The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition (original 1969; edition 2008)

by Eric Carle, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

11,119723251 (4.36)133
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition
Authors:Eric Carle
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2008), Edition: Deluxe, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book. Interactive children book.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (712)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All languages (721)
I adore this book, the main message was to show that a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. The plot was very simple and is perfect for early readers, it can be used in a multitude of different subjects including math because of the counting aspect of the book. The story was very informational because it shows the readers that a caterpillar hatches from an egg, eats and becomes fat, and then becomes a butterfly. All of these different aspects of the story along with the simple yet adorable illustrations led the story to be very effective and enjoyable. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 26, 2016 |
The purpose of The Hungry Caterpillar is the transformation from a caterpillar to butterfly. I love this book, for a few reasons. First, the illustrations are bold and are a focal point of the book. As you flip the pages you can see how much more the caterpillar is eating. The illustrations are unique and allow even younger children to enjoy the book even if they cannot read yet. Secondly, the plot is organized and structured. The plot goes day by day of what the caterpillar is reading. It's a very simple plot because it's telling us what the caterpillar is eating on a daily basis, but its entertaining, because after everything he eats he is still hungry. Finally, I like this book because the writing is engaging and flows well. The writing is predictable and the author uses simple language which is fitting for the plot. The writing allows for the book to be used with sequencing or prediction. ( )
  baileywysong | Oct 25, 2016 |
This is a story about a caterpillar who eats until he is full and turns into a butterfly. This story follows a chronological time period where the caterpillar eats different numbers of food throughout the weekdays. This book is good for early elementary students who are beginning to count or are beginning to learn the days of the week or time. ( )
  adb067 | Oct 24, 2016 |
This book is a very informative book, discussing how much caterpillars eat as they prepare to go into a cocoon. The book also shows how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, teaching children about how the life of a butterfly. The colors are also spectacular, perfect for drawing in the attention of children. ( )
  BlaireEHill | Oct 22, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite books to read the children that I babysit for because they are mesmerized by the illustrations. I like how this book is funny for children and adults, like when the caterpillar eats too much and gets a stomach ache. Children and adults can both relate to this story, which is the key to a great children's book, in my opinion. Eric Carle's illustrations are breathtaking and one of a kind, which is why I believe this book is so loved and popular. I think the message of this story is to show and explain the transformation of caterpillars into butterflies in a kid-friendly way so that children can be inspired and amazed by nature. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 20, 2016 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,824,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible