Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley

Supreme Courtship (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Christopher Buckley, Anne Heche (Narrator)

Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:Supreme Courtship
Authors:Christopher Buckley
Other authors:Anne Heche (Narrator)
Info:Twelve (2008), Hardcover, 285 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Satire, Politics, Humor, Supreme Court, Audiobook, Excess

Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley (2008)

Christopher Buckley is one of my current favorite authors. He's hysterical and this book definitely lived up to expectations. A great read, although I might wait for it to come out in paperback. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Laughed and laughed beginning to middle. Last quarter was not as entertaining. But, I love Christopher Buckley's writing and humor. Fast read, entertaining and of course makes the most of our country's growing obsession with all things reality TV. ( )
  ilovemycat1 | Oct 27, 2013 |
Buckley is back, this time taking on the Supreme Court. The set-up revolves around a TV court judge who gets nominated to the Supreme Court after the President gets pissed about his two previous nominees being turned down (one for a report on To Kill A Mockingbird from his elementary school days).

I enjoyed Supreme Courtship more than Buckley's last two novels, possibly because I'm just a little obsessed with the Supreme Court. It moved quickly as absurd situation after absurd situation piled on top of each other. Buckley is always a brilliant satirist, but he really topped himself with comments that are all too relevant to our current political climate. It will be interesting to see how this book reads in 20 years. ( )
1 vote BrookeAshley | May 19, 2013 |
Mildly amusing, a bit scattered. The author seemed to be having fun though. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
I just couldn't do it. I don't think I do satirical novels very well bc I find it difficult to waste time with over-the-top characters with little to no redeeming qualities.

If you like satire and politics, you might like this. ( )
  Rincey | Mar 29, 2013 |
For Jolie Hunt BGITU
Supreme Court Associate Justice J. Mortimer Brinnin's deteriorating mental condition had been the subject of talk for some months now, but when he showed up for oral argument with his ears wrapped in aluminum foil, the consensus was that the time had finally come for him to retire.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446579823, Hardcover)

In bestselling author Christopher Buckley's hilarious novel, the President of the United States, ticked off at the Senate for rejecting his nominees, decides to get even by nominating America's most popular TV judge to the Supreme Court.

President Donald Vanderdamp is having a hell of a time getting his nominees onto the Supreme Court. After one nominee is rejected for insufficiently appreciating To Kill a Mockingbird, the president chooses someone so beloved by voters that the Senate won't have the nerve to reject her--Judge Pepper Cartwright, star of the nation's most popular reality show. Will Pepper, a vivacious Texan, survive a Senate confirmation battle? Will becoming one of the most powerful women in the world ruin her love life? Soon, Pepper finds herself in the middle of a constitutional crisis, a presidential reelection campaign that the president is determined to lose, and oral arguments of a romantic nature. Supreme Courtship is another classic Christopher Buckley comedy about the Washington institutions most deserving of ridicule.

Amazon.com Exclusive
An Essay from Christopher Buckley

Somewhere in this brilliant, hilarious, impossible-to-put-down--to say nothing of moderately priced--new book of mine, the narrator notes that appointing a Supreme Court justice is pretty much the most consequential thing a president can do, short of declaring nuclear war; more to the point, that this fact is generally pointed out every four years by whoever is running second in the presidential election.

The Supreme Court is by any definition the most important branch of government. Who else has the power to say--without fear of being contradicted by someone higher up the food chain--"Congratulations, you just won the presidential election, even though the other guy got more votes!" Or, "We really feel awful about this, but you have to be lethally injected tonight at midnight."? If you're on the Supreme Court, you are the top of the food chain.

I've written satires about other Washington institutions. It never occurred to me to try one about the Supreme Court, for the reason that I never found it particularly funny. It was my editor, Jonathan Karp, who suggested it, and if the book turns out to be a stinkeroo and bombs, I am going to petition the Court to have him lethally injected.

At some point, while scratching my noggin and trying to come up with some way into a satire about the Marble Palace, I scribbled on a legal pad (how appropriate is that?): Judge Judy on the Court.

I called Karp and ran it past him. He laughed, which I always take as a good sign, since he doesn't laugh at 99 out of 100 of my genius ideas.

My Judge Judy is a sexy Texan named Pepper Cartwright. She was an actual judge before she became a TV hottie. How, you ask, did she get on the Court in the first place? Well, it all starts on page one where--did I mention how moderately priced the book is?

--Christopher Buckley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:22 -0400)

When a television judge ends up on the Supreme Court, romance and the fate of a presidential election take center stage in this comic political satire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible