The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Eric Carle

Member:panfeng1115
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Philomel (1994), Edition: BRDBK, Board book, 13 pages
Tags:Children's book

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (792)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All (803)
Favorites
  Lori.Johnson | Jul 24, 2017 |
This is the story of a caterpillar's transition into a butterfly. The illustration capture the attention of the audience, because it allows them to see the foods and watch the caterpillar evolve.

I personally have always loved this book, when I was in elementary school the librarian made a 3'D caterpillar and 3'D food to make the book come to life.

I would plan an activity where the children bought in pictures from birth to their present age and create their own evolving story. This activity would include photos from book and magazines of their favorite foods that help them grow, and details of their milestones. This would be a great parent involvement activity. You could even just use photos from the beginning of the school year to the end of the school to do the evolvement activity. ( )
  LatriciaMurphy | Jul 14, 2017 |
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is about a caterpillar who just can't seem to get enough to eat. Then he got a stomach ache after eating eating way too much food. The next Sunday he ate through a nice green leaf and he felt much better. Now, he wasn't hungry anymore. He then build himself a house, a cocoon. After two weeks, he nibbled his way out of the cocoon in which he had transformed into a beautiful caterpillar.

I remember reading this book as a child. As I was reading it to my group of kids, I realized how fun it was to read this book. The colors are astounding and it shows the life cycle of a butterfly. I really enjoyed the nature of this book.

Extension Idea 1: Make Caterpillar and Butterfly Crafts

Children can have fun retelling the story with their own caterpillars and butterflies.

To Make Caterpillars: use discarded egg cartons, pipe cleaners, paints or markers.

Cut apart a carton to make a six-hump caterpillar.
Paint the carton including a face on one end.
Poke two holes for antennae and insert pipe cleaners.

To Make Butterflies: use basket shaped coffee filters, paints, pipe cleaners.

Fold the filter in half, then open it again.
Drip paint on the center fold. Let it spread and dry.
Pinch the filter in the center, then wrap a pipe cleaner around it to be the butterfly's body.

Extension Idea 2: • Counting: The numbers 1-5 are illustrated with the fruits in this book and would give good practice in counting. Using gummi fruits for counting practice would be fun. Use the fruits to teach the concept of how you if you add one strawberry + one orange, you have two “pieces of fruit” – NOT two strawberries or two oranges.
  chandra_B | Jul 13, 2017 |
Summary- This book is about a caterpillar that eats and eats everything that he can eat. Until one day he gets too fat to eat anymore and builds himself inside a cocoon.Two weeks later, he becomes a beautiful butterfly!

Personal reaction- I enjoyed this book as a kid and still enjoy it just as much.This book teaches about the life cycle of a caterpillar and what steps it has to go through to become a butterfly.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. In the classroom, we could have a butterfly habitat and the kids would get to watch this caterpillar transform into a butterfly.
2. In the book, it has a repeating line " but he was still hungry!" and I could involve the kids by telling them that every time I rub my stomach for them to say that line with me.
  John.Gonzalez | Jul 13, 2017 |
The picture book I have selected for chapter 3 is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".
The artwork in this book is extremely bright and accurate to real life settings. As Perry Nodelman says, " Pictures may even take longer to read than the text." This type of early "picture book" allows children to connect words with vision.
In some picture books the pictures give deeper meanings than the text provides. The saying a picture is worth a thousand words definitely comes into play when you encounter these types of picture books.
THe first activity I would do with this book is have the kids cut out circles that they draw, then connect the circles with glue. This will makethe cutest caterpiller for the kids to be able to take home with them. The second activity I would do with the students is using a semmetry block I would show the students how to make a butterfly. They would be allowed to make their own butterfly.
  Amandaspangler | Jul 6, 2017 |

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,167,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible