Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (1975)

by Natalie Babbitt

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (361)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (363)
I am a romantic, admittedly and so I love this book. It offers students a lesson in love and in death, things that sometimes go together. It's rare when a book touches students on so many different levels but this one does and it is a captivating read. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 3, 2014 |
o Summary of content/review: This fictional novel describes young love and a confrontation with a life-changing choice. Winnie Foster’s childhood/adolescence, set in the Victorian era, is showing of the times.
o Evaluation: The major theme in this novel is coming-of-age. Winnie is faced with a life-changing decision that of which would affect every facet of her current position.
o Target audience: 4th-6th grades
o Connection to classroom: I would use this text when discussing theme of texts, specifically, coming-of-age. I would use this text as a mentor text.

CC Standards: RL.6.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is 2. conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.

Classification: Theme Bin 2: Coming of Age
  Nall0705 | Dec 1, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book for several reasons. I feel this way mainly because of the plot within the story, as well as how the context pushes readers to think about the value of life. A little girl named, Winnie, feels that she is too sheltered from the world around her. In hopes of exploring life outside of her family’s picket fenced in yard, she escapes to a forest. In the forest, she stumbles into the Tuck family, who have the magic ability of immortality. With each new chapter, more suspense is brought into the plot. In the story, Winnie is faced with the decision of mortality or immortality. The boy, with whom Winnie falls in love with, offers her the chance to become immortal. Readers are pushed to think about whether they would rather live-forever, or experience the cycle of life. Life is often taken for granite, and this story makes readers think twice about that. The main idea within the story is the great cycle of life. The author wants to inform readers that death is as much a part of life as living is. ( )
  KimKolb | Nov 28, 2014 |
I've heard so many good things about this book prior to even reading. I know it was made into a movie, but I have yet to see that either. I think the author wrote this book to give another perspective onto a common fantasy topic, immortality. Many authors discuss the benefits of being immortal and not aging, yet few decide to look at the drawbacks of such a gift. The author uses this story to explain how this incredible gift can also be a curse. I also think that through his writing, the author attempted to express the value of life to the reader. This is a lesson that all readers, no matter the age, need to learn.
One of my favorite things about this book was beginning and the of the story, how they are almost a reflection of each other. In the story, Winnie runs away from home, expressing how tired she is of her family. She meets a boy named Jesse who is drinking from a spring. She attempts to drink from the spring, yet Jesse refuses to let her. The spring water contains the power of immortality. At the end of the story, Jesse bottles the spring water and gives it to Winnie to drink. However, after much consideration, she elects not to drink the water, pouring it out on a nearby toad. Literally the beginning and the end of Winnie and Jesse's meeting are the exact polar opposite, with Winnie wanting to drink the water and Jesse refusing at the beginning, and Jesse offering the water to Winnie at the end, only for her to refuse it.
I love the authors topic to write about, immortality. I feel that with a such a popular topic, it allows the reader the range to explore both the pros and cons to this gift. Readers of all ages can relate to the topic because of the way the author explores it through the development of characters. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has yet to read it. I look forward to the day that I can watch this movie! ( )
  Andrewturner | Nov 19, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I really liked how the story makes readers think about what it would be like to live forever. It sounds like a good thing at first, but after thinking about it, it is something a lot of people might actually not want. When I first started reading this book I was actually pretty bored with it. The first few pages were a little confusing, and not much was happening. The character was just walking through the woods and talking about an old house. I like books with a little more action in the beginning to get me hooked. However, the whole story was very good, and I'm glad I continued to read it. The main message of this story is to enjoy your life now, and that living forever would actually not be very pleasant. ( )
  HeatherBallard | Nov 16, 2014 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:35 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible