Riptide by Catherine Coulter

this has been a really good book. I started this book late yesterday evening. I read over half of it last night before I went to bed. ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
Rebecca Matlock is a speech writer for the governor of New York when she begins recieving threatening phone calls from someone claiming to be her boyfriend who says he will shoot the governor. Rebecca flees to New York City where the stalker kills someone because she annoys him and then she flees to Riptide, a small town in Maine where a college friend lives.
This is part of a series with FBI agents Savich and Sherlock, though this is the first book I have read in the series. The plot moved quickly but I found some of the characters actions to be rather dumb for supposedly brilliant FBI agents. I also saw the twist ending coming from miles away. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
I found the idea of this book to be intriguing. The story tells of a young lady who is being stalked; she reports this to the police but they do not believe her and, in fact, begin to accuse her of causing the problems she reports. She therefore chose to take care of herself, which included getting to a small town she had heard of from a college friend. There are twists and turns in the story involving criminals and good guys.

So -- good idea. Bad execution. This is the first Coulter story I have read, and based on this book, I would not look for others to read. I was sorely disappointed. The writing seemed juvenile; I was surprised to see she had other books that had been published (this read too much like a first-time, self-published stereotype of a book.)

I finished reading the entire book, but at the end felt I had wasted my time.

Other reviewers imply that this author's other works are of better quality. Perhaps if I stumble onto another of her titles, I will give it a try. Perhaps not. I was too disappointed in this one. ( )
  Bandings | Aug 2, 2014 |
Coulter slipped off the edge with this one, and it is a shame. The writing was poor - were you in a hurry, Catherine? Seems so, as the dialog and misses in the narrative made this a difficult read. That, and you know . . . she sort of went right over the cliff into unreal weirdness in this one. Too many really way out there plot lines. I can handle quite a bit of 'unbelievable' but this one? Nah. Really not something I would want to repeat. It's a shame, really, as I have enjoyed the others in this series. I will try the next, but I hope her editor is back on staff. ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
My ongoing love and thanks to Iris Johansen and Kay Hooper, and a special hug to Linda Howard for a terrific twist.
- CC
Becca was watching an afternoon soap opera she'd seen off and on since she was a kid.
Please do not combine with the single title book or the book containing this story. Thanks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515130966, Mass Market Paperback)

Rebecca Matlock is in the thick of politics, enjoying her work as a speechwriter for the governor of New York, who's facing a reelection campaign. What she's not enjoying are the menacing phone calls from a stranger who refers to himself as "your boyfriend" and warns her that he will kill the governor if she doesn't stop sleeping with him. Although Becca has never had a sexual relationship with her boss, she is increasingly frightened by the phone calls. The police, who were initially sympathetic to her plight, make it clear that they regard her as a hysteric, even after the stalker murders an innocent bystander to convince her that he means business. Becca seeks refuge in Riptide, an isolated community on the Maine coast, but terror continues to dog her. The skeleton of a woman who may be the missing wife of a college friend is unearthed in the basement of her new house; the stalker tracks her to her chosen refuge; and she is sought by the police and the FBI following an assassination attempt on the governor.

With the appearance of Adam Carruthers, a stranger who says he's her guardian angel but doesn't tell her who sent him, the plot makes a dramatic right turn that requires a willing suspension of disbelief. It seems that Becca's father, a high-ranking intelligence officer, went underground when she was a baby in order to protect his family from reprisals by a Soviet agent whose wife he had accidentally killed. Now it's payback time, as Thomas Matlock calls in his own intelligence community to neutralize the threat on his daughter's life. All the attendant testosterone speeds up the action and propels it toward a shoot-'em-up conclusion, but it also sacrifices a clearer portrayal of Becca's feelings about her father's deception and abandonment. At the same time, the switch from a damsel-in-distress story to a high-velocity espionage thriller relegates the skeleton in Becca's basement to a secondary plot point that is resolved a bit too tidily. Catherine Coulter is short on character development and explication, but she weaves a suspenseful web of danger and intrigue, and for her many admirers, the fact that there seem to be two novels trying to coexist in one book may not be too much of a good thing. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

Receiving a letter that threatens the governor and damages her own reputation, political speechwriter Becca Matlock finds herself on her own when the police refuse to believe her and declare her a suspect instead.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible