The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Eric Carle

Member:rfary1
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Philomel (1994), Board book, 13 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (636)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (640)
This is a very nice book for young children for three reasons: it introduces basic words, mine is a board book and has tactile's, and it is very short. This is a book that has basic words that all children need to know such as the days of the week and numbers. At the beginning, the caterpillar is eating through a different fruit on each day of the week. Also, there are mini-pages that have each day on its own 'page.' This is very repetitive, which is great for young children so they will know what it coming up next. Also, the book I have is a board book, so it will be easy for a young child to flip through. In addition, there are holes on each piece of food, so the child can feel the texture as they read the book. A teaching method could be to count the number of holes on the page. Finally, the book is very short. This will allow a very young child to read this book without getting bored. ( )
  rprotz2 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Sarah Durkin
Professor Martens
EDUC417
16 February 2016
Reading Log Entry #3: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by, Eric Carle
I loved reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle for many reasons. First, every page has a hole in it showing how much food the caterpillar went through each day. The hole was either big or small depending on how much he ate that day, but I think that it is something children notice and look forward to seeing on each page as the caterpillar is growing. I also like how children are able to focus on the basic concept of the days of the week, following the caterpillar all the way to the end of his journey on Sunday. They are able to count along, numbers 1-10, while looking at the illustrations of the different types of food. The most the caterpillar ate was on Saturday. “On Saturday he ate through one piece of chocolate cheese cake, one ice cream cone, one pickle, once slice of Swiss cheese, once slice of salami, one lollipop, once piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and a slice of watermelon.” Children are able to relate to what he ate according to if they like it or do not like it. Finally, I enjoyed how his whole journey throughout the book leads up to the readers discovering that he is no longer a caterpillar, but a “beautiful butterfly.” The cycle of life is something that everyone experiences and knows that there are many stages to living. I believe The Very Hungry Caterpillar was made to enrich children on knowledge about days of the week, the life cycle, and counting, which in my opinion, was done very well. ( )
  SarahDurkin | Feb 10, 2016 |
Summary:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is about a little caterpillar who, after coming out of his egg, eats everything in sight. He eats his way through copious amounts of fruit and junk food, only to get a terrible stomachache. After eating through a leaf, however, his stomachache calms down and he wraps himself in a cocoon. He then emerges into a beautiful butterfly more than two weeks later.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoy this book’s illustrations. I love how you can see and feel the foods the caterpillar has eaten through. This book really made me think about the foods that I consume, and made me realize that I should only be consuming foods that are nutritionally beneficial to me.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Have the children create their own caterpillar using washable finger paint.
2.) Have the children imagine what the caterpillar did after it emerged from the cocoon as a butterfly. They can create their own Eric Carle style scene with watercolor paints and scraps of paper.
3.) Teach the children about healthy eating, and bring different fruits and vegetables for them to try.
  JennyDodson | Feb 10, 2016 |
This book can really be good for grades K-2. Using this book you can teach them the concept of the digestion system and how the food moves through the body. You could also expand on the subject of food and incorporate a health class on what foods are healthy versus not healthy. The vibrant colors and illustrations can catch the younger kid's attention and help them focus more on the subject being taught. This book can also be used for more than just food. You could make it into a science lesson on how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. The transformation aspect of one creature turning into another will really intrigue children. ( )
  vross316 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I enjoy this book. I believe the big idea/ message is about growing up and the importance of staying healthy and strong in order to do so.
The main, and I'm pretty sure only thing I do not like as much (especially after reading through and reviewing other picture books) is the way the illustrations are drawn. I believe that for some children they may not be able to truly get a feel for certain foods/ items and what they look like if they have never before seen these things with their own eyes. Specifically, not a lot of young children are familiar with linked sausage and could potentially think that the image depicts a long balloon - at least that's what it looked like to me!
I *love* how there are smaller pages to represent smaller food amounts - this way students can really see which amount is bigger or smaller than another amount. This also allows to be engaged with the writing of the book and allows them to easily follow along and count with the teacher!
There's only one character, the caterpillar, who's eating human food. Although I know caterpillars do not eat human food I think for this books case, the caterpillar eating human food allows readers to connect with the caterpillar and allow students/ readers to be able to connect the foods they've eaten before to the foods this caterpillar had as one meal!
Overall, for it's targeted audience I think this book covers a lot of points and from a teachers perspective, could be taken in many directions to touch on many different things! ( )
  hfetty1 | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,259,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible