Welcome to Beaconsfield by D. J. Manly

Welcome to Beaconsfield

by D. J. Manly

Gian Davinci is an 23 years old police sergeant. He had a pretty bad experience when he was only a child, orphaned and sexually molested by the uncle who took him in after his parents death. If not for a cop who saw beyond his rebel behaviour, Gian probably would be only another society garbage. And instead now he is a very good cop, with a lovely family. He is also gay and proud to be, a social activist who also helps other young men to come to term with their sexuality.

When a new case is brought in front of Gian, despite all the obstacles, Gian knows that he can't turn his shoulder: three guards in a juvenile institute abuse of the boys and also whoring them to paid guest during weekends. Gian chooses to infiltrate in the institute and here meets Cory: eighteen years old and waiting to be transferred in a transitional house, Cory is the "old" among the molested child. And when Gian sees Cory and his frightened friends, he knows that he will do whatever it takes to free them and stops this situation way much to similar to what he was his own experience.

The book is very long and very involving. I think that D.J. Manly, managing to not make this book too sad, after all it's always an erotic romance, also deals with the matter with a surprising deep sensibility. I don't want to say that in previous book he was not "sensible", but that this one is a very "delicate" matter, and it's not simple to write a book that is suppose to "romantically" entertain you while there are rapes and child molesters in it.

Gian is over is own experience, he has had the chance to have a professional support and he manages to deal with his past experience. With the help of a new family, he was also able to fully embrace his sexuality and to not be traumatized. Now is problem is not with sex, it's with the life of a cop that prevents him to have a normal and steady relationship. Even if he is a very good looking guy, he is really convinced that no one would be able to put up with his erratic hours and his frequent absences when he is undercover.

Cory is a molested child. Like all the other guys in the institute he has unconsciously separated his mind (and heart) by his body: what happens to his body is not really happening to him. And so when he meets Gian, he falls in love for the first time, and his love is total but somewhat "innocent". But he is not able to prove it in other way than sexual. And so he is very forward and almost shocking in his attempts to draw Gian to him. Even if he continues to have sex with other men, he is "faithful" to Gian in the only way he knows: his heart is taken and the key is in Gian's hands.

It's not easy to explain what I felt reading this book. I'm ready to comprehend and justify what Cory did, after meeting Gian, only thank to how D.J. Manly presents him to us: if the world would be in black and white, Cory should be stronger and if the world would be perfect, Cory should have more chance to be a "good" guy. But the world has shadows of gray and it's all than perfect, and so Cory tries to do the best with what he has. I don't blame him, maybe I blame a bit Gian to not be more flexible, but probably he is the son of his past, and the inflexibility and the incapacity to totally trust another person, and to open to him, is only another consequences.

Maybe I'm cryptic, but I don't want to spoil to book. Let me say that finally I read a book that go a bit further on in the story after the classical "happily ever after" giving us a glance in what happens next. And probably this will become my favourite among Manly's book.
  elisa.rolle | Jun 9, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,167,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible