The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition (original 1969; edition 2008)

by Eric Carle, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:JackieL1
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition
Authors:Eric Carle
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2008), Edition: Deluxe, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book. Interactive children book.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (699)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All languages (708)
I really liked this book for two reasons. First, I really liked how the author made the plot very simple but interesting to young students. The plot was basically that a caterpillar was hungry, he ate a bunch of different foods, built a cocoon, and then turned into a butterfly. I also liked how the author chose to use foods that the students were familiar with and to make it a counting lesson since each day the caterpillar at one more thing than the number he ate previously. It also has the repeated phrase "but he was still hungry." The children can repeat that line in a shared reading. The main idea of the story was to tell a funny story about a caterpillar. It is not informational as caterpillars have a longer lifespan than one week. It is slightly informational in that they do build cocoons and turn into butterflies, though. ( )
  rbanne1 | Sep 27, 2016 |
Eric Carle is the best! I read the book over and over to my children in the 1980's and 1990's. A treasure. ( )
  deldevries | Sep 23, 2016 |
I really like this book because of its wonderful illustrations that appear to have texture and make the story very interesting to not only children but people of all ages. I also like that the book is non fiction and walks you through the life of a caterpillar. The message of the story is that everyone changes throughout their lives. ( )
  ccox16 | Sep 21, 2016 |
The Very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle

I believe that The Very hungry Caterpillar is a very cute book to read to kids when they want a good laugh however, I am not sure how it can be very useful in teaching. The book may be a good book to practice reading. The illustrations are very colorful and would make the children to be more interested in the book because they get excited by all of the fun colors. The plot is very simple to follow, other than that the book can become boring after awhile. ( )
  MeganSiebeneichen | Sep 21, 2016 |
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is one of my favorite books. I remember reading it when I was in high school for a competition and I enjoyed every minute of it. This book is about a little caterpillar and its progress into a beautiful butterfly. The book illustrates how the caterpillar eats all this fruit and junk food and was still hungry, however; as soon as he eats a nice green leave the caterpillar gets full and goes into a cocoon, which then emerges into a butterfly.
I love this book, it is one of my favorites, it reminds me of when I was in high school and all the time I spent with one of my favorite teachers putting a presentation together with little puppets for a fccla star event.
I think you can do a lot with this book in a classroom, you can teach the life cycle of a caterpillar and how it turns into a butterfly. You could make little caterpillars, cocoons, and butterflies out of paper. You could sing songs that go along with the book. You could also learn a little about nutrition and what good foods that you should be putting into your body. There are a lot of things, I believe you can incorporate into the classroom with this book.
  angelasanders | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible