Gorilla by Anthony Browne

Gorilla (original 1983; edition 2008)

by Anthony Browne, Anthony Browne (Illustrator)

Member:trisweather
Title:Gorilla
Authors:Anthony Browne
Other authors:Anthony Browne (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2008), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, children's book, picture book
Rating:*****
Tags:købt til iBbY 2012, signeret

Gorilla by Anthony Browne (1983)

Award illustrators assignment ( )
  auhaddad | Dec 9, 2013 |
I was feeling a little ambivalent about this story, and my little boy also seemed, while interested, not too drawn in. There's a sad feel to it, and he probably didn't relate. But it may be more suitable for an early reader as a book to read by yourself, to let the imagination roam without the interference of your parent. This said, I liked the illustrations and I'm very intrigued by [a:Anthony Browne's|35335|Anthony Browne|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1272902188p2/35335.jpg] other titles, and I will be seeking them out. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Anthony Browne is always creating relatable characters and I love that he isn't oblivious to the struggles that real kids go through. The little girl in this book feels ignored and neglected by her father and this gorilla comes into her life and gives her all the attention she wants. We dont know if it all really happened or if it was all a dream or even if it was her dad in disguise but it happened and it was wonderful for her. I also like that the story ended on a hopeful note. Kids need hope. ( )
  ravjohns | Oct 3, 2013 |
This book is about a little girl who really wants to go to the zoo but her father won't take her, so her gorilla friend takes her to the zoo, and the next day on her birthday, her father decides to take her to the zoo.
  AlyshaKnandel | Dec 11, 2012 |
(easy, picture book) Anthony Browne does it again with his surreal gorilla images.I love this author/illustrator's pictures. Hannah loves gorillas; she eats, sleeps and breathes gorillas! All she wants is for her dad to take her to the zoo to see one. Dad is too busy or too tired too much of the time. When dad gives her a stuffed gorilla for her birthday she is dissapointed. That night in her dreams her dissapointment becomes her wish come true as the gorilla becomes life size and fulfills all her birthday desires. The next morning when she wakes up, her dad surprises her with a birthday trip to the zoo. Lesson to learn here: don't take your little ones for granted, listen to them. Our little ones are waiting for every little nugget of attention we drop to them. For the kiddies, give mom or dad a chance. It's hard to pull ourselves away from the responsibilities and pressures of being an adult and all the provider duties it carries. We love you and we hear you, sometimes it just takes us a little extra time. ( )
  derbygirl | Jul 18, 2011 |
You know you're in for a special treat when you see the witty background detail of the book's cover illustration; there's King Kong smashing biplanes and a freighter full of bananas silhouetted against the night skyline of a Magritte-like town. And the promise is more than fulfilled by this unassumingly complex story of a reconciliation between humanity and beast.

Hannah loved gorillas.

Anthony Browne’s incomparable artwork illuminates the deeply satisfying story of a lonely girl, a friendly gorilla, and their enchanted night out.

Hannah spends all of her time reading gorilla books, watching gorilla TV shows, and drawing gorilla pictures. She has gorillas on her bedside lamp
and even on her box of cereal. Hannah loves gorillas and longs to see a real one, but her father is always too busy - or too tired - to take her to the zoo. Then, on the night before her birthday, something extraordinary happens - and Hannah’s wish comes gloriously true.
Annotation
Neglected by her busy father, a lonely young girl receives a toy gorilla for her birthday and together they take a miraculous trip to the zoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:31 -0400)

Hannah loves gorillas but has never seen one. Her father's too busy to take her to the zoo. For her birthday, Hannah asks her father for a gorilla - but is disappointed when she discovers that the gorilla she's got is just a toy one. But then something extraordinary happens.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,032,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible