American Tall Tales by Mary Pope Osborne

American Tall Tales

by Mary Pope Osborne

This is a wonderful compilation of tall tales that would be perfect to keep in a classroom for story time. The first thing I liked about this book was the characters. There are tales about several familiar names, such as Paul Bunyon and Johnny Appleseed. The characters strengths and weaknesses are highlighted. Johnny Appleseed was responsible for helping spread apples across the US, but he was also really bad at romance. I also liked the illustrations in the book. The pictures are all hand-drawn and give a historical feel, which is fitting for these stories from the past. The main idea of this book is to retell traditional tall tales that have been passed down through generations. It also introduces children to the well-known characters of the traditional literature world. ( )
  jwrigh28 | Oct 22, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book because it is a compilation of nine folk tales in which heroes and heroines are greatly exaggerated. It contains a lot of humor, which keeps the reader engaged and interested. The purpose of this book is to give morals and lessons through various stories. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Mary Pope Osborne does a fantastic job when retelling the famous American tall tales. This book includes stories on Davy Crockett, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan and more. The stories are short but they are packed with so much information. The stories are much like their originals however they are humorous. Mary Pope Osborne does a good job with capturing moments that can be turned into funny matters. For example, in the story about Johnny Appleseed, it was talking about everything he had seen on his journey. One of the people he saw was "a man names Lincoln giving speeches in a field. 'Keep it up! John Shouted. 'Maybe you'll be president some day!'" I thought this was funny because I can hear Johnny'e tone of voice in my head when I am reading it. It uses foreshadowing to capture that moment and students reading that are going to make connections and realize that Abraham Lincoln was in fact a famous American President.
  brittanyyelle | Oct 21, 2015 |
There are numerous reasons why I liked this book. The first is because in the beginning of the book the author includes an map of the tall tales. I think this helps the reader because they gain awareness of the location of the majority of these tall tales, which is on the Eastern Shore. This allows the reader to make inferences on the time line and creation of these tall tales, in the 1700s. In addition to the map, in every chapter, there is an illustration of the person being described in the tall tale. For example Davey Crocket is depicted in the first picture tackling a cougar. These pictures help the students gain understanding and a clear picture of the legends depicted in the tall tales. In addition to the vivid illustrations, the author also writes the stories in a combination of first and third person. When the author is describing the legend, she refers to the characters by their names; however, the author also includes quotes that are “said” by the legend that are in first person. This contrast in the point of views created interest in the reader making the text unique. A good example of this is when the author says, “That’s the same Davy who could carry thunder in his fist and fling lightening from his fingers. That’s the same Davy who liked to holler, ‘I can slide down the slipper ends of rainbows!’”. This contrast is very interesting to read. Overall I think the main idea is to describe in detail the story of each of the legends that includes their entire life. ( )
  eyork1 | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a great book combined of nine different stories. Each story, the main character had a different occupation. The plot was easy to follow and the organization of the stories were in an order that made sense to me. The book pushes the reader to think of the morals in each story. Such as the part about volunteer firefighters. It shows kids bigger issues in life through a light-hearted tale. The big message of the story was learning about the different eras and people that were talked about in the different tales.
  bemory1 | Oct 14, 2015 |

Osborne, Mary Popeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mccurdy, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snively, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I understand the large hearts of heroes, The courage of present times and all times..." - Walt Whitman
For Will, who is the whole steamboat, and with special thanks to my editor, Anne Schwartz – M. P. O.
Dedicated to the memory of Lynd Ward, whose tools helped to engrave these pictures – M. M.
The real Davy Crockett was a backwoodsman born in the mountains of Tennessee in 1786.

Celebrating the 15th anniversary of these collection of tales. There are among nine "tall" heroes featured in this exuberant collection of traditional American folk tales, including Paul Bunyan, JohnnyAppleseed, John Henry, and other American folk heroes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

A collection of tall tales about such American folk heroes as Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind, Pecos Bill, John Henry, and Paul Bunyan.

21 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible