Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (356)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (358)
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first reason why I liked the book was because the plot was suspenseful. I wanted to keep turning the pages to figure out what was going to happen. I also had many questions that I wanted to find the answers to. For example, a girl named Winnie observed a boy, Jesse drinking from a mysterious spring that was under a tree. Jesse’s family appeared and decided to kidnap Winnie because she now knew about this special spring. I was unsure what was going to happen to Winnie? Was she ever going to be able to return home? What was so significant about this spring that Winnie had to be kidnapped for? The next reason why I liked the book was because of how it pushed me to think about a tough issue. Through reading the book I found out that the spring made the Tuck’s immortal due to all of them drinking from it. It became evident that their immortality was more of a curse than a blessing. The book made me ponder what would I do if I were Winnie, drink from the spring or not? Should everyone experience the circle of life and death or live forever? The main ideas from the book are mortality, choices, love, and friendship. ( )
  Germuth | Nov 14, 2014 |
I liked the book, Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt. The big idea in this story is a secret water spring that keeps people from aging. The author keeps the suspense of her audience by with- holding information about the man with the yellow suit. He seems mysterious and is unnamed. He appears spooky, “His tall body moved continuously; a foot tapped, a shoulder twitched. And it moved in angles, rather jerkily. But at the same time he had a kind of grace, like a well-handled marionette. Indeed, he seemed almost to hang suspended there in the twilight.” He also was described by the author as a creepy madman when he came to take Winnie from the Tucks, “His eyes were like blind fire points and his face was twisted.” The author also created a relationship between Winnie and Jesse that was a special one. Winnie seems immediately have a crush on Jesse, one the Tucks. She describes him, “he seemed so glorious to Winnie that she lost her heart at once.” When Winnie took Jesse’s hand to say hello, she thought, “He was even more beautiful in person.” ( )
  JenniferEckley | Nov 12, 2014 |
I liked rereading this book from my childhood. I love that this book is not a character driven or plot driven book. It is a book that the author wrote based around one question: do you choose life? This book constantly encourages the reader to think about what they would do, and provides a great mirroring and windowing opportunity. The reader can begin to imagine what it would be like to be everlasting. It also gives the reader the chance to understand that death is apart of the journey and to use the time you have not be wasteful. Another one of my favorite parts of this book is it pushes the reader to think about topics that are often not discussed. The book directly deals with immorality. The reader is forced to think to think about what it would mean to live forever, what they would do, how they would live their everlasting lives. The story is thought provoking and perfectly haunting. Finally, I liked the writing style from the author. The tone and language she uses in the book is enchanting. The reader can feel the sliver of realness blended effortlessly with the dreamed fantasies of many readers. The author is extremely descriptive. The streaks of light didn’t shine through, they “swam and danced and wavered like a bright mirage.” The writing is enough to allow the reader to really think that it just might happen. The big idea/message of this story is that time is a natural part of the life cycle and that some blessings are a curse in disguise. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Nov 11, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about reading Tuck Everlasting. I really liked how the author provided background information about a few of the characters. This allowed the reader to get to know a little bit more about them, and why they make the decisions they make. However, I didn’t like how drawn out the book was. For example, when the man in the yellow coat is leading the constable to find Winnie, it takes about 4 chapters. In those chapters are just endless conversations I believe had zero meaning to the story. The book would have been a lot better if those chapters would not have been there.
The main message of the book is to stick up for what you believe in and for the people you love. Just as Winnie did, she put herself in harm’s way to protect those she loved. ( )
  Jillian_Magee | Nov 9, 2014 |
“Tuck Everlasting” is a beautiful, short novel. I love that the story challenges the reader to consider the cycle of life, and how living forever, while it may seem appealing at first, would actually be heartbreaking. It gives a new perspective on death, one that is actually freeing and desirable after a long life. I also like how the author, Natalie Babbitt, wrote the story in very short chapters as opposed to one long section. The chapters helped make changes in scenery/plot flow effortlessly, and the story remained action-driven and interesting throughout. The message of the story is to enjoy the life you have now, because life does not last forever, and you shouldn’t want it to, because life is meant to be lived and then ended. Although death is often discussed as a morbid thing, it is the conclusion to a beautiful cycle that every living thing experiences. ( )
1 vote ElizabethHaaser | Nov 8, 2014 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:35 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,884,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible