dismiss

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

11,151506416 (3.93)1 / 159
The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (HollyMS)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (499)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (503)
Lovely fable about a girl who stumbles across a family that can't die. All four members of the Tuck family have drunk from a magical spring in the nearby wood. Winnie is about to drink when she is snatched up by Ma Tuck and Jesse, her forever 17 year old son. Their kidnapping is witnessed by the evil "man in the yellow suit" who follows them as he has is own plans for the family and the spring. A fairly short story about the perils of living forever as everyone you know eventually dies and you are left alone. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 14, 2020 |
Not my thing. A girl stumbles across a family of 4 made unageing and immortal by a spring on her family's land. A bad man tries to take advantage of the situation. ( )
  quondame | May 30, 2020 |
Did I search through the editions to find one with enough pages to count as a ReMo book?
Yes, but the edition I actually read had 148 numbered pages so I don't feel bad.
I started this book ages back, didn't get beyond the first couple of chapters before deciding it was boring.
In some ways, I still think this book is boring. The ending is bitter sweet. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |
A lyrical, sad story.

This Special 25th Anniversary Edition includes an interview by Betsy Hearne with the author. What I remember most from it is: "He wears a yellow suit because I needed a two-syllable color and nobody wears purple. And the reason why he needs a two-syllable color is because I use that phrase over and over again---'the man in the yellow suit"---and it has to have a certain kind of music to it." (p. 146) ( )
  raizel | May 4, 2020 |
A unique idea, but a bit preachy. The first half was a slog, takes a while to get going. ( )
  Apstahl | Apr 30, 2020 |

Babbitt, NatalieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maguire, GregoryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,996,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible