Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (407)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (409)
Wonderfully bittersweet. I was touched at the clarity with which Winnie narrated. She may have been a bit older than 10 in her style, and ultimately the author's style, but there are those precocious children.

I found myself wondering where in the world this wood was, and settled for America or England. Pretty good for a stab in the dark. This is a tinge serious for a children's book, but I think it's purity rings true. Much more novel-like would have been if Winnie were older...

The ending is sad, and children may be affected by it. I know I was. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
My all-time favorite book! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Read again after a couple decades, for GR's GMGR group.  Wow.  Worth a reread for sure.  The themes are wonderful, of course, but the writing is even more lovely than I realized. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I think this a really classic story. I would use this for an older class, such as 7th or 8th grade due to some of the themes in the book. Eg. Murder, intense love, immortality. I think this book would appeal to both gender's due to the setting and lifestyle of the characters for the boys, but also the love story and romance for the girls at this age. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 28, 2016 |
First published a little more than forty years ago, Natalie Babbitt's Tuck Everlasting is a classic of modern children's literature, one which engrosses the reader wholly and (I suspect) haunts them long afterward. Opening in the first week of August - described in the opening passage as hanging "at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year" - it concerns the adventures of ten-year-old Winifred Foster, who meets the immortal Tuck family and, in an astonishing three days of knowing them, is awakened to complex questions about the nature of life and time, and the joy and grief of making choices. Having drunk from a spring which grants eternal life, the Tucks have been wandering for more than eighty years, returning every once in a while to the spring - now located in a wood belonging to Winnie's family - that began it all. Determined to protect the secret, the Tucks must take Winnie into their confidence when she discovers the spring, hoping to convince her that it would be a disaster if the world discovered its waters. But as these events unfold, a sinister man in a yellow suit is pursuing the Tucks, and their secret, determined to profit from the spring, and to enact his own vision of eternal life...

A book I have long meant to read - I've owned a copy for over a decade - Tuck Everlasting is a story that a wish I had read first as a child, not because I failed to appreciate it now, as an adult - indeed, it is the sort of book that rewards readers of all ages, simple enough for those looking for an engaging story, complex enough for those interested in more philosophical questions - but because I suspect it would have been a great favorite, read and reread many times over the years. I regret the missed opportunity of having grown up with this story, but then, as is amply demonstrated in Babbitt's narrative, all choices have consequences. The language here is beautiful, richly descriptive and immensely evocative, and the story thought-provoking. The idea of time as a wheel, something which 'book-ends' the story, is fascinating, as is the overall premise that everlasting life is not entirely a blessing. I was struck, upon finishing the story, by how different the perspective offered here is, compared to the ubiquitous vampire-romance novels that depict joining loved ones in eternal life as self-evidently desirable. This is just a lovely, lovely story, one I will be pondering for some time. I am glad to have finally read it - prompted by the fact that I will shortly be attending the musical production made from it, here in New York - and hope to read more of the author's work. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,451,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible