Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting (original 1975; edition 2007)

by Natalie Babbitt

Member:KatherineC032
Title:Tuck Everlasting
Authors:Natalie Babbitt
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (1975)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (Hollerama)
    Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde (BrynDahlquis)
    Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Poppy by Avi (gilberts)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

English (395)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (397)
A brief summary:
Young Winnie Foster encounters a family in the woods located near her house. Winnie discovers that this family has an incredible secret - that they are immortal. The family, known as the Tucks, received immortality when they drank from a well on Winnie's family's property. The Tucks' secret causes them to stay in hiding, however, a man in a yellow suit intervenes and causes the Tucks' to fall into trouble. Following a series of events, Mae Tuck, the mother of the Tuck family, kills the man in the yellow suit after he threatens to make Winnie drink the water from the well. Mae Tuck is put in jail for killing the man in the yellow suit but Winnie and the Tucks are able to break her out. After this, the Tucks must run away and leave Winnie with the choice of drinking the water and receiving eternal life - a choice that will change her forever.

My personal reaction:
I like how this story causes the reader to ponder the realities of life and death. The reader is invited to put him/herself into the shoes of Winnie Foster and think about what he/she might do if given the choice to have eternal life. The story also invites to reader to weigh he difference between was is right and what is wrong. Among all of this, I enjoy how the story is written in a way that allows the reader to encounter the Tuck family and their perplexing life right along side Winnie Foster.

A couple of uses:
- Use as a choice for small book groups within a larger class. Instruct the students to form their own questions but also provide questions to facilitate discussion within the groups.
- Have students choose a scene and illustrate that scene based off of the descriptive imagery.

Genre:
This book qualifies as fantasy because it involves a well with the unrealistic ability to grant immortal life to those who drink from it.

Media:
Not included ( )
  Lucymae | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book broke my heart as a kid. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
What would you do if you had a chance to live forever? I think all of us would like to know what we would do if given the opportunity, which is why this book is so timeless and universal. Forever has a way of forcing you to appreciate what makes life worth living—and for the Tucks, it's the small, fleeting moments—the ones that don't last forever—that are the most important.

I first read this book when I was a kid, and Tuck's commentary on the pond that always looks the same but carries different water every day stuck with me. Change is an essential part of mortality, and it would be very sad to have to sit back and not be a part of it. To be stuck in one place forever.

Winnie did the right thing in not drinking the water herself. It wasn't fair of her to give it to that poor frog, though. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 29, 2016 |
Natalie Babbitt creates a story that is beautiful and even thogugh you know that the Tucks can't be real, you feel as if it could be. To me that is what makes a story great, and Tuck Everlasting is a great book. Babbitt makes the story believable because you fall in love with the characters. Winne Foster is the protagonist in this book, along with the family she meets, the Tucks. You have Mae, the mother, her husband Angus, and their sons Miles and Jesse. They love Winnie and Winnie loves them. I also really like how the author uses the Toad through out the entire book, and it wraps up the ending really well.
I would use this book in my classroom: Looking for Language in the book. The first sentence is a simile and a metaphor! So using the book to uncover figures of speech. The second would be would be to have my students pick a theme from the book, because there are a couple, and then discuss them and maybe write about them.
GENRE: Fantasy ( )
  epatt14 | Jan 27, 2016 |
I recommend that all parents read this to their children. Ten to twelve year olds would be the most receptive. Beautiful language and an unbelievably well-written story! You will be thankful for this experience. ( )
  CHPLAdultServic | Jan 27, 2016 |

Natalie Babbittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fradera, NarcisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, MelissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first week of August hangs at the very top of the summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
Winnie woke early the next morning. The sun was only just opening its own eye on the eastern horizon and the cottage was full of silence. But she realized that sometime during the night her had made up her mind: she would not runaway today. 'Where would I go anyway?'....But in another part of her head...she knew there was another sort of reason for staying at home: she was afraid of going away alone.
This work is the original book. It should not be combined with any film adaptation or other adaptation.

AR 5.0, 4 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312369816, Paperback)

Imagine coming upon a fountain of youth in a forest. To live forever--isn't that everyone's ideal? For the Tuck family, eternal life is a reality, but their reaction to their fate is surprising. Award winner Natalie Babbitt (Knee-Knock Rise, The Search for Delicious) outdoes herself in this sensitive, moving adventure in which 10-year-old Winnie Foster is kidnapped, finds herself helping a murderer out of jail, and is eventually offered the ultimate gift--but doesn't know whether to accept it. Babbitt asks profound questions about the meaning of life and death, and leaves the reader with a greater appreciation for the perfect cycle of nature. Intense and powerful, exciting and poignant, Tuck Everlasting will last forever--in the reader's imagination. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

The Tuck family is confronted with an agonizing situation when they discover that a ten-year-old girl and a malicious stranger now share their secret about a spring whose water prevents one from ever growing any older.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible