The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture Puffins) (original 1969; edition 2002)

by Eric Carle

Member:cniesen22
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Picture Puffins)
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Puffin Bks (2002), Paperback, 28 pages
Tags:Fruit, Numbers, Picture book, Board book, Children's book, Caterpillar, Butterflies, Days of the week

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (736)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All (745)
This book is vividly illustrated with large strokes of color. It starts at the beginning stages of a caterpillars life. He began looking for food. He starts on a Monday and goes through each day of the week eating something else and it counts how many he ate of the next food. The pages are different sizes and overlay and open on the next thing he ate. He was always hungry and kept eating. You could expand on this by eating these same foods for snacks, going over the days of the week or counting. You could talk about the types of foods he ate, salty, sweet, etc. You could talk about nutrition and making healthy choices. You could talk about the growth stages and maybe raise butterflies to release if it was the right time of the year. There are many clues the children could pick up on and help read aloud the book without reading the words. This is a great picture book. ( )
  AmandaMcClure | Jan 10, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book because the pictures were very engaging. This book is about a caterpillar who eats many different types of food throughout the day. For example, one of the picture shows him eating plums, another picture shows him eating pie. The book quotes, "on thursday he ate four strawberries, but he was still hungry." The big idea behind this book is that readers can learn how to count. ( )
  breannaamos | Dec 15, 2016 |
This book is about how a caterpillar was very hungry because it was trying to grow. Instead of eating healthy foods the caterpillar decides to eat a bunch of junk food. The caterpillar then ends up getting a stomach ache. I feel this is a good way to teach students to eat better to avoid getting sick.
  arikacosta | Dec 13, 2016 |
This is another childhood favorite. I had this in hard cover and even for a while had a pipe cleaner "caterpillar" that I could thread through the holes. I think my brothers eventually read it to the point of destruction, but my children have taken it out from the library several times now.

It's a simple story about a caterpillar that eats and eats until he forms a cocoon and turns into a butterfly. The ending is exciting for young children and they look forward to it. It's also fun to read a book that has some "nontraditional" aspects to it, like shortened, overlapping pages, and holes through the pages that the caterpillar has made. And of course, the illustrations are charming and vibrant as well. ( )
  LauraTwitchell | Dec 12, 2016 |
Summary: One day a little caterpillar hatches from an egg. This is a very hungry caterpillar who starts to eat through apples, pears, and all kinds of goodies. But when it gets full, the caterpillar changes and a beautiful butterfly emerges.

Critique/Review: The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a charming story. Its colorful pictures will draw children in and the book can be used for counting, colors, and just a fun story time.

Activity/Craft Elements: If you were the caterpillar, what kind of snack would you want to eat? Draw a picture! ( )
  lmguest | Dec 9, 2016 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja terbaru (Mar 9, 2010)

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,836,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible