The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Eric Carle

8,820481341 (4.35)107
Member:rfary1
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Philomel (1994), Board book, 13 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

Recently added bykkarns678, private library, christine_jones, nycke137, mary-fred, lisambar, debbyherring

English (477)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (480)
This is a very educational book. I remember my teacher reading this to my class when I was in kindergarten. This book is really fun to read to the young students because they really enjoy the colorful pictures. This book is important because it can help kids learn the transformations of a caterpillar to a butterfly. This is one of my favorite books from my childhood and I feel that this is a must read in every classroom. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 22, 2014 |
Summary:
This book starts off with a baby caterpillar egg on a leaf. The little caterpillar hatches with a very large appetite. As the days start to go on he begins to eat fruits, vegtables and then to more unhealthy deserts. The little caterpillar ends up having a huge belly ache. Then he eats a green leaf and feels better. He falls asleep as a big caterpillar and awakes as a beautiful butterfly.

Personal Experience:
I have a personal connection to this book for differnt reasons. As a child I remember this being one of my favorite books. I also read this book to my children all the time.

Classroom Extensions:
1. In my classroom I would have the students make paper puppets of the caterpillar and all the food and then have them act out the book in a group.
2. I would have the students discuss which foods would be healthy and better to eat for us and which foods would be unhealth. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary of book: This book starts off with a very hungry little caterpillar who has a growing appetite. Each day he eats one more thing starting with fruits and progressively going through desserts. He gets a tummy ache and eats a leaf to feel better. As the days go by and he eats more and more food, the caterpillar grows larger and larger. He then goes to sleep in his cocoon and eventually turns into a beautiful butterfly.

Personal reaction: I love this book. I read it to all of the children in the center and to both of my little sisters when they were smaller. I especially love how each day there are more holes that show where the caterpillar ate through the food. I love the vivid pictures and the beautiful colors that Carle uses. I also enjoy that it shows the progression of the caterpillars life and shows how it turns into a butterfly.

Extension ideas:
1. I would have my class draw pictures of the kinds of food they think they should eat to grow big and strong like the caterpillar.
2. I would have my class make their own caterpillar book where they show how much the caterpillar ate and what happens to him at the end.
3. I would cut out lots of pictures of different types of food and tell the children to pick out what they think would be good for the caterpillar and them to eat. ( )
1 vote Gizellecardiel | Jul 9, 2014 |
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a book that goes through part of the life-span process of caterpillars. The caterpillar starts off as an egg on a tree limb, he then turns into a very hungry caterpillar. We then follow him on his journey for food. He makes bad food choices at first then ends up with a stomach ache, he then eats a healthy food choice (a green leaf,) and feels much better. He then builds a cocoon and stays inside for two weeks, then pushing himself out into a beautiful butterfly.

I love this book for many reasons. Some of those reasons are this book uses enhancing interaction, if you were just reading the words you wouldn't know why he had a stomach ache. However, the pictures let you know that it was due to bad food. So, the pictures add meaning to the words. Another reason I like this book is because it helped show my kids that butterflies are not simply "born" butterflies. They have different stages of life just like we do. When they are inside an egg, like we are in our mothers womb. When they are caterpillars, like when we are babies through teenagers. Lastly, when they become big beautiful butterflies, like we become adults. The story is so fun and enjoyable with many lessons to be learned. The only character in this book was the caterpillar. The setting was outside (in a tree then the dirt, then a tree again.) This book has a happy tone and what looks like an omniscient point of view, as it seems to be told from a narrator.

A classroom extension idea could be to have "leafy" greens as a snake one day while reading this book to show the importance of our green vegetables. Another idea, maybe have a caterpillar as a classroom "pet" so the kids could see first hand how important their nutrition is, as is ours. We could also factor in fruits as they are good to eat as well.
  bm091113 | Jul 1, 2014 |
This book is about a Caterpillar who was born on a Sunday morning and who was very hungry. He ate through lots of fruit and then eventually lots of desserts which gave him a stomach ache. But then he ate a green leaf and was satisfied and he was no longer a little caterpillar but a fat one. He then wrapped himself up in a cocoon and came out after two weeks a butterfly.

I've always enjoyed this book it is a quick read and also teaches some counting and stages of a caterpillars life. I remember being read this in elementary school and its funny to think how I will probably never forget this book. The holes in the food that the caterpillar eats through adds to the book as well.

After children read this it will possibly add to their curiosity to nature and as a class they could find a class pet such as a caterpillar and watch him turn into beautiful butterfly. Also they could draw pictures of the three stages of this caterpillars life, being an egg, then a caterpillar, then finally a butterfly
  RaymondGraham | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible