The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Eric Carle

Member:rfary1
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Philomel (1994), Board book, 13 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

Recently added byprivate library, CorinasQuill, teachers.BFS, Brimclaughlin, BookEndsIntl, jennileemiller

English (481)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (484)
Summary- This book is about a caterpillar that eats and eats everything that he can eat. Until one day he gets too fat to eat anymore and builds himself inside a cocoon.Two weeks later, he becomes a beautiful butterfly!

Personal reaction- I enjoyed this book as a kid and still enjoy it just as much.This book teaches about the life cycle of a caterpillar and what steps it has to go through to become a butterfly.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. In the classroom, we could have a butterfly habitat and the kids would get to watch this caterpillar transform into a butterfly.
2. In the book, it has a repeating line " but he was still hungry!" and I could involve the kids by telling them that every time I rub my stomach for them to say that line with me.
  KelseaSchlumbohm | Aug 27, 2014 |
Summary- This book is about a caterpillar who is always very hungry. It eats anything and everything it sees. The caterpillar soon becomes very fat. One day, he builds a cocoon and later turns into a beautiful butterfly.

Personal reaction- I enjoyed this book because I also read this book as a young child. It's a great example of how change is not always a bad thing and can be a good thing also.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. In the classroom, I would teach the kids about metamorphosis and the process in how caterpillars change into butterflies.
2. While I'm reading the book, every time I read the line "but he was still hungry" I would have all the kids hold their stomachs and say it with me.
  brittanyblakesley | Aug 22, 2014 |
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a story of a caterpillar who has an unsatisfiable appetite, but one discovers that this is due to his journey to become a butterfly. I enjoyed the colorful illustrations of Eric Carle and loved the simple way the metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly is explained. One way this could be used in the classroom is with younger students, is have a conversation about eating healthy and identify all the different types of healthy and unhealthy foods in the book. For older students, they could watch a video with a time lapse of a caterpillar into a butterfly. Throughout the video the class could identify each stage of metamorphisis.
  yourfavhannah | Aug 21, 2014 |
My kids love the book but it's one of my least favorite Eric Carle books. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 9, 2014 |
This is a very educational book. I remember my teacher reading this to my class when I was in kindergarten. This book is really fun to read to the young students because they really enjoy the colorful pictures. This book is important because it can help kids learn the transformations of a caterpillar to a butterfly. This is one of my favorite books from my childhood and I feel that this is a must read in every classroom. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 22, 2014 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,340,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible