Season of the Sun by Catherine Coulter

Season of the Sun

by Catherine Coulter (Author)

This book disappointed me, well researched until Zarabeth was using potatoes. And now that I write it, all the viking names appeared to be well researched, but there is no Z in Irish and she is established as Irish. Her mother remarries a trader from York (not Yorvik, no, York), and the story features rape as seduction. Basically a few chapters in I was annoyed with the characters and wanted to watch some episodes of Vikings to wash the disappointment out.

Zarabeth is in York parenting her sister, Lotti, who is deaf, because her mother is dead, Olav the Vain was her mother's husband and he lusts after her.using Lotti as a tool to keep her in check. When she meets Magnus, a viking, who offers her a way out, but Olav blocks her joy, when Olav dies under mysterious circumstances Magnus takes his revenge on her rejection by taking her as his slave.

Because he wants her, none of her objections work for him, not even her tears. His needs triumph. His sister behaves like a complete bitch several times over. Some actual talking to each other might have gone a long way, I'm not sure that it would be a healthy long-term relationship.

And doesn't it have the ugliest cover ever, this was published in 2000.

Honestly it left a bad taste. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 9, 2015 |
Ugh. It may be partly me, and the mood I'm in - I've read and (as I recall) enjoyed Coulter before - but this read really bad. The characters, where they aren't cardboard, are modern people in fancy dress - everything from Magnus giving himself affirmations before he spoke to Zarabeth, to modesty in front of a child, is very out of period. The setting is reasonably accurate, which only made the attitudes jar more. There's also a heavy reliance on rape, by the hero on the heroine - even if she enjoys it, it's still rape if she's unwilling. A lot of stupid behavior, a lot of even stupider motivations for said behavior - honestly, I was wondering if Ingunn had a brain tumor or something (and if so, how they would find out). And a sweet little deus ex machina to devalue the biggest change in both their lives. I'm glad I read it, because now I don't ever have to read it again. I'll try a few more Coulters, particularly as I think this was an early one of hers, but if this is her level I won't be reading her any more. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 4, 2015 |
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
Zarabeth, lives in York with her step father and her step brother and younger sister. Zarabeth has yet to find a spouse, due to the fact that her step father chases most of her suitors away, until a warrior viking comes into town and starts courting her and wanting to marry her. At first Zarabeth is shocked at Magnus at his bluntness at wanting her for his wife and lover, but is intrigued and knows that she wants him as well, because he stirs up her senses like none other has ever done before. But when her step father finds out her true feelings for Magnus, he forces her to betray him threatening to hurt someone she cares for, so she does it, not knowing another way out. But then he comes back and takes her back to Norway as his slave, instead of his wife as he had once planned, however things never seem to go as planned. And Magnus despite her betrayal of him, can't deny the desire that she rises within him, more so than any other woman ever has. However things at home only get more hectic once he brings her to his home, and things between the two defnitely get heated, which could only end up in love. I truly enjoyed Season of the Sun, although I never know when I read Coulter's book if I am going to be able to really enjoy them and immerse myself into the stories, but with this one, I had it read it just a few hours. Crazy I know, but when I like a book, I truly immerse myself and before I know it, its at "The End" part and I look at the time, and its just crazy how fast I can read once I get into a story. I just love Viking romances and this is at the top of my list. Although I thought that throughout the story that there was some things missing from the book. I don't want to spoil the book too much so I wont however share any details, but I thought that there seemed to be a few things in the relationship between these two that I had issues with. However overall it was a great romance read, well written, with vivid characters and a intriguing plot, so defnitely if you like Viking Historical Romances you definitely don't want to miss out on this one or this series!! ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 25, 2013 |
Dragged on and on really. Didn't care for characters, and the plot was dull and annoying. ( )
  flemmily | Jan 17, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451206487, Mass Market Paperback)

A viking romance IS ALWAY S IN SEASON

First published in 1991, Season of the Sun is the glorious story of a Viking man whose love for one woman is nearly destroyed by her stubborn stepfather.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:59 -0400)

In ninth-century England, beautiful and delicate Zarabeth falls in love with Magnus Haraldsson, the passionate captain of a Viking vessel, despite the cruel machinations of her stepfather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,171,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible