Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (HollyMS)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (454)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (457)
Easy quick read. Nice innocent story. Until all the DEATH! For a story about an immortal family it defiantly takes a turn near the end. Jeeze.

I like the toad. He's pretty cool. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This book is about a girl that is an orphan that one day goes in the woods and soon finds a boy next to this water spring that will give everlasting life. This boy takes the girl to his house to meet his family that have all drank from the spring. The girl lives with the family struggling to be safe from the man in the yellow suit to take her back to the orphanage. The mom of the family hits the man in the man in the yellow suit, and goes to jail. They brake her out and escape from the town they live in and the girl eventually dies.

I like this book because it reminds me of my grandparents house in Stafford VA. I liked it there but there were so many trees and it reminds me of the book. ( )
  Jordanv.g1 | Jun 7, 2017 |
Winnie Foster discovered a spring on her family’s property. At the same time, she discovered a beautiful seventeen-year-old boy named Jesse Tuck. Winnie was very thirsty, but Jesse forbade her from drinking from the spring. He told her that drinking from the spring would make her live forever. After all, Jesse was actually 104 years old. Thus begins Winnie’s adventure with the Tuck family and her decision-making process as to whether or not everlasting life was a good thing.

This book is beautifully written, but it is very strange. As a matter of fact, it feels more like a fairy tale than a story. Sadly, I don’t understand why it is so popular. The character development is weak, and the plot was less than satisfying and is rather amateurish and very simple. There is not a lot to it. There were many other paths that I think that Babbitt could have taken with the subject, but the one she chose for this book did not work. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Jun 6, 2017 |
I would use this in a fourth or fifth grade classroom as an independent read because it is more of a mature book but will also be a good read for these students and they will have little difficulty with the text.
  tylerschmitt | May 3, 2017 |
This book asks a question, “Would you want to live forever?” but does not have an answer. It makes for a great book to read and discuss with your kids. It will challenge them to think critically. And it’s short so it’s easy for busy grown-ups to find time to read.

I liked that this book does not dumb down the language just because it’s a kid’s book. The prose is beautifully descriptive and there were some great vocabulary words. I read it with my son and we looked up the words he didn’t know as we went. It averaged one or two per chapter – not too burdensome. As Ms. Babbitt says in the interview in the back of the book,

“Some time during the last forty years, people have decided that children can’t understand any words that have more than four or five letters. That’s just plain crazy…There’s no other way to enlarge our vocabularies. The more words you have at your disposal, the easier it is to say what you want to say, specifically.”

This is a great book for middle graders when you’re looking for something a little more sophisticated than the Wimpy Kid books and that ilk for a change of pace. ( )
  mcelhra | Apr 25, 2017 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,250,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible