dismiss

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (1969)

by Eric Carle

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.

English (945)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (958)
One fat boi
  thenumeraltwo | Jun 27, 2020 |
As a kid I was a complete sucker for the hole-in-the-page gimmick and, let's face it, as an adult, I still am. Simple pictures that work very well. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Carle, E. (1994). The Very Hungry Caterpillar. London: Philomel Books
This is another great book for preschoolers to begin learning the life cycle of a caterpillar and how we all change as we get older. The brilliant pictures and the unique way this book incorporates one page into the next is great for holding the attention of a young reader. I love that the book incorporates all types of food that the caterpillar eats on his journey. The best part is the surprise ending when the caterpillar becomes a butterfly.
  LauraDowdle | Jun 2, 2020 |
I don’t think I’ve ever met a person who didn’t love The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The physical design of this book is my favorite part. The holes each page as he eats his way through. It's a classic. Simple and beautiful. ( )
  slserpas | May 4, 2020 |
This book beautifully illustrates the life cycle of a butterfly with the collage style art characteristic of Eric Carle. It goes through each stage of the life cycle from an egg to caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly. The pictures have exquisite color and add so much to the book. It also uses numbers to count the amount of food that the caterpillar ate each day. It also lists the days of the week, which is yet another concept the book covers. I would have my students act out the story and each stage with the use of props found in the classroom. I love this classic story. ( )
  Katie_Morgan | Apr 27, 2020 |

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,881,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible