Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (404)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (406)
I think this a really classic story. I would use this for an older class, such as 7th or 8th grade due to some of the themes in the book. Eg. Murder, intense love, immortality. I think this book would appeal to both gender's due to the setting and lifestyle of the characters for the boys, but also the love story and romance for the girls at this age. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 28, 2016 |
First published a little more than forty years ago, Natalie Babbitt's Tuck Everlasting is a classic of modern children's literature, one which engrosses the reader wholly and (I suspect) haunts them long afterward. Opening in the first week of August - described in the opening passage as hanging "at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year" - it concerns the adventures of ten-year-old Winifred Foster, who meets the immortal Tuck family and, in an astonishing three days of knowing them, is awakened to complex questions about the nature of life and time, and the joy and grief of making choices. Having drunk from a spring which grants eternal life, the Tucks have been wandering for more than eighty years, returning every once in a while to the spring - now located in a wood belonging to Winnie's family - that began it all. Determined to protect the secret, the Tucks must take Winnie into their confidence when she discovers the spring, hoping to convince her that it would be a disaster if the world discovered its waters. But as these events unfold, a sinister man in a yellow suit is pursuing the Tucks, and their secret, determined to profit from the spring, and to enact his own vision of eternal life...

A book I have long meant to read - I've owned a copy for over a decade - Tuck Everlasting is a story that a wish I had read first as a child, not because I failed to appreciate it now, as an adult - indeed, it is the sort of book that rewards readers of all ages, simple enough for those looking for an engaging story, complex enough for those interested in more philosophical questions - but because I suspect it would have been a great favorite, read and reread many times over the years. I regret the missed opportunity of having grown up with this story, but then, as is amply demonstrated in Babbitt's narrative, all choices have consequences. The language here is beautiful, richly descriptive and immensely evocative, and the story thought-provoking. The idea of time as a wheel, something which 'book-ends' the story, is fascinating, as is the overall premise that everlasting life is not entirely a blessing. I was struck, upon finishing the story, by how different the perspective offered here is, compared to the ubiquitous vampire-romance novels that depict joining loved ones in eternal life as self-evidently desirable. This is just a lovely, lovely story, one I will be pondering for some time. I am glad to have finally read it - prompted by the fact that I will shortly be attending the musical production made from it, here in New York - and hope to read more of the author's work. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2016 |
I really like how this story is both action- driven and delicately, thoughtfully told through the perspectives of complex characters. I love Winnie and Jesse. In fact the whole Tuck family is really kind. Babbit's writing is exceptional. "The sweet earth opened up its wide four corners to her like the petals of a flower ready to be picked, and it shimmered with light and possibility till she was dizzy with it" (p.45). I really appreciate the decisions Winnie makes at the end and the lessons this story teaches. ( )
  CALammert | Apr 23, 2016 |
This is an absolutely beautiful piece of literature. The story takes you through a world of fantasy of being immortal and never ending life. When he is taken out of her comfort zone and meets the Tucks where her life really begins. I would recommend this book to every young reader. ( )
  CrystalBrooks | Apr 16, 2016 |
While I found it an interesting read, it lacked a depth in the characters that I had so hoped for. I think it would be a good read for upper elementary or middle school. ( )
  catherineparry | Apr 14, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible