Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (425)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (428)
I love this book. It has a very intense theme to it that may be difficult to understand to young readers so I would definitely gear it towards the upper grades. I did not read this book until I was in middle school, but I do think it could be read in 4th or 5th grade with some help. ( )
  Madima6781 | Oct 17, 2016 |
I would recommend that you use this particular book with older students (like older elementary/middle school students). For one, the book covers some deep themes like immortality, and throughout the story, the main character Winnie struggles constantly with internal conflict (should she risk losing her parents trust in order to help her friends, should she choose to drink from the fountain that could make her live forever). Even though the book has a main theme of mortality, there are also many examples of death in the book, which is another reason to use this book with older students. Additionally, the thought processes that the author walks Winnie through during her internal conflicts seem more relatable and better understood by older students.
  hannahpere | Oct 2, 2016 |
This book fits into the fantasy genre because of the idea of immortality that it is found in the book.
  KatieScudellari | Sep 30, 2016 |
This was a short enchanting read. The tone of this little novel was very gentle and atmospheric. Like you're in a little cocoon, surrounded by the sounds of nature. I love the simple writing style--actually, it was simple while also being philosophical and introspective, but in a subtle way. As for the plot itself, I found it fascinating.

A poorer family in small town Minnesota in what I'm guessing is the 20s or 30s? (get back to me on that) finds a magical pond which enables them to live forever and never age physically. They cannot get killed by fatal things. They meet a girl named Minnie, who happens upon the pond. The basic plot is them trying to prevent anyone to finding out and becoming like a family to Minnie.

It was interesting to see each of the family's perspective on this and their feelings about being immortal. The book leaves it up to you to decide whether you think it's a blessing or a curse. Me? I'm undecided. I believe someday their may be in an apocalypse--definitely not in my lifetime, or for quite a few I think--but would I really want to be immortal and run the risk of being alone, or at least, stuck with the same person for all eternity in a mostly empty ruined world? No matter how much I love my fiancee, never being exposed to other people--I am severely introverted...BUT. I do have a few friends. If I was unable to talk to them and all I had was my fiancee, I'll be honest when I say I think both of us would go nuts. I think anyone would. On the flip side, you can have years and years to learn and master everything you ever wanted, invest, save money, travel, never get sick, never get cancer, never grow old and possibly decrepit. That would be the hardest thing to choose. I love the idea of growing old with my partner, but I fear it too--what if, no matter how well I take care of myself I grow old and stop remembering my husband, or am stuck in a wheelchair until the day I die? Wouldn't you rather be young and healthy together forever?

anyway, enough of my rambling. The ending, without giving it away, surprised me and really did make me cry. It was a very very nice quiet thoughtful read in the wee hours of the morning. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Sep 29, 2016 |
Personally, I loved reading this book! Author, Natalie Babbit's choice of word usage really makes this come alive. The beginning of book was little slow, I love how Babbit is able to pick things up through her choice of words. Although the main character in the book is ten years old, I don't think this book would appropriate for elementary school-aged children. Unless, they are in a gifted classroom and are a little more mature than most 5th graders. This book deals with a lot of themes and hard life questions that I think would fly over their heads. Children who do read this will be hooked on descriptions of nature, and the Babbit does a beautiful job of allowing readers to create mental images of her text.
  mjmorr9390 | Sep 29, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,812,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible