A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carre

A Most Wanted Man (edition 2009)

by John Le Carre

Member:Minthe
Title:A Most Wanted Man
Authors:John Le Carre
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2009), Paperback, 417 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Fiction, Owned, For recommendations
Tags:zb2010, zfbubl, zr2013, germany, hamburg

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré

The Mission Song by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    The Night Manager by John Le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    Harbor by Lorraine Adams (davidpwhelan)
    davidpwhelan: Both books share plots that deal with mistaken identity, circumstantial evidence, war on terror, ascribing hostility to others based on race or religious background, and are well-written thrillers.
    Flygtningen by Olav Hergel (2810michael)
    Indvandreren by Olav Hergel (2810michael)

English (65)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All (73)
Sad ending but that's probably how it will be in reality too. ( )
  siok | Jul 25, 2017 |
I loved the character development and the growing suspicion of impending doom. ( )
  BridgitDavis | May 26, 2017 |
I probably would never have read this book if not for Tony Kevin, author of Walking the Camino and Return to Moscow. A retired diplomat who was based in Moscow during the Soviet era, Kevin recommends John le Carré as an author who depicts the intricate world of spies and diplomacy in quite realistic ways. So, when I saw A Most Wanted Man at the library, I thought why not? I had liked The Constant Gardener, after all…

A Most Wanted Man turned out to be quite entertaining reading. Not surprisingly, it has been made into a film.

To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2017/04/23/a-most-wanted-man-by-john-le-carre-narrated-by-michael-jayston/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Apr 23, 2017 |
I have long been an avid reader of le Carré, but for some reason took a hiatus after 'Single & Single', which, maybe due to my own frame of mind at the time, I found less satisfying than normal. However, I'm glad that I made a belated return to 'A Most Wanted Man'. Chapter One was like getting on a familiar but slightly rusty bicycle, and it took a couple of turns to get going, but once into Chapter Two, I never looked back. As has been said a million times, le Carré is a master of story-telling, and his deceptively easy flowing style is compelling. There may be a touch or two of the formulaic in the plotting by this stage, but that does not detract from engagement with character, which I find to be at the heart of this novel. Furthermore, although only narrating at the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, the author clearly communicates a much larger passion for the subject-matter than the words intrinsically convey. As ever, it is an overriding sense of the battle between justice and injustice, which has been a constant at least since 'The Spy Who Came in from the Cold', that lifts a le Carré thriller into the realms of literature. ( )
  Kanikoski | Feb 19, 2017 |
I read A Most Wanted Man when it was first published, saw the movie last week, and decided to re-read it. I'm glad I did. Although it's not a spy novel starring George Smiley by any means, LeCarre's trademark dialogue, exceptional writing, and intricate plotting are all present. It's not a book that screamed 'you have to make a movie out of this' (which is why I re-read it, to see if I missed something the first time), but the interaction among the characters and the ambiguity of the situations throughout the story end up being the basis for a good book and a pretty fair movie.

The story itself, which begins in a fairly lighthearted manner, quickly becomes complicated by strange behavior on the part of the illegal immigrant, German rules and regulations, a liberal female lawyer that everyone ends up falling in love with, the War on Terror, a bank that may have played too nicely with bad people in the past, international competition between spy agencies, and many other complexities. In typical fashion, LeCarre does a nice job and takes his time developing the characters, so throughout the cat and mouse scenarios I was able to keep the players straight. The end wasn't exactly a scenario that was expected, but in retrospect it should have been. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |

John le Carréprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rees, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The golden rule is, to help those we love to escape from us.
~ Friedrich von Hügel
For my grandchildren,
born and unborn
A Turkish heavyweight boxing champion sauntering down a Hamburg street with his mother on his arm can scarcely be blamed for failing to notice that he is being shadowed by a skinny boy in a black coat.
The staple of your private banker's life, Brue liked to pontificate after a scotch or two in amiable company, was not, as one might reasonably expect, cash. It wasn't bull markets, bear markets, hedge funds or derivatives. It was cock-up. It was the persistent, he would go so far as to say the permanent sound, not to put too fine an edge on it, of excrement hitting your proverbial fan. So if you didn't happen to like living in a state of unremitting siege, the odds were that private banking wasn't for you.
The driver was holding open the rear door. He was young and blond, a boy in his prime.
I am a Muslim medical student. I am tired and I wish to stay at your house.
He had the assurance of wealth but none of its arrogance. His facial features, when not battened down for professional inscrutability, were affable and, despite a lifetime in banking or because of it, refreshingly unlined.
If there are people in the world for whom espionage was ever the only possible calling, Bachmann was such a person.
This is the book; do not combine with the movie that is an adaption of this book.

Lawyer; terrorist;
Banker; lots and lots of spies.
But who can you trust?
(Noisy)

A half-starved young Russian man claiming to be a devout Muslim, an idealistic young German civil rights lawyer, and a sixty-year-old scion of a failing British bank based in Hamburg form an unlikely alliance as the rival spies of Germany, England and America scent a sure kill in the "War on Terror," and converge upon the innocents.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible