Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (408)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (411)

Originally posted here

A beautiful book following privileged ten year old Winnie Foster, as she inadvertently stumbles upon Jesse Tuck on her family's land drinking from a mysterious spring. Jesse panics and whisks away Winnie to spend some time with his immortal family, as they try to convince her to keep the spring a secret.

There was a lot of issues to ponder in this book which is impressive considering the story is less than 150 pages. The main question being, is immortality a blessing or a curse? Jesse Tuck seems to think of it as a blessing whilst the rest of his family seem to view it as a curse. I am of the view it would be a curse because:

First, it would be exhausting trying to hide it.

And second, what would happen if by some miracle one could live for thousands of years without detection and the human race (if it's still around) had evolved to look different?

Third, what if the planet was destroyed before technology allowed escape? Would people who are immortal just have to float aimlessly around in space forever?

And fourth, how many identities would an immortal person have to go through, always struggling to get the relevant paperwork? There is just no hiding immortality especially as the modern world moves on.

Fifth, what would happen if the government or some sort of organisation figured it out? How easy is it for someone now to live completely off the grid forever? So many questions! I would decline immortality, it would be fun for a few hundred years but forever is a long dang time and I just don't see how it could feasibly work out.

That was a long tangent! Needless to say I loved this book and the ending was just perfection. I think realising the absurdity of immortality, and how harmful it would truly be to an individual helps to better understand and accept death as part of the natural course of life. Tuck Everlasting is a brilliant children's book to inspire philosophical discussions, cannot recommend enough. ( )
  4everfanatical | Aug 19, 2016 |
Wonderfully bittersweet. I was touched at the clarity with which Winnie narrated. She may have been a bit older than 10 in her style, and ultimately the author's style, but there are those precocious children.

I found myself wondering where in the world this wood was, and settled for America or England. Pretty good for a stab in the dark. This is a tinge serious for a children's book, but I think it's purity rings true. Much more novel-like would have been if Winnie were older...

The ending is sad, and children may be affected by it. I know I was. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
My all-time favorite book! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Read again after a couple decades, for GR's GMGR group.  Wow.  Worth a reread for sure.  The themes are wonderful, of course, but the writing is even more lovely than I realized. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I think this a really classic story. I would use this for an older class, such as 7th or 8th grade due to some of the themes in the book. Eg. Murder, intense love, immortality. I think this book would appeal to both gender's due to the setting and lifestyle of the characters for the boys, but also the love story and romance for the girls at this age. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 28, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,395,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible