The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (1969)

by Eric Carle

Recently added byprivate library, mayajoyk, leahdeschepper, alycombs, pahouax, Sashshearman

English (552)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (556)
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I believe that is a very appealing book for young readers who are first acquiring literacy skills. I liked the book for young readers because the author uses very simple text but creates such a wonderful story. The illustrations are very colorful, tactile, and fun. I think the pictures are great because the children have the opportunity to interact with them. For example, as the caterpillar eats food through the holes there are holes punched out of the book. There are also various flaps throughout the text that allow the readers to flip them open to find other pictures. I also enjoyed the book because there are both numbers and days of the week placed in the text. The idea of introducing numbers and days of the week to young readers is very significant. I believe that the main message of the story is that we all eventually grow up to be strong with proper nutrients. ( )
  mbolle1 | Mar 26, 2015 |
A wonderfully illustrated novel that makes great use of color and paper collages, as well as texture through the holes. Its a great novel that can be used to teach children about the cycle of a butterfly, as well as, different types of foods. It is also an interactive novel in which the children can feel the holes in the pages.
  MindyTran | Mar 19, 2015 |
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a classic children's book and I enjoyed it thoroughly due to its illustrations and the way it pushes its readers. Without the illustrations throughout the book, it simply wouldn't be the same. They are very colorful and detailed, which is good to draw in young children's attention. The reason that I say the book would lack without the illustrations is because at one point, when the caterpillar is eating the fruit, there are "flaps" provided that represent the fruit. The children are able to use their fine motor skills to lift the flaps of fruit and to count how many of each types of fruit the caterpillar ate. This leads me into my second reason that I enjoyed the book so much. This book does not only cover literature, but it covers math as well. The author pushes his readers to read the words in the book, while also simultaneously using math to count how many of each fruits, vegetables, and candies the caterpillar ate. This is a great way to broaden students perspectives when reading. Overall, the big message of the book was that in order for young animals and people to grow, they must eat a healthy diet, and allow their bodies to develop on its own. ( )
  aholli3 | Mar 13, 2015 |
This is a classic book that I've always enjoyed for the fun illustrations. Eric Carle has a unique illustration style that makes his books recognizable. The colors make it fun and the hole cut-outs add a fun twist for children to stay interested. The plot is very well organized. Carle begins each page with what day it is so that young children can follow the sequence of events clearly. The big idea of the story is to take care of yourself and eat well so that you can grow up to be big and strong (or a butterfly). ( )
  agaski3 | Mar 12, 2015 |
Follows a hungry little caterpillar as he
eats his way through food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon
around himself and goes to sleep. He then turns into a butterfly. Great for counting and introducing very young readers to the lifecycle.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,266,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible