Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (HollyMS)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (452)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (455)
I would use this in a fourth or fifth grade classroom as an independent read because it is more of a mature book but will also be a good read for these students and they will have little difficulty with the text.
  tylerschmitt | May 3, 2017 |
This book asks a question, “Would you want to live forever?” but does not have an answer. It makes for a great book to read and discuss with your kids. It will challenge them to think critically. And it’s short so it’s easy for busy grown-ups to find time to read.

I liked that this book does not dumb down the language just because it’s a kid’s book. The prose is beautifully descriptive and there were some great vocabulary words. I read it with my son and we looked up the words he didn’t know as we went. It averaged one or two per chapter – not too burdensome. As Ms. Babbitt says in the interview in the back of the book,

“Some time during the last forty years, people have decided that children can’t understand any words that have more than four or five letters. That’s just plain crazy…There’s no other way to enlarge our vocabularies. The more words you have at your disposal, the easier it is to say what you want to say, specifically.”

This is a great book for middle graders when you’re looking for something a little more sophisticated than the Wimpy Kid books and that ilk for a change of pace. ( )
  mcelhra | Apr 25, 2017 |
Winnie Foster is always locked up in her house. One day, she runs away and sees a tree which springs water. A young man, Jesse Tuck, is drinking from it. Winnie leans to drink, however he stops her. Jesse's brother and mother appear, and take Winnie with them. They tell her their biggest secret: the spring has the ability to give eternal life. Subsequently, Winnie learns about the circle of life, friendship and love. She falls in love with Jesse.

On the other side, a man in a yellow suit has been investigating them and wanted the spring so badly. He takes Winnie as a hostage so they can show him the spring. The mother of Jesse hit his head and he died. She is sent to gallows and escapes it thereafter. The Tucks bid farewell. Jesse left her a bottle of spring water to drink, and promised that he will come back for her.

The Tucks return to Treegap and discovered that Winnie had chosen life with death rather than life eternal as they found her headstone. The woods have been demolished and new buildings and roads have been built. They feel terribly sad and continue to travel.

I hate how this is being compared to Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
Winnie choose to be mortal whilst Bella choose to be immortal.
C'mon, a girl is smarter than a grown up woman. If someone would defend Bella for being in love, I will tell you that Winnie was also in love. She, however, choose to be mortal and live life as how it should be. If some may say that she is young and not in love, then I would ask how do you know if she is not? And if she was not in love, she still made the best decision. Why does a girl needs a guy to have a happy ending? The main point here is that you don't have to live forever, you just have to live. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I would use this as a read aloud to a 5th grade classroom. As I was reading, the class would keep a book journal for each chapter. At the beginning of each chapter I would write a question up on the board that students would need to be thinking about during the reading. At the end, I would let them finish and we would discuss it Socratic circle style. There would be questions such as "On page 64, Tuck tells Winnie, “You can’t have living without dying. So you can’t call it living, what we got. We just are, we just be, like rocks beside the road.” What do you think he means by this?" or "How do Jesse and Miles feel differently about immortality? Which one do you relate with more?" This way it gets the students thinking about the book and discussing their opinions. They could also make predictions for what would happen in the next chapter. I could also use this in a 4th grade classroom. I would use it as a read aloud. At the end of the book, the students would have to provide a summary of the beginning, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Students would then have to write a one page alternate ending where Winnie does drink the water that Jesse gave her.
  AleciaTomes | Apr 18, 2017 |
An 11 year old girl, Winnie Foster contemplates running away from home. She wants to experience some freedom and something new. She leaves her yard one day, not sure if she will run away or not. She enters the woods near her home where she finds a spring. Extremely thirsty, Winnie is about to drink from the spring when she meets a boy, Jesse Tuck. Jesse stops her from drinking it. The Tuck family has a secret and they panic because they feel they must now tell Winnie. They take Winnie to their home and explain to her that ever since they drank from the spring many, many years ago, they haven't aged at all. The Tuck family is now immortal. They each have different ideas on whether it is a blessing or a curse to live forever. They fear anyone finding out, because it could cause a lot of problems if others start drinking from it to live forever. Winnie becomes close to the Tucks, and must decide fore herself if she wants to drink from the spring and live forever, or live a normal life. This was a great book about life.
  chloeford | Apr 15, 2017 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible