Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True…

Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka

by Jon Scieszka

Recently added bybooksbe, Akennedy772, zrgrohma, private library, jackrmcds25, davidgn

Jon Scieszka, author of many pictures books, as well as the editor of the Guys Read books and the Guys Read website, tells his own story of growing up while trying to answer the common questions he's asked by students. He grew up as the 2nd oldest of 6 boys. His stories are very boy friendly, but also very Caucasian middle america. One of his chapters also appears in the original Guys Read collection, a story about a car trip, a Stuckey's pecan log, cat & brother puke, and a lot of hilarity. It's a piece I've used with students before, so it was fun to see the rest of the information in the biography about life growing up with his brothers to put it in perspective. This is VERY readable, funny non-fiction.
  TeachrBkMom | Jul 20, 2015 |
This book is an excellent resource for teachers on many levels: as a readaloud and as writing tool. Scieska uses narrative elements to retell his life story. By analyzing his work, students could replicate many of his writing moves in their own narrative writing, a CCSS requirement. ( )
  CJFisher | Jul 12, 2015 |
John Scieszka's Knuckleheads is an entertaining memoir of well, a knucklehead, to put it plainly. The narrator explores the trouble he would get himself into or the silly and crazy things that happened to him over the years. There are several highly entertaining accounts in this story that will really help reach the reluctant reader, particularly a reluctant boy reader. I find this to be an incredibly useful book - one that any classroom library should have. ( )
  JonathanToups | Feb 10, 2014 |
MSBA 2009-2010

Good book. Very funny, although I found it to be more of the humor that you smile and chuckle at than laugh out loud. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Knucklehead, by Jon Scieszka, is a biography. Jon is a very funny guy and he writes books primarily for guys. By writing about himself he allows all boys to relate to his crazy childhood. This relation with Jon motivates boys to read because they think, "if he can do it so can I." My favorite part about this book was the structure of the book. Most biographies are long and boring, but the author has many chapters in this book and none of them are more than five pages. This was perfect because I could pick up the book between classes and read a whole chapter and not have to remember the beginning. This is great for kids too because they always need to read. When they have finished their work early this gives a great opportunity. Another thing I liked about this book was the writing and the language used. This biography was written with a joke on almost every page, and a story about how he managed to get in trouble that week. Jon wrote about his childhood and used a lot of short quick sentences to allow for quick and fun reading. The only down side to this is the language used was not very challenging for a 3rd or 4th grade student who would be reading this. The last part of the book I liked was the images, Jon had masses of pictures of his family in the book. Jon showed interests and quick previews of chapters with a picture on the first page. These pictures pull the reader forward, for example the picture of the melted army men and airplanes intrigued me. Even though I was already done reading for the night I read that extra chapter because I wanted to know what had happened to that plastic army man. Jon is an amazing author and I found this book to be extremely educating and entertaining at the same time. The big picture of this is to get boys thinking, and realizing they can be readers and writers too. ( )
  babshe1 | Oct 21, 2013 |
To Mom and Dad and Jim, Tom, Gregg, Brian, and Jeff -Jon
I grew up in Flint, Michigan, with my five brothers - Jim, Tom, Gregg, Brian, and What's-His-Name. The youngest one. Oh yeah --- Jeff.
I'm the second oldest. And the nicest. And the smartest. And the best looking. And the most humble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067001138X, Paperback)

How did Jon Scieszka get so funny, anyway? Growing up as one of six brothers was a good start, but that was just the beginning. Throw in Catholic school, lots of comic books, lazy summers at the lake with time to kill, babysitting misadventures, TV shows, jokes told at family dinner, and the result is Knucklehead. Part memoir, part scrapbook, this hilarious trip down memory lane provides a unique glimpse into the formation of a creative mind and a free spirit.

Watch a QuickTime trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

How did Jon Scieszka get so funny? He grew up as one of six brothers with Catholic school, lots of comic books, lazy summers at the lake with time to kill, babysitting misadventures, TV shows, and jokes told at family dinner.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,894,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible