A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carre

A Most Wanted Man (original 2008; edition 2009)

by John Le Carre

Member:Minthe
Title:A Most Wanted Man
Authors:John Le Carre
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2009), Paperback, 417 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Fiction, Owned, For recommendations
Tags:zb2010, zfbubl, zr2013, germany, hamburg

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré (2008)

Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carré (sturlington)
    The Mission Song by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    The Night Manager by John Le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    Flygtningen by Olav Hergel (2810michael)
    Harbor by Lorraine Adams (davidpwhelan)
    davidpwhelan: Both books share plots that deal with mistaken identity, circumstantial evidence, war on terror, ascribing hostility to others based on race or religious background, and are well-written thrillers.
    Indvandreren by Olav Hergel (2810michael)

English (60)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (68)
The only thing that stops people from realizing that le Carre is in the same breath as any other great writer alive today is that he writes in a 'genre'... He writes so well, constructs sentences so perfectly, that it makes my head hurt sometimes. The guy just hasn't lost a step.

I'm giving this five stars despite the over the top cartoony kind of anti-American ending he slapped on kinda out of nowhere. The rest of the book is that good. Really hope he's got a few more of these left up his sleeve. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
A totally pointless book. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing did and then the book just randomly ends. Issa may or may not be a Chechneyan terrorist. He obtains a lawyer Annabel Richter to help him become a German citizen and obtain an education to become a doctor. Then Annabel and the banker Brue become involved with German and English spies. I have no idea what the point of this book was suppsoed ot be. A waste of my time. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book took me forever to slog through. Not my type of novel.

Was the writing bad? No, but it was convoluted.

If you thought this was going to be an action-filled spy novel, you would be wrong. Le Carre focuses on the intellectual aspect of high-stakes information gathering.

It's set in modern day, and I thought I would like both the setting and the intellectual take on intelligence gathering. I didn't. ( )
  Raeleigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
Citat: Odvjetniku Brueu psihijatar savjetuje da kćeri o razvodu od njezine majke kaže kako su dva sretna doma bolja od jednog nesretnog.
Tommy, kad si u rupi, ne kopaj, nego gradi nasipe.
Poput Sartrea, i ja osjećam nostalgiju za budućnošću. Kad budem imao budućnost, neću imati prošlost. ( )
  rosenrot | Nov 16, 2015 |
Le Carre is masterful in his use of English; he almost seems to be using an evolved form of the language with the rest of us languishing behind. He sprinkles the work with phrases that could only be his--such as, "Life is a botch," rather than the more vulgar usage that everyone else makes do with. The author's complex plotting is legendary, and one does not find out who the baddies are until the last few pages. There are gradations of evil as well, the worst being what Le Carre, in another work, termed the "espinonacracy"; the administrative chiefs who fight for turf and budget and never have to experience, as the author puts it, "warm blood." Victims too endure different levels of suffering, from a person who has virtually lived in the torture-filled Guantanamos of the world to the street spies who are merely seeking to do their jobs (rather than their supervisors who don't care about right and wrong or promises made as long as they augment their power). Everyone is controlled by factors out of their control, and seeks to muddle through without losing too much self-respect. Some people, in fact, take advantage of a crisis to achieve a new perspective on life; others are painfully scarred by events and will never be the same. My one quibble is that Le Carre's oeuvre is so intellectualized, such a brilliant game of chess, that readers find it difficult to establish emotional bonds with characters--as some characters wonder around entire works trapped in an emotional void that is impossible to escape. The characters and the resolution of their crises are unforgettable, but rather than provoking an emotional response, the reader is left numb. Can people really be this horrible? That may be the way of the world, but it's certainly not escapist literature. ( )
  neddludd | Oct 4, 2015 |

John le Carréprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rees, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The golden rule is, to help those we love to escape from us.
~ Friedrich von Hügel
For my grandchildren,
born and unborn
A Turkish heavyweight boxing champion sauntering down a Hamburg street with his mother on his arm can scarcely be blamed for failing to notice that he is being shadowed by a skinny boy in a black coat.
The staple of your private banker's life, Brue liked to pontificate after a scotch or two in amiable company, was not, as one might reasonably expect, cash. It wasn't bull markets, bear markets, hedge funds or derivatives. It was cock-up. It was the persistent, he would go so far as to say the permanent sound, not to put too fine an edge on it, of excrement hitting your proverbial fan. So if you didn't happen to like living in a state of unremitting siege, the odds were that private banking wasn't for you.
The driver was holding open the rear door. He was young and blond, a boy in his prime.
I am a Muslim medical student. I am tired and I wish to stay at your house.
He had the assurance of wealth but none of its arrogance. His facial features, when not battened down for professional inscrutability, were affable and, despite a lifetime in banking or because of it, refreshingly unlined.
If there are people in the world for whom espionage was ever the only possible calling, Bachmann was such a person.

Lawyer; terrorist;
Banker; lots and lots of spies.
But who can you trust?
(Noisy)

A half-starved young Russian man claiming to be a devout Muslim, an idealistic young German civil rights lawyer, and a sixty-year-old scion of a failing British bank based in Hamburg form an unlikely alliance as the rival spies of Germany, England and America scent a sure kill in the "War on Terror," and converge upon the innocents.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,054,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible