The Coumadin (Warfarin) Help Book:…

The Coumadin (Warfarin) Help Book: Anticoagulation Therapy to Prevent and…

by Diana M. Schneider

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great resource for patients and those caring for people on coumadin. Coumadin is commonly prescribed medication that unless taken correctly and food intake adjusted, can cause severe side-effects that might lead to serious illness and death. This book is a must read for those taking coumadin. ( )
  fredalss | Apr 5, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent aid for patients on Coumadin. Clear instructions, readable language. Used it to help a 90 yr. old Spanish speaking relative and it made my job of managing her meds much easier. Highly Recommend. ( )
  Coyote99 | Jul 11, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me start out my review by stating that I am currently a third year Pharmacy student and as such found this book to be pretty helpful in layman's terms. It covered all the basics and then a little more. I loved the fact that there was a general health section at the end - very appropriate. The author did a great job at explaining some very complicated issues, though, I think she sometimes forgets what most people generally "know" and what just comes to health professionals as second nature when you've been in the business forever.

One problem I find with ALL books like this and not just this one in particular, is that by the time these books get published the info in them can be dated by sometimes 3 or more years. This can actually be harmful, especially when dealing with sensitive health issues like anticoagulant therapy. If I remember correctly, I was mostly concerned with her recommendations about using warfarin AND aspirin - I think that those recommendations have changed a lot recently. This can also be seen with the issue of genetic testing for warfarin - from what I've seen in (let me remind you) my limited experience this is actually quickly becoming standard of practice as opposed to something unproven and potentially un-useful. I would, also, love to know which CHEST guidelines she used for writing this book as those seem to change from year to year (I think that's where the updated aspirin info comes from).

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being picky and like I'm getting on my high horse and preaching, but I feel this is an important issue people should understand about health books in general: guidelines change constantly while publishing takes years. This is probably why she didn't go into too much detail about who gets what when, etc. because these directions change pretty regularly.

Again, I think that she did a GREAT job at explaining the basics and I, also, think that this would be an extremely helpful book for people who have to take warfarin.

As a side note: It was kind of annoying to have to read "Coumadin or warfarin" over and over again because in reality Coumadin = warfarin (that's the active ingredient's name) ... I'm sure it's some publishing rule, but it was still annoying. ( )
  Anbigin | Dec 25, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a person who had to take Coumadin for a period of time, starting with a stay in the hospital, I found The Coumadin (Warfarin) Help Book very beneficial in clarifying so many aspects of managing this medication. Very little detail was explained to me about Coumadin and thankfully I was on the therapy for only six months.

I wish this book was available when I was searching for information. The book is easy to read and understand by a lay person.

As a volunteer with the Hospice organization, I am donating this book to their library to be shared with all their staff and patients. ( )
  memasmb | Nov 5, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book because my Dad has taken Coumadin for several years and will probably always have to take it. I wanted to learn more about how Coumadin/Warfarin works and how it affects the body in both positive and negative ways. I found the book extremely useful. It not only covered the mechanisms of Coumadin and potential side effects, but also talks about how your diet and other medications can interact with the drug. The writing is accessible and the book is just the right size - much more readable than the little instructions in 8 point type that come with prescriptions! The information is confidently presented, but Schneider often reminds readers that they should discuss particular concerns with their doctors - which I think is important to emphasize. At less than 100 pages, it is a quick read and provides an excellent source of information on Coumadin, as long as the audience remembers that it is a supplementary source of information and shouldn't substitute for a doctor's advice. ( )
  bookarts | Aug 20, 2008 |

The anti-coagulant Coumadin® can be challenging to manage — slight changes in its blood levels can lead to either ineffectiveness and stroke or bleeding episodes. What's more, a wide range of foods and medications can alter blood levels in conjunction with this medication. In a single, accessible book, author Diana Schneider explains how Coumadin® works, letting readers understand how food and medications alter its effects. She also provides information on how to enjoy a normal, healthy diet while using the drug, manage unusual situations, travel with Coumadin®, and much more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana M. Schneider's book The Coumadin (Warfarin) Help Book was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

DiaMedica

An edition of this book was published by DiaMedica.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,653,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible