American Tall Tales by Mary Pope Osborne

American Tall Tales

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added byturk70, private library, kuipers5, kerrygiven, Julia.Reeb, milbess, RSSAA, MikeKubisek, sultrydiva

I found these Tall Tales to be quiet boring. There was no interesting facts that would pull a reader in to make them want to read this book. I felt like the plots were very plain. The illustrations are colorful, but not exciting to look at, like other books I have read.

I honestly do not know what the main idea of any of the Tall Tales were because I did not understand a single one. ( )
  kwisem1 | Mar 7, 2014 |
The wood engravings really add an old timey feel to this book, which is so appropriate. I do like the way she focused on the humanity of the characters and am glad she was able to add one of her own. Sally Ann Thunder was a delightful character, and there was not a huge focus on her beauty; the focus was on her strength. "Johnny Appleseed" and "John Henry" were my favorites. "Johnny Appleseed" because it was a good mix of John Chapman, the real man, and Johnny Appleseed, the folk hero. "John Henry" I loved because I had forgotten his story from when I was little and re-reading it I realized what a fine man he was and it made me so sad when he died.
I can see myself reading this in class and coming up with many follow up activities. With Johnny Appleseed we could use it for science and start growing an apple tree to plant somewhere. We could use Stormalong to learn about the sea. Quite frankly John Henry could be read in a high school history class or government class to have them debate about technology driving away blue collar jobs, and the benefits and detriments that causes. Its a great book. ( )
  Jill.Haner | Jan 20, 2014 |
A wonderful resource for teaching tall tales. Mary Pope Osborne gets the folksy voices just right, and her introductions to each of the tall tale characters give invaluable information on the history of how that particular tall tale developed. Bold illustrations capture the adventure and energy of these exaggerated tales. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
New Copy
  npedcmc | Oct 31, 2012 |
using for my small class of eight year olds. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Mar 19, 2012 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mccurdy, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snively, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I understand the large hearts of heroes, The courage of present times and all times..." - Walt Whitman
For Will, who is the whole steamboat, and with special thanks to my editor, Anne Schwartz – M. P. O.
Dedicated to the memory of Lynd Ward, whose tools helped to engrave these pictures – M. M.
The real Davy Crockett was a backwoodsman born in the mountains of Tennessee in 1786.

Celebrating the 15th anniversary of these collection of tales. There are among nine "tall" heroes featured in this exuberant collection of traditional American folk tales, including Paul Bunyan, JohnnyAppleseed, John Henry, and other American folk heroes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:14 -0400)

A collection of tall tales about such American folk heroes as Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind, Pecos Bill, John Henry, and Paul Bunyan.

64 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible