The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture Puffins) (original 1969; edition 2002)

by Eric Carle

Member:cniesen22
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture Puffins)
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Puffin Bks (2002), Paperback, 28 pages
Tags:Fruit, Numbers, Picture book, Board book, Children's book, Caterpillar, Butterflies, Days of the week

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (487)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (490)
This is realistic fiction because it shows you the progression between caterpillars and butterflies. While it isn't nonfiction because some of the food that are being consumed are a little far-fetched, it is a real progression of the life cycle of the caterpillar. ( )
  emilystrong | Sep 11, 2014 |
Summary: This story is about a caterpillar filling up his tummy with everything he sees. He then turns into a big fat caterpillar and builds his cocoon where he transforms into a beautiful butterfly. The art is abstract, with beautiful colors and shapes representing the caterpillar, butterfly, and the creative food. Children get to travel through each piece of food, just like the caterpillar.

Personal Reaction: I enjoyed the abstract illustration in this book. I also love the hidden learning throughout the book. Children can count the different kinds of fruits, talk about the days of the week, and learn about the life cycle of a caterpillar. I love to look at all the unique colors combinations, and every time you read the story you notice something different.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. You could read this book to a class so they could learn about the life cycle of a caterpillar. You then could have a cocoon in your classroom so the kids can see the butterfly come out.
2. If your class is working on the days of the week, your class could color a chart about what the caterpillar ate on each day.
  CiaraLohman | Sep 10, 2014 |
summary: the caterpillar hatches from its egg and begins on a life journey. he begins his journey by consuming many different types of food. he eats through a crazy amount of food all week long till he gets full and sick. after spending his life only consuming food,he is now ready to go into his cocoon and become a beautiful butterfly.

Personal reaction: I always loved reading this story as a child, the colorful pictures also help spark my interest the story also helps with teaching the kids to count as well. i would recommend this story for children that are beginning to read .

Classroom Extension: 1. have green construction paper cut into a circle, pass it out to the children and have the draw their favorite food on to the paper. then group the paper and make a giant hungry caterpillar go across the classroom .
2. on the projector board in the classroom have a picture of the very hungry caterpillar up, print out foods that the caterpillar consumes and as you go along reading the story have child volunteer and place the food object on the caterpillars body
  pambam_11 | Sep 10, 2014 |
Summary: A caterpillar is born and is trying to feed his hunger by eating through various foods throughout an entire week. After he eats through several different types of food he becomes fat and spins himself into a cocoon. A little more than two weeks go by and then he nibbled himself out of the cocoon and he turned into a butterfly.

Review: Erica Carle does it again with yet another amazing beginner reader book. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is an amazing book for young children to listen and/or read along to because not only is it a sweet story, but the children can learn about numbers, days of the week, and about the life cycle of a caterpillar. The pages of the book are also an interesting touch because they pages are all different sizes depending on the number of things that the caterpillar ate that day, which help children interact with the book.

Carle's central message of this book can be taken in several different directions, but I see his message deep rooted in healthy living. In the beginning of the book the caterpillar ate through "one piece of chocolate cake, one ice cream cone, one pickle" along with several other unhealthy foods for caterpillars and he had an awful stomach ache afterwards (p. 11). The very next day Carle shows that the caterpillar ate one green leaf and felt so much better, which can explain to children that if they eat junk food their stomachs will hurt and if they eat healthy food they will feel fine. ( )
  Kweber8 | Sep 9, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about a caterpillar who eats different foods for a week until he is finally full. Then he spins himself into a cocoon. After two weeks, he nibbles out of the cocoon and comes out a beautiful butterfly.

Personal Reaction:
Eric Carle is one my favorite illustrators. I love how he pieces together his art using different colors and painting techniques.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, we could eat a healthy snack by using cucumbers for the body of the caterpillar and tomato slices or watermelon for the head.
2. We could also have the children make their own paintbrushes using sponges, cooking utensils, stamps, etc. and create their own Eric Carle inspired painting of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. ( )
  angela.knox | Sep 4, 2014 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible