Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (429)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (432)
This is a great book that will help to grab student’s attention and increase their love for reading. As the students read this book, they can practicing the making inferences as they come up with the main points of the story so far, putting ideas together, and question themselves about what may happen next.
  ChloeFukuda | Nov 28, 2016 |
This is a very thought-provoking and interesting book that causes readers to wrestle with the challenging themes of immortality vs. mortality and aging. The book follows the story of the young Winnie Foster who gets pulled into the drama of the Tuck family who will never die after accidentally drinking from a spring with water that makes one immortal. After a long struggle to hide the secret of the spring and being found out by "the man in the yellow suit" who represents all those who would seek to take advantage of achieving immortality, Winnie is faced herself with the choice of drinking from the water and choosing to live forever.

This would be a very powerful book to bring into a classroom but only once students are mature enough to handle the more difficult and abstract themes of immortality. I would choose to bring this book into my classroom around 4th grade at the earliest so that students are prepared to wrestle with the concept of death vs. never being able to die. Many profound discussions are possible from this story, and, through the guidance and scaffolding of the teacher, students will greatly benefit from the learning this book provides.

Awards:
Janusz Korczak Medal
1976 Christopher Award
ALA Notable Book
Horn Book Magazine Fanfare List

Award Descriptions:
Janusz Korczak Medal: given for outstanding contributions to the promotion of the rights of children in ways that encourage love for children, listening to children, fostering healthy children’s lives, and building capacities in children, in the spirit of Dr. Korczak.
1976 Christopher Award: established by Christopher founder Father James Keller to salute media that “affirm the highest values of the human spirit.” Award winners encourage audiences to see the better side of human nature and motivate artists and the general public to use their best instincts on behalf of others.
ALA Notable Book: Since 1944, the goal of the Notable Books Council has been to make available to the nation’s readers a list of 25 very good, very readable, and at times very important fiction, nonfiction, and poetry books for the adult reader.
Horn Book Magazine Fanfare List: Chosen annually by editors, Fanfare is The Horn Book Magazine’s selection of the best children’s and young adult books of the year.

APA Citation: Babbitt, N. (1975). Tuck everlasting. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux. ( )
  BrittaSchlect | Nov 24, 2016 |
Would you live forever if given the chance? Could you leave your family behind? What if a wicked person caught on to the secret and it was your fault. I wouldn't it be to much to give up. Dying itself is an adventure whether our beliefs differ from yours we're bond to end up somewhere. Will we be judged? maybe, will we be forgiven? Possibly. But whatever's out there let's find out. I couldn't stand living forever. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is an okay book. Tuck Everlasting is about a family, the Tuck family, who drank from a stream without knowing that it had magical water and they will now never age and live forever. The Tucks live in the woods that are a part of the Foster family's land. One day, Winnie Foster goes into the woods and finds the Tuck family. She spends a couple of days with the family while they explain to her their situation and make sure that she won't tell anyone. Winnie becomes very close to the Tuck family and loves them deeply. Winnie's family thinks that she has been lost and sends people out looking for her. One man who has been following the Tucks tells the Foster family that he knows where Winnie is and will go get her in trade for their land. The family agrees and the man goes to get Winnie, but the Tucks don't trust the man. He becomes very cruel and the mother of the Tuck family, Mae, hits the man on the head and kills him. There was a police officer that saw this happen and he arrests Mae and takes Winnie home. Winnie helps the rest of the Tuck family help Mae escape from jail and then the Tucks flee town and Winnie never sees them again. The Tucks told Winnie that when she's seventeen, the age of one of their sons, to drink the magic water and they'll all meet again one day. Winnie doesn't drink the water when she is seventeen and Jesse Tuck comes back about seventy years later to find that Winnie had dies two years prior. I think this was an okay book because it dragged on a lot. There were several times when I found the author repeating herself. She must have mentioned that the Tucks were the way they are twelve different times. Considering it wasn't a particularly long chapter book, twelve times was a little much. The character of Winnie Foster was believable because she was a normal girl, but the Tucks were not believable. I read this book with my 5th grade class and they didn't think the Tucks were believable too. I don't think the Tucks were believable because even though the sons would go away for ten years at a time so people wouldn't recognize them and notice that they were not aging, I don't understand how the parents could go that long without people noticing. Granted, they lived in the woods and didn't go into town very often, but I still don't understand. The main idea of this story is that you can form very close relationships with people even if you only know them for a short period of time. ( )
  ejones35 | Oct 31, 2016 |
I love this book. It has a very intense theme to it that may be difficult to understand to young readers so I would definitely gear it towards the upper grades. I did not read this book until I was in middle school, but I do think it could be read in 4th or 5th grade with some help. ( )
  Madima6781 | Oct 17, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,797,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible