Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (364)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (366)
Includes an interview with the author.
  Bookman1954 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I love this book and I think every child should read this book sometime between elementary school and high school. Every child has the idea that they never want to grow up, but sometimes that is not always the way to think. When students read this book, they will realize their dream of wanting to live forever and be young is silly. This makes the reader think about a challenging issue that they may be facing themselves. Students who like the fairy tale stories will enjoy the book because the Tuck and the main character who is a girl fall in love. Those who like the fantasy books will enjoy this because there is the fantasy of living forever and never growing old.

The language through the book is very simple and easy to understand. The paragraphs are not extremely long, so students will not feel intimidated when they see a chapter. For me, even when I was in 5th grade, this book was an easy read for me. The ideas in the book caught my attention and I was unable to put the book down. The words the author use are very descriptive and clear. Throughout the entire book, I could always picture what was happening. I always had a mental picture in my mind and this is a good skill for students to develop.

The characters in the book are also very relatable. Tuck, for example, is relatable because most children have the mindset of never wanting to grow. The girl is relatable because she questions her friend’s decisions. Many students have a friend whom they question about their decisions or actions. Students do not want to give into peer pressure. Tucker does this because he wants her to try the spring water.
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
Closing the gate on her oldest fears as she closed the gate of her own fenced yard, she discovered the wings she'd always wished she had. Page 45

It was a typical August week during the height of the summer heat that Winnie is kidnapped by a strange family that claim that they are immortal. Somewhere in the middle of the forest adjacent to Winnie's cottage is a little fountain hidden within the roots of an ancient tree that has the power to grant any who drink from it the ability to live forever. Winnie is confronted with the choice whether to believe this outrageous claim or not.

Tuck Everlasting is a quaint little story that deals with some large adult themes. The strengths of the book is the author's ability to make some very deep questions of life very accessible for a younger audience. Yet the strength of the novel also attributes to it's shortcomings. The story can be at times be a bit too simple and superficial. I felt like the plot and the characters could have been more fully fleshed out, but for its intended audience, the story can be an excellent platform for discussions and explorations. ( )
  jolerie | Dec 16, 2014 |
I am a romantic, admittedly and so I love this book. It offers students a lesson in love and in death, things that sometimes go together. It's rare when a book touches students on so many different levels but this one does and it is a captivating read. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 3, 2014 |
o Summary of content/review: This fictional novel describes young love and a confrontation with a life-changing choice. Winnie Foster’s childhood/adolescence, set in the Victorian era, is showing of the times.
o Evaluation: The major theme in this novel is coming-of-age. Winnie is faced with a life-changing decision that of which would affect every facet of her current position.
o Target audience: 4th-6th grades
o Connection to classroom: I would use this text when discussing theme of texts, specifically, coming-of-age. I would use this text as a mentor text.

CC Standards: RL.6.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is 2. conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.

Classification: Theme Bin 2: Coming of Age
  Nall0705 | Dec 1, 2014 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:35 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,652,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible