Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (374)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (376)
A fantasy book set in both 1880 and 1950. The Tuck family discovers magical water that provides eternal life. They befriend a young girl named Winnie who falls in love with the Tuck family that she will do anything to save them. She also struggles with weather to drink the water or face life with death or eternal life. ( )
  StephanieFeist | Jul 21, 2015 |
I thought that this was a good book for multiple reasons. First, I really like the plot of the story. I like how the author of this book took something as plain as water and turned it into this magical world. I also like how the plot gets its readers questioning themselves. As I read this book, I kept wondering if I would take a drink from the water or not like Winnie. Second, I like how this book creates suspense in the beginning. Before we find out about the magical water, the author hints to the reader that something mysterious is going on which makes you want to keep reading. Third, I like how the author gives inanimate objects human like features. For example, it says, “The sun was just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence.” Lastly, I like how this book creates a lot of imagery. Since the setting takes places in a forest, there are any unique descriptions of what it looks likes such as, “endless, tangled vines; and here and there a fallen log, half rotted but soft with patches of sweet green-velvet grass.” I think the main idea in this book to see if you would do anything for love. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Jul 12, 2015 |
This book is probably one of my favorite reads of all time! I am a big fan of reading stories that are also movies and relating the two to see how well the director and cast did in achieving the same senses the author does when reading. This particular story keeps the reader guessing the entire time and throws in twists and turns the reader would have never saw coming. It is a true lesson in just how unpredictable life can be and how influential those around us can be on who we are and who we become. This book tackles the debate of being able to live forever and the hardships that come with just that. It makes the reader question what they would do in the same situation. It brings new light on the topic of living each day to the fullest. ( )
  lriver5 | May 14, 2015 |
What if you could live forever? Well, in Tuck Everlasting, that is the big question. The Tuck family tries to live as normally and inconspicuously as possible while hiding their very big secret. They are cursed, or blessed, with living at one age for all of eternity. One day, ten-year-old Winnie Foster discovers the Tuck family's secret. They take her home and explain to her the consequences of living at one age forever. However, Winnie was followed by a man who wants to turn the stream water into profit for himself. Winnie must find a way to keep the Tuck's secret while preventing the man form profiting off the stream water. ( )
  zfrid | May 12, 2015 |
Tuck Everlasting was a book about a young girl who learns of a family who drank from a spring and became immortal, and she had the opportunity to decide whether she wanted to become immortal and never grow old, and had to choose whether or not she would tell their secret to anyone. This story gives the reader an inside to the benefits of being immortal-as the Tuck's see it. But the main problem is that someone else found out about the water and wants to sell it. I liked this book for two main reasons. The first reason was because the plot of the story was very interesting. What if we actually could live forever? This book had me pondering whether I would actually want to live forever and if so, what would I do? It also had me thinking about what I should do within my lifetime because immortality is impossible. I think books that get the reader thinking are great because it gave me more of a purpose to read and see what the characters thought about the situation. The second reason I liked this book was because it related to modern day as well. There is always someone looking for a profit. The evil man in the story wanted to sell the water and become rich. Even though this story was modern fantasy, and violates natural laws of our world, I believe it is great that this story showed some realism as well. I think the overall big idea/message of this story was to think about what we have and be grateful. Sometimes we wish for things and suddenly it's right there for us to have, but is it always what we always wanted? ( )
  JeNeeH | May 5, 2015 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible