Altogether, my feelings are mixed on this book but I definitely enjoyed reading the book. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Aug 31, 2015 |
Interesting setup, but a bit moralistic in its message. ( )
  Audacity88 | Aug 28, 2015 |
FAN, immortal
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
A fantasy book set in both 1880 and 1950. The Tuck family discovers magical water that provides eternal life. They befriend a young girl named Winnie who falls in love with the Tuck family that she will do anything to save them. She also struggles with weather to drink the water or face life with death or eternal life. ( )
  StephanieFeist | Jul 21, 2015 |
I thought that this was a good book for multiple reasons. First, I really like the plot of the story. I like how the author of this book took something as plain as water and turned it into this magical world. I also like how the plot gets its readers questioning themselves. As I read this book, I kept wondering if I would take a drink from the water or not like Winnie. Second, I like how this book creates suspense in the beginning. Before we find out about the magical water, the author hints to the reader that something mysterious is going on which makes you want to keep reading. Third, I like how the author gives inanimate objects human like features. For example, it says, “The sun was just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence.” Lastly, I like how this book creates a lot of imagery. Since the setting takes places in a forest, there are any unique descriptions of what it looks likes such as, “endless, tangled vines; and here and there a fallen log, half rotted but soft with patches of sweet green-velvet grass.” I think the main idea in this book to see if you would do anything for love. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Jul 12, 2015 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,683,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible