The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover…

The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition (original 1969; edition 2008)

by Eric Carle, Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Member:TaylorOgne
Title:The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition
Authors:Eric Carle
Other authors:Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2008), Edition: Deluxe, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:play/filmscrip/song

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1969)

English (497)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (500)
The main idea of this book is the transformation of this caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. I liked this book for its repetition throughout the story, making it easy for the readers to pick up. For example, each time after the caterpillar eats a new thing the texts follows with, "....but he was still hungry!" I used this book for a lesson on shared reading and had the class follow along and repeat that phrase which helped connect the readers even more to the story. Another reason I liked this book was the illustrations which we also just learned in an art lesson. i liked it because his style is painting patterns on tissue paper and then cutting them out and pasting them into the shapes he wanted. I liked this because it looks like something I could do, have done, which makes me connect to the story more. ( )
  JamieLewis | Oct 13, 2014 |
This is a great book for young kids because it offers hands on holes in the pages that kids are sure to enjoy. The pictures are very colorful and very striking to the readers eye. This book also has an awesome ending.
  astinchavez | Oct 9, 2014 |
The Very Hungry Catepillar tells the process of a catepillars life. It starts with the baby catepillar coming out of his egg. Then, after eating and eating the catepillar goes into a cocoon. After two weeks of living in the cocoon, the catepillar has transformed into a beautiful butterfly.
Eric Carle has a very unique style when it comes to the pictures in his book. Young readers are immediately drawn to his stories. This would be a very good book to read to students when discussig the process a catepillar goes through to become a butterfly. ( )
  jpons | Sep 26, 2014 |
Summary: This story is about a caterpillar that eats different types of food for a entire week. The caterpillar eats a hole threw each food and at the end of the week ends up with a stomach ache. The caterpillar then builds a cocoon and sleeps in there. Then he comes out a beautiful butterfly.

Personal reaction: I really enjoyed this story. The colorful pictures would be great to capture children's attention. I really enjoyed the art work through out the story. This story had lots of learning opportunities.

Classroom extension:
1: This story could be used to name and learn the days of the week.
2. Also another great learning opportunity is numbers. This could be learned by having a flashcards and writing each item ate within that day of the week
  christianf | Sep 25, 2014 |
The message of this story is to teach children the importance of eating healthy. When the caterpillar was eating unhealthy foods he ended up with a stomach ache, when he ate the green leaf he felt much better and was satisfied. After eating the healthy leaf he was able to morph into a beautiful butterfly. I like the book because of the language and illustrations. The book presented a clear pattern. Through the days of the week that the caterpillar was eating different fruit the sentence structure was the same. “On Monday he ate through one apple, but he was still hungry.” “On Tuesday he ate through two pears, but he was still hungry, “ect. Through this section of the book the beginning and ending of the sentences are the same and the item that the caterpillar is eating is the fruit. This method makes it easier for the children to follow along with the story and to make predictions. The plot was very well organized, it builds suspense among the readers. It influences prediction making and questions. Throughout the book the caterpillar is eating a lot of food, and the question that the reader has is why. Another reason that I liked the book was because of the bright and familiar illustrations. The caterpillar eats through common food that many children have probably had or at least seen before. The book gives pictures of the caterpillar eating through various fruit, cake, ice cream, a pickle, cheese, salami, a lollipop, pie, a hot dog, muffin, and watermelon. There are also physical holes in each picture of food to show where the caterpillar was eating. ( )
  Bwatso12 | Sep 18, 2014 |
This is a great book because it can be a incorporated in many subjects, such as; days of the week, colors, life cycles, and insects. The plethora of extension activities this book brings is enormous.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Carle, Ericprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Christa.
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
He was a big, fat caterpillar.

This book is good to use to teach about healthy habits and how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399226907, Board book)

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf." So begins Eric Carle's modern classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. More than 12 million copies of this book have been sold in its original, full-sized edition, and the beloved tale of science and gluttony has been translated into 20 languages. This five-by-four-inch miniature edition is truly tiny, with tiny type, but it is a nice size for small hands to hold and flip through the pictures. Despite its diminished state, the book is complete in every detail, following the ravenous caterpillar's path as he eats his way through one apple (and the pages of the book itself) on Monday, two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, and so on, through cherry pie and sausage--until he is really fat and has a stomachache. And no doubt you know what happens next! Kids love butterfly metamorphosis stories, and this popular favorite teaches counting and the days of the week, too. A fun gift package for caterpillar fans. (Baby to preschool) --Karin Snelson

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.
A Look Inside The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Board Book)
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241003008, 0140569324, 0141380322, 0241141125, 0141380934, 0141338482, 0141339675, 0141340800, 0718199022, 024195956X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible