Tuck Everlasting (A Sunburst book) by…

Tuck Everlasting (A Sunburst book) (original 1975; edition 1985)

by Natalie Babbitt

10,707495418 (3.94)1 / 156
The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.
Member:webaugur
Title:Tuck Everlasting (A Sunburst book)
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (1985), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Home Library, Your library
Tags:Science Fiction

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (Author) (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (HollyMS)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (491)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (495)
Beautiful book. The imagery and writing was just lovely. I loved reading it out loud for the kids and me to imagine the story in our minds. The author is really gifted in describing the setting and characters very well. It was magical to me and I think the kids as we felt transported to the time of the story.

I'd give this 4 1/2 stars. The thoughts of immortality is seen kind of in a negative view, I think. You find yourself asking what would you would do? Would you drink the water? And you can see what it would be like if those you love around you age and die and you don't. It's interesting and thought provoking. I guess it depends with where immortality lies with the Lord and His kingdom or this broken world. ( )
  Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
“Rarely does one find a book with such prose. Flawless in both style and structure, it is rich in imagery and punctuated with light fillips of humor.” ―The Horn Book Magazine
  saragv | Nov 22, 2019 |
4.5 Stars“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.”

I don't know if it can count as a reread if I don't really remember much of it from the first time. What I do remember is that Tuck Everlasting is one of the earliest books I remember reading on my own. It's such a magical world that feels new, big, and full of promise. The book puts you at ease, yet somehow you're excited for this grand new adventure. It's just such a wonderfully moving and surprisingly thought provoking book for being a children's story. The story really leaves your at peace and this yearning to live a full life. Such a bittersweet feel-good story that's perfect to pick up in one sitting. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
I am bothered by the plot device which requires violence/murder to make it work. There were reversed expectations. Deception of adults by a child in the cause of justice, the gift of living forever declined and yet she bestows it on a frog. (Is this bad for the frog?)It all felt cleverly contrived. I'm not a fan. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
A total masterpiece. This book made me think about the question of which every one of us wants to know the answer - is it that good to live forever? I love the way the writer insists on telling both the positive and negative sides of leaving forever and staying forever young.. I know I won't stop thinking about this book in a while. ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |

Babbitt, NatalieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maguire, GregoryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,821,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible