Oracle Night by Paul Auster

Oracle Night (2004)

by Paul Auster

Recently added byprivate library, alo1224, jpd16, HiroProtagonist, Storasen, alejandroseneca, jpcidm, thebigidea

English (28)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (41)
Love Paul Auster. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
El arte de contar historias. Una dentro de otra y de otra, como las muñecas rusas o cajas chinas. La historia de un escritor recién recuperado de una enfermedad y un cuaderno azul portugués. Una extraordinaria obra que tiene como principal tema el amor y el perdón. Parecieran finales predecibles pero los giros inesperados son los que nos hacen sentir que vivimos junto con los personajes. Sidney Orr al final terminará de contar su propia historia novelada con la relación que tiene su esposa Grace. Ella con un pasado incierto es capaz de soportar con heroísmo sus acciones y consecuencias.
Paul Auster es un autor prolífico y fui atrapado por la primera obra que leí llamada Diario de Invierno. ( )
  Rhafhaell | Dec 11, 2014 |
I consider Paul Auster to be my most worthwhile discovery of 2005. I picked this one up randomly, because the cover seemed mysterious. And with a title like "Oracle Night", I was willing to try it. And it was every bit worth it. He relies on footnotes in this book, but he rarely abuses it. I didn't get to read any of his other books that year. Seattle Public Library had one other title, and I didn't get a chance to read it (I owe SPL money for it, actually). ( )
  annmariestover | Apr 4, 2013 |
Paul Auster really disappointed me with Timbuktu, and I wasn't especially willing to give him a second chance. But then I saw the cover of this book and knew I had lost all choice in the matter. Paul Auster and I, you see, both love office supplies. Or at least the protaganist in Oracle Night does. When he described finding the perfect notebook and the need to write something meaningful to begin it, I knew immediately and exactly what he meant. On top of our office supply affinity, this book encompasses several parallel plot lines within a single work. It's a detective story, a love story, a whatever-you-want-it-to-be story. How lucky - that's my favorite kind! ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
This blew my mind. One of the most lucid arguments I've ever read on 'what is a novel', argued in the form of a novel. Not to be missed!

Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
for Q.B.A.S.G.

(in memory)
I had been sick for a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805073205, Hardcover)

In Oracle Night, Paul Auster returns to one of his favorite themes: writing about writers and the act of writing. Recovering from a severe illness that has left him weak and prone to nosebleeds, struggling novelist Sidney Orr takes the suggestion of his mentor, the acclaimed novelist John Trause, and begins a story about a man who, upon considering a near-death experience as an omen (or excuse), walks out on his wife and begins a new life. Nick Bowen, Orr's protagonist, moves to Kansas City and finds work with a man engaged in creating a sort of catalogue of all known persons from a warehouse filled with phonebooks. Dressed in Goodwill clothing, Nick finds it "fitting to don the wardrobe of a man who has likewise ceased to exist--as if that double negation made the erasure of his past more thorough, more permanent." Grace, however, acts strangely soon after Sidney begins the "novel-within-a-novel" in a mysterious blue notebook.

Auster uses footnotes to provide interesting backstory and develops Sidney's insecurities regarding love and fidelity, but when Sidney hits a patchy spot and writes Bowen into a corner, he (and Auster) shrugs and drops the story. The mystery that seemingly unrelated coincidences may have a causal connection is left unresolved, and Trause's delinquent son shows up to facilitate a hollow, climactic ending. Auster is a gifted writer, to be sure, but once trapped by the inner story, Oracle Night loses steam. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

"Several months into his recovery from a near-fatal illness, thirty-four-year-old novelist Sidney Orr enters a stationery shop in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and buys a blue notebook. It is September 18, 1982, and for the next nine days Orr will live under the spell of this blank book, trapped inside a world of eerie premonitions and bewildering events that threaten to destroy his marriage and undermine his faith in reality." "Why does his wife suddenly break down in tears in the backseat of a taxi just hours after Sidney begins writing in the notebook? Why does M. R. Chang, the owner of the stationery shop, precipitously shut down his business the next day? What are the connections between a 1938 Warsaw telephone directory and a lost novel in which the hero can predict the future? At what point does animosity explode into violence? To what degree is forgiveness the ultimate expression of love?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,200,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible