Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

10,195493422 (3.94)1 / 154
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (HollyMS)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (489)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (493)
I am bothered by the plot device which requires violence/murder to make it work. There were reversed expectations. Deception of adults by a child in the cause of justice, the gift of living forever declined and yet she bestows it on a frog. (Is this bad for the frog?)It all felt cleverly contrived. I'm not a fan. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
A total masterpiece. This book made me think about the question of which every one of us wants to know the answer - is it that good to live forever? I love the way the writer insists on telling both the positive and negative sides of leaving forever and staying forever young.. I know I won't stop thinking about this book in a while. ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
I liked this book and to use it as a read aloud with a discussion at the end. Would you like to live forever? Why? Why not? It also might be compared with "Twilight" in that the vampires live forever as well. I like that it is written in the past when life was simple. ( )
  mandieh | Jan 17, 2019 |
It was ok, I have been pretending that I was going to read this book for years so I figured this would be a good time. I liked it enough to finish it, but I don't know if I'd recomend it to anyone. A nice idea though. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Tuck Everlasting is the story of the Tuck family that drank from a spring in the woods and now they can never die. Even if they get injured, they cannot be killed. They have hidden for the last 83 years because they do not age - they are eternally the age they were when they drank from the spring in the woods. They meet a young girl named Winnie Foster who wanders into the part of the woods where the spring is located. Sitting there is Jesse Tuck. She sees what he is doing and asks about the spring. He tells her she must never drink from it, but when she presses, he takes her to his home to explain their secret. She does not believe them at first, but as she gets to know them, she finds that they are telling the truth. Trouble comes when a stranger witnesses what happened at the spring and wants to profit off the water that makes a person immortal.

This book was really short. It was decent. I didn't like the ending one bit - wasn't expecting it. The writing wasn't that great - very basic. But it is for 10-14 year olds, so I guess I shouldn't expect a lot. And I shouldn't judge too harshly because I cannot write a book.

Winnie is only 10 in this book. The youngest Tuck is 17. (well, really 104, but you know what I am getting at). After knowing Winnie for 1 day, he brings her a jar of the spring water, and tells her that when she is 17 she should drink it and then they could get married and be together forever. Uh....really? This got turned into a movie by Disney. Not surprising - that kind of love story is right up their ally. A day. And she loves this family and puts herself in danger for them after knowing them for a few days as well. I have a 10 year old. She would not be this trusting after 1 day - I am sure of it.

I also think that the book could have been longer and they could have stretched the story out more than a few days. There wasn't enough time for character development and for you to really "pull" for one character or another in a 130 page book.

If you are a young kid - this is a cute book. I say give it a try. I will be anxious to see how the musical does on Broadway ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |

Babbitt, NatalieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maguire, GregoryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,745,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible